Windows 10: Tech support scam popup

Discus and support Tech support scam popup in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Robin6S, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Robin6S Win User

Tech support scam popup

A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer skills so would need a simple solution. Please...

:)

Robin6S, Dec 10, 2021

2. problem with browser Tech Support popup

@shall999

If you get these popups in Windows 8.1, it means that your computer is already infected.

You need to run some scans.

See this free, multi-step removal guide:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/

If need be, run multiple scans with each of the tools and also
    reboot after each scan.

Note: You might not need Hitman Pro.

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Dec 10, 2021
  3. Ms tech support is it a scam?

As already mentioned: Yes that's a scam.

All these kind of pop-ups are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:
    PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

Use the Task Manager to close your browser:

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

If you use Edge, see all of
    GreginMich
    's replies here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

Clear your temporary internet files and reboot. Do not restore the browser session.

After the reboot, the pop-up should be gone.

If not, follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

====

Also read/watch:

Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams

Tech Support Scams – Help & Resource Page

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Dec 10, 2021
  4. Tech support scam popup

Tech Support Scam

If you allowed them remote access either time, you have some work to do.

It's a common scam that you could have ended with the Task Manager. Now you must consider everything on your computer has been compromised. Passwords, PIN numbers, financial account information.
    A clean install of Windows is the best option and what I would do myself. See the following and decide if you want to tempt fate not knowing what they may have installed on your computer.

From Quietman, see: I have been hacked...What should I do?

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

And this from the FTC:

Tech Support Scams

How To Spot, Avoid, and Report Tech Support Scams

Next, follow the instructions here even if the pop up is gone.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/

Also run this tool.

SuperAntiSpyware (Free version)

Remove Malware & Spyware with Anti-Malware Software | SUPERAntiSpyware

Please read:

Breaking down a notably sophisticated tech support scam M.O.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-notably-sophisticated-tech-support-scam-m-o/

Bruce Hagen, Dec 10, 2021
Thema:

Tech support scam popup

1. Tech support scam popup - Similar Threads - Tech support scam

2. Bitlocker followed by tech support scam popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker followed by tech support scam popup: After booting an older laptop, I was greeted by a bitlocker prompt. Once I finished unlocking and restarting the system, I received the scan popup asking me to "not shut down and call this number". How compromised is this computer?...
  3. Bitlocker followed by tech support scam popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker followed by tech support scam popup: After booting an older laptop, I was greeted by a bitlocker prompt. Once I finished unlocking and restarting the system, I received the scan popup asking me to "not shut down and call this number". How compromised is this computer?...
  4. Tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tech support scam: Unfortunately, when I was at work yesterday, my wife fell for a tech support scam. There were "microsoft-looking" pop ups indicating the computer was hacked, there was a robot voice giving a warning, and there were instructions to call a number, which she did. She was on the...
  5. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  6. Tech support scam popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  7. Tech support scam popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  8. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  9. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  10. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...