Windows 10: The File Explorer mess

Discus and support The File Explorer mess in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For 40 years I have been using Windows with a file manager that showed on the left a vertical line with the sub-folders included into any folder I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rosv_297, Feb 8, 2021.

1. rosv_297 Win User

The File Explorer mess

For 40 years I have been using Windows with a file manager that showed on the left a vertical line with the sub-folders included into any folder I chose to look into.

Then, by simply clicking any file or sub-folder in the vertical line, I could open them or look into them.

That was simple and logical. It also enabled me to delete or transfer files among different folders or drives.

Since the last update of version 20H2 of Windows 10, when I open File Explorer I see an array of symbols, options and whatever else -- with Microsoft proudly explaining that, like with all things, File Explorer has finally got better!

Now it takes me between 10 minutes and half an hour to modify the arrangement of files inside my computer when, for the last 40 years, I could do the same operations in instants.

Could you please leave simple things simple?

:)

rosv_297, Feb 8, 2021
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Feb 8, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Feb 8, 2021
  4. The File Explorer mess

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

The File Explorer mess

1. The File Explorer mess - Similar Threads - File Explorer mess

2. File explorer colors messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer colors messed up: I recently updated to Windows 11 and my file explorer colors got messed up.Everything else looks fine for the normal dark mode.I've tried changing the theme to light mode and changing it back to dark mode but it didn't do anything. I updated to 23H2, but that didn't work...
  3. File explorer colors messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer colors messed up: I recently updated to Windows 11 and my file explorer colors got messed up.Everything else looks fine for the normal dark mode.I've tried changing the theme to light mode and changing it back to dark mode but it didn't do anything. I updated to 23H2, but that didn't work...
  4. File Explorer update created a crazy mess

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer update created a crazy mess: Hello !Recently, probably less than a week ago, Windows updated itself Win 11 Family - 10.0.22621 Build 22621 and completely changed the way the file explorer is displayed. Now, instead of finding my previously pinned files and folders, I'm presented with a "Home" page that...
  5. File explorer messed up by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer messed up by itself: All of a sudden, after a reboot, File Explorer on Windows 11 decided to break and is currently in an unusable state.Basically I have only "Home" and "Desktop" in the navigation Pane. See screenshots.Below "Desktop" I find all the folders of the computer. On my Desktop I see...
  6. File explorer messed up by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer messed up by itself: All of a sudden, after a reboot, File Explorer on Windows 11 decided to break and is currently in an unusable state.Basically I have only "Home" and "Desktop" in the navigation Pane. See screenshots.Below "Desktop" I find all the folders of the computer. On my Desktop I see...
  7. File Explorer is a complete mess

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer is a complete mess: Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe). Symptoms: - Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or takes over a minute to open - FE search bar doesn't register the first few keystrokes entered into the field - FE search...
  8. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/
  9. File explorer messes colors of black and white

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer messes colors of black and white: Hello, I don't know what I did to result in this or how to describe this accurately, please help [ATTACH] As you can see, the windows options are invisible, when I click them a menu shows (as it should) but as soon as I pass my cursor on the settings the text disappears and...
  10. File Explorer has become a real mess

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer has become a real mess: File Explorer, in the last few days, has become a real mess on my computers. (My Documents resides on a network drive, a D-Link DNS-323, which is mapped to the computer, and has been ever since the July release.) 1. Sometimes it takes File Explorer 4 or 5 minutes to allow...