Windows 10: Swapping C and D drives

Discus and support Swapping C and D drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Colin, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Colin Win User

Swapping C and D drives

Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and previously I have only had dropbox files save to the D drive and had the C drive to do everything else. What I want to do is have the 2TB of storage for the D drive and the 1TB of storage for the C drive. Is it possible to to be able to move the default program/start up files to the D drive and then swap drive letters?Thanks

:)

Colin, Dec 18, 2023
  2. Z25
    Z25 Win User

Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

I had some issues with updating Windows: Redirecting

I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my drives have swapped? Originally my C drive was the SSD and D drive was HDD but now they have swapped so C Drive is HDD and D is SSD.

How can you swap your drives?

3. DaveM121 Win User
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

Hi Bill, you can use a program like the free Macrium reflect to clone your C drive onto your D drive, then swap the drives around on the SATA ports on your Motherboard.

Pull the old C drive out and the other drive should then boot up . . .

DaveM121, Dec 18, 2023
  4. Swapping C and D drives

Problems swapping C drives when also using a single D drive.

I have 2 C drives (GAMES & VIDEO), both SSD with win10 but also have a "D" drive for files and downloads. Every time I swap the SSDs, I have access issues to D drive. I need to go into the folders on D drive to allow permission then go back to C drive to open a file (from D drive) with an app on C drive.

Got an idea its a security/sharing issue with Windows 10. Been doing this for years with other versions of windows and no problems. *Sad

catweazel111, Dec 18, 2023
Thema:

Swapping C and D drives

1. Swapping C and D drives - Similar Threads - Swapping drives

2. Drives C and D swap after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives C and D swap after windows 11 update: Good morning, The way my PC was originally set up was windows 10 was installed on my SSD C drive and I had an HDD D drive. Last night I updated to windows 11 via downloading the ISO onto a bootable USB. I boot the computer up using the USB and it brings me to the windows 11...
  3. Drives C and D swap after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives C and D swap after windows 11 update: Good morning, The way my PC was originally set up was windows 10 was installed on my SSD C drive and I had an HDD D drive. Last night I updated to windows 11 via downloading the ISO onto a bootable USB. I boot the computer up using the USB and it brings me to the windows 11...
  4. My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa.: My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa. Both drives are bootable Windows 10 drives, but the now C drive is almost 2 years older and not current. Tried changing the drive letters with computer management, but won't let me. I tried renaming the C drive to...
  5. My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa.: My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa. Both drives are bootable Windows 10 drives, but the now C drive is almost 2 years older and not current. Tried changing the drive letters with computer management, but won't let me. I tried renaming the C drive to...
  6. My drives have swapped. Boot Drive C is now F, and vice versa.

7. Swapped C and D drives where both now have all the operating system files and nothing else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapped C and D drives where both now have all the operating system files and nothing else: In prep to upgrade my internal 250GB SSD C drive due to its almost be maxed out for storage. I purchased EaseUS. It was recommended by many. I went to Clone but got an error message. Rather than proceeding I selected Chat. The "expert" said the software shows an error on the...
  8. Swapped C and D drives where both now have all the operating system files and nothing else

Swapped C and D drives where both now have all the operating system files and nothing else: In prep to upgrade my internal 250GB SSD C drive due to its almost be maxed out for storage. I purchased EaseUS. It was recommended by many. I went to Clone but got an error message. Rather than proceeding I selected Chat. The "expert" said the software shows an error on the...
  9. Will resetting a PC with the C and D drive letters swapped cause it to delete the wrong...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will resetting a PC with the C and D drive letters swapped cause it to delete the wrong...: I've already talked to a Microsoft support person about a problem I've had since yesterday morning.The problem being my C and D drive letters have been swapped, and me getting the Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE preventing me from getting further into my PC past the boot...
  10. Will resetting a PC with the C and D drive letters swapped cause it to delete the wrong...

Will resetting a PC with the C and D drive letters swapped cause it to delete the wrong...: I've already talked to a Microsoft support person about a problem I've had since yesterday morning.The problem being my C and D drive letters have been swapped, and me getting the Stop Code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE preventing me from getting further into my PC past the boot...