Windows 10: The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

Discus and support The default compress files to zip asks for app to use in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the default compress files to zip on Windows 11 https://imgur.com/v35LjR3 asks me for an app to use to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GuineaPigFriend, Jun 21, 2024.

1. The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the default compress files to zip on Windows 11 https://imgur.com/v35LjR3 asks me for an app to use to compress files into zip https://imgur.com/CLZKqk4 where as the option of right clicking the file and pressing show more options, then using sent to to compress the file into a zip file works https://imgur.com/BranPdH . I'm not exactly sure what the issue could be but something that was also odd was that clicking on a standard PNG file asked me which app would i like to use to open it so not sure if that is related or not. I've r

:)

GuineaPigFriend, Jun 21, 2024

2. not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10

What is the default App set for the file type .zip at Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default by File type? Try setting 7Zip there to make sure it gets tried.

Next go into 7Zip File Manager in Apps list, try opening a zip file to see what happens.

Complete all other steps and report back all results.

Greg Carmack - MVP, Jun 22, 2024
  3. Daneth_M Win User
    Windows zip and unzip app download

To restore your default Windows zip and unzip app, you can follow these steps:

• Check for File Explorer: Right-click on a zipped file, select ‘Properties’, then ‘Open with’. See if File Explorer is listed.
    • Reinstall Default App: If File Explorer is missing, you can reinstall it through Windows Settings or use the ‘Apps & features’ option.

Remember, the default zip and unzip functionality is built into Windows File Explorer, so it should be available unless it’s been replaced by another application. If you’ve installed a third-party zip app, it might have taken over the association for zip files.

Daneth_M, Jun 22, 2024
  4. Arul_D Win User

The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

Zip and unzip files - Microsoft Support

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Jun 22, 2024
Thema:

The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

1. The default compress files to zip asks for app to use - Similar Threads - default compress files

2. The default compress files to zip asks for app to use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The default compress files to zip asks for app to use: Hello, I recently ran into an issue where the default compress files to zip on Windows 11 https://imgur.com/v35LjR3 asks me for an app to use to compress files into zip https://imgur.com/CLZKqk4 where as the option of right clicking the file and pressing show more options,...
  3. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file: hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and...
  4. Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant compress anything to a zip file, And windows just asks what app to open the selected file: hello, When I press the compress to zip option in the context menu, It just asks how to open the file. Ive done the standard sfc /scannow and the DISM commands, which didn't reveal errors, nor was the problem fixed. I'm also updated to the latest 23H2. Ive looked around and...
  5. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip: I'm having an issue where when I want to compress a file into zip in file explorer, it's asking me to open another application. Why is this happening? Doesn't File Explorer have the ability to zip a file for you as it does with unzipping? Please help....
  6. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip: I'm having an issue where when I want to compress a file into zip in file explorer, it's asking me to open another application. Why is this happening? Doesn't File Explorer have the ability to zip a file for you as it does with unzipping? Please help....
  7. File Explorer asking me to open a new application to compress a file into zip

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?

What zip compression methods are used by Windows File Explorer?: Hello,I am working for an organization that will be archiving extensive amounts of data for long-term storage. We rely on Windows File Explorer to compress and create zip files of our publications. For our archiving work, we want to follow the ISO standard for Document...
  9. File->Send to->Compressed zipped folder

File->Send to->Compressed zipped folder: Hi, File->Send to->Compressed zipped folder is no longer working on my surface which has windows 10. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-send-to-compressed-zipped-folder/ac0b441c-bb10-4f4e-91b9-3e0876439133
  10. not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10

not able to open zipped and compressed files using windows 10: up until just a few days ago I was able to open zipped/compressed files just by right clicking on them and clicking extract files. Now I just constantly a pop up saying "Cannot Complete the compressed (zipped) folders extraction wizard. and that the compressed (zipped)...