Windows 10: taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users

Discus and support taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After I reinstalled my WIndows 10 UAC is prompting non admin users whenever they start taskmgr.exe via right clicking the taskbar or ctrl-alt-del or... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mescwb, May 29, 2024.

1. mescwb Win User

taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users

After I reinstalled my WIndows 10 UAC is prompting non admin users whenever they start taskmgr.exe via right clicking the taskbar or ctrl-alt-del or start menu. This happens despite Smart Screen / Application Guard on or off.On the other hand, if they start taskmgr from a prompt / CMD, UAC doesn't show up.I've made some research and found it relates to the EXPIRED sha256 CERTIFICATE used by Microsoft to sign it taskmgr.Well, I do not want to turn UAC off to these users.Has anyone ever heard of some way to set Windows UAC to disregard such specific, expired certificate?

:)

mescwb, May 29, 2024
  2. Superfly Win User

Run .BAT as admin without UAC prompt?

Any elevation from Standard user should produce a UAC prompt - that's a security feature - to run the script as Admin silently from a non-Admin a/c you will have to include the username and password when elevating it.

The work-around is running it from a Scheduled Task with System rights, thereby not hardcoding or exposing the password in the script - the caveat is the task will need to be created/imported under Admin rights.

Superfly, May 29, 2024
  3. Jonss11 Win User
    Disable UAC for non admin on domain

I have a Windows 11 computer. UAC doesn't allow me to lower the UAC settings for a non admin user on this computer. It keeps telling me to log in to an administrator account to do so but when I log into that administrator account it doesn't change it for the non admin user. I have tried with domain admin account and the local admin account and UAC is still active.

Jonss11, May 29, 2024
  4. ZB_11111 Win User

taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users

Program was able to install on non-admin account without UAC prompt, why?

So this might be a misunderstanding of what the UAC does, but on my non-admin account I was able to install the program Discord without an UAC prompt. It did not install into Program Files or Program Files(x86) but instead to C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\,
    but it still appears in the list of Programs and Features. This seems like odd behavior if the UAC can be avoided by changing the install location; is there some restrictions on what programs can do if they are not installed into Program Files or Program Files(x86)?

ZB_11111, May 29, 2024
Thema:

1. taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users - Similar Threads - taskmgr triggering UAC

2. taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users: After I reinstalled my WIndows 10 UAC is prompting non admin users whenever they start taskmgr.exe via right clicking the taskbar or ctrl-alt-del or start menu. This happens despite Smart Screen / Application Guard on or off.On the other hand, if they start taskmgr from a...
  3. taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskmgr triggering UAC prompt "to allow this app to make changes" to non-admin users: After I reinstalled my WIndows 10 UAC is prompting non admin users whenever they start taskmgr.exe via right clicking the taskbar or ctrl-alt-del or start menu. This happens despite Smart Screen / Application Guard on or off.On the other hand, if they start taskmgr from a...
  4. Allow to make changes to device when not an admin user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow to make changes to device when not an admin user: Hello, I'm using a Windows 11 laptop and need guidance on how to grant elevation privileges to a non-admin account. Specifically, I want this user account to have the ability to perform certain tasks typically reserved for admin accounts, without granting it full admin...
  5. Allow to make changes to device when not an admin user

Allow to make changes to device when not an admin user: Hello, I'm using a Windows 11 laptop and need guidance on how to grant elevation privileges to a non-admin account. Specifically, I want this user account to have the ability to perform certain tasks typically reserved for admin accounts, without granting it full admin...
  6. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  7. UAC not prompting admin credentials

UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  8. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?: Seems like the recommendation is to use a user account when logging to leaving the admin account to make changes to the computer. However, if the UAC (user access control) is set to always notify and the registry is set to always require a password. Does this fulfil the same...
  10. I need help with the UAC prompt (allow this app to make changes to your pc)!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help with the UAC prompt (allow this app to make changes to your pc)!: There are some apps on my pc (like origin, MSI afterburner and others) where every time I open them, the prompt shows up. Anyway to change it for those specific apps and not the whole OS? I’ve seen some 3’rd party apps but if there is a direct windows feature I’d love to...