Windows 10: The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

Discus and support The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Windows 11 has become unstable; the taskbar crashes very easily/often, when it does it takes many things with it eg file explorer, firefox, I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lewis Evans3, Jul 15, 2024.

1. The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

My Windows 11 has become unstable; the taskbar crashes very easily/often, when it does it takes many things with it eg file explorer, firefox, I then have to reboot. After reboot, it’s usable for some time.I’m currently doing a workaround - never touch the taskbar, only a few file-explorer windows open.But it’s really weak. I don’t have any clarity on why this has begun happening. Crash description:click on taskbartaskbar itself then always show spinning icon; clock never updatestypically all file-explorer windows also crashwhen alt-tab to switch app, can see many apps' icons have

:)

Lewis Evans3, Jul 15, 2024

2. The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

My Windows 11 has become unstable; the taskbar crashes very easily/often, when it does it takes many things with it (eg file explorer, firefox), I then have to reboot. After reboot, it’s usable for some time.

I’m currently doing a workaround - never touch the taskbar, only a few file-explorer windows open.

But it’s really weak. I don’t have any clarity on why this has begun happening.

Crash description:

click on taskbar
    taskbar itself then always show spinning icon; clock never updates
    typically all file-explorer windows also crash
    when alt-tab to switch app, can see many apps' icons have changed to tiny icons
    and when try to switch to that app, just cannot get to it
    only remedy so far is to restart

My machine is a Dell XPS with 32 gig ram and windows 11. It has all latest windows updates.

I have run these scans and all reported no errors:

[admin cmd prompt] sfc /scannow
    [admin cmd prompt] all 3 dism.exe
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    in file explorer, find C drive; properties, tools, error checking, check
    [apparently this runs chkdsk under the hood]

system info

settings, system, about

device spec

Device name lewisevans-lp

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.6 GB usable)

Device ID BA71C17C-6404-4770-BE5C-E85280F3F9F2

Product ID 00355-60759-58978-AAOEM

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

windows spec

Edition Windows 11 Pro

Version 23H2

Installed on ‎04/‎05/‎2023

OS build 22631.3880

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1020.0

Lewis Evans3, Jul 15, 2024
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

To stabilise your Windows system, the best option would be to perform an in-place repair with the Windows 11 ISO.

Please follow the steps, this is then not like re-installing Windows, it is just like an update and your personal files, settings and installed software will not be affected.

Click this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

to download the Windows 11 ISO

When the ISO file completes downloading

Disconnect from the Internet

Disconnect all external devices with the exception of a mouse or keyboard.

Temporarily disable any 3rd party Anti-virus you may have installed

Then, in Windows File Explorer, double click the ISO and then run Setup.exe and select the Install option.

DaveM121, Jul 15, 2024
  4. The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

Regions speech not available despite correct language pack install

The issue still remains unresolved, as English (Australia) simply does not show up in the list despite following all suggested steps to date (which I had done previously)

ChristopherWatson_46, Jul 15, 2024
Thema:

The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

1. The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok - Similar Threads - taskbar keeps crashing

2. The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The taskbar keeps crashing in Windows 11, despite scans showing hard disc is ok: My Windows 11 has become unstable; the taskbar crashes very easily/often, when it does it takes many things with it eg file explorer, firefox, I then have to reboot. After reboot, it’s usable for some time.I’m currently doing a workaround - never touch the taskbar, only a few...
  3. Windows 11 Keeps Having "HARD CRASHES"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Keeps Having "HARD CRASHES": Greetings, So my problem is that after I updated my system to win11, I got the "HARD CRASHES" which themselves consider having super freezes, where you cannot even move a mouse, just like the monitor freezes and nothing works, so I have to turn the PC Off from Power button,...
  4. Windows 11 Keeps Having "HARD CRASHES"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Keeps Having "HARD CRASHES": Greetings, So my problem is that after I updated my system to win11, I got the "HARD CRASHES" which themselves consider having super freezes, where you cannot even move a mouse, just like the monitor freezes and nothing works, so I have to turn the PC Off from Power button,...
  5. Windows 11 keeps crashing despite clean reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps crashing despite clean reinstall: I have HPSpectreX360 15 inch with Intel I7 processor. The laptop crashed few weeks back and I tried to restore but no luck in resolving the crash problem. I did a clean reinstall of windows 11 and it worked for few days and started crashing again, no particular website but I...
  6. Windows 11 keeps crashing despite clean reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps crashing despite clean reinstall: I have HPSpectreX360 15 inch with Intel I7 processor. The laptop crashed few weeks back and I tried to restore but no luck in resolving the crash problem. I did a clean reinstall of windows 11 and it worked for few days and started crashing again, no particular website but I...
  7. scan disc on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    scan disc on windows 10: How can I make it run faster. Using Scan and Repair option . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scan-disc-on-windows-10/f999e1fd-12d7-49b7-a4f1-ef285048853d
  8. Scan disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scan disc: I cannot find a place on my computer to insert a microscan disc; can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scan-disc/6d35c91d-19b9-4ca0-8056-e8b28b877109
  9. hard disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disc: i bought a windows 10 machine and hadon C:Drive 117 gb of hard drive, i also have an extra on new Volume of E:Drive 1.36 TB my Question is i am running out on my C:Drive, HOW DO I GET TO USE THE E:Drive which holds 1.36 TB. i can not get to it as it will not let me get in...
  10. external hard disc showing for format disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard disc showing for format disc: while I connect my external hard disc with data shows for format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disc-showing-for-format-disc/a36ede3b-89f8-49e3-9511-7347823b0688"