Windows 10: Stuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete"

Discus and support Stuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; so yesterday i went to reset my computer and i got to the part where it said "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete" it got to 100% pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ItsNathan, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ItsNathan Win User

Stuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete"

so yesterday i went to reset my computer and i got to the part where it said "scanning and repairing drive (cStuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete" :): 100% complete" it got to 100% pretty fast but after that it never moved it has been stuck like this for around 15 hours what do i do?

:)

ItsNathan, Oct 1, 2016

2. my laptop is stuck on scanning ans repairing drive after restarting

My computer is stuckwith a message" Scanning and repairing drive (C): 4% complete" it been there for hours. I've tried to reboot and it is stuck on welcome screen. Unable to close down to install or get into computer at all.

JohnPitblado, Oct 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 scanning and repairing C Drive on a 100%

Hi.

A colleague came in this morining and has turned her PC on to find the scanning and repairing screen. It is on 100% and still the loading circle is still actively turning.

It has been 3 and a half hours now and she needs to get on to her PC. I am just wondering what the consequence would be if just did a hard reboot? Would damage any settings given it's already at 100%?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ben

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Ben Featherstone, Oct 1, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

At some point, you're going to have to power off and power back on and see what happens. Sigh. Welcome to the wonderful and incredibly exciting world of Windows troubleshooting. If you're lucky, it got stuck after all the important bits were fiddled and things will be OK. If not, you'll have to try again, and may very well end up having to make a clean (re)install, and proceeding from there. But you can't do anything until the PC starts running again. So, cross your fingers, hope for the best, and cycle the power. Then report back here...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 2, 2016
  5. AlexD Win User
    Hi there.
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but thought saves making a separate one.

I had this same problem.
    So I power cycled the laptop which now just has a spinning circle when you start it and does nothing else.

The laptop is a Toshiba satellite p50 c 128 running Windows 10.
    I was doing a full reset including cleaning the drive afterwards.

AlexD, Oct 3, 2016
  6. AlexD Win User
    Update
    After it sitting there for 10 minutes doing nothing, I turned the laptop off and left it off for 10 minutes.
    When I turned it back on it started installing windows immediately.

.... windows *shrug*

AlexD, Oct 3, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    That's the Windows troubleshooting experience, all right. Keep trying and hope for the best. If all else fails, you can do a clean install and start completely over.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 3, 2016
  8. Stuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete"

Good morning.
    So I did a full reset on my desktop ( Dell 1 yr old ) running Windows 10 . Reason I factory reset was due to a " the remote procedure call failure " message when I would try to load pictures onto the desktop or even view photos. I followed a few links online but still did not work. I started the reset around 10:00pm fell asleep awoke at 7am to check on it & it was on scanning & repairing drive C 100% . I figured I'd leave it alone for a while I checked on it 3 hours later & it was still on the same screen. So I decided to turn it off & turn it back on & now it's on a all black screen with the little dial on the center black screen. I'm not computer savvy at all so is there a easy solution for this ?

Mikegarcia0224, Oct 15, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    To mangle the old Bill Clinton quote "That depends on what you mean by 'easy'!" In truth, you are facing some kind of system repair or install repair. You will find lots of guidance about this all over the site, but the broad outlines are as follows:
    1. Figure out how to boot your system into the repair or recovery environment. You may be able to reboot unsuccessfully three times in a row, and then your built-in recovery environment might kick in. OTOH, you might need to boot from a bootable flash drive or DVD with the Windows installer or a recovery environment in place (look for discussions of Kyhi's recovery disk in the forums).
    2. Once you boot your system from alternate media, you can try various kinds of repair. You can ask the system to roll back to a restore point or a disk image prior to the reset (if it can find one). These will involve the least amount of time and pain to return you to working condition.
    3. It may prove necessary to wipe the drive and perform a clean install of Windows 10. This will also mean reinstalling all applications and restoring all settings and will wipe out all your personal data and info on the boot/system drive. You do have a backup, I hope!
    Keep asking for more help as you digest this advice, and look around for related tutorials on the site: there are gobs of them!
    Best wishes, and sorry for your trouble.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  10. rel1994 Win User
    ATTENTION!! I had the same issue, however i finally figured it out. I had a USB dongle for a wireless mouse connected to my laptop and that was causing the infinite loop. As soon as I removed it BOOM Windows started installing. So make sure any unnecessary peripherals or flash drives are connected to your PC. G'day!

rel1994, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Stuck on "scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete" - Similar Threads - Stuck scanning repairing

2. Stuck repairing and scanning c drive 100% complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck repairing and scanning c drive 100% complete: On start up my computer says scanning and repairing drive c 100 % complete but appears stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-repairing-and-scanning-c-drive-100-complete/5b4db4e3-afbd-4a69-b53a-4f71492d3aa1
  3. Stuck repairing and scanning c drive 100% complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck repairing and scanning c drive 100% complete: On start up my computer says scanning and repairing drive c 100 % complete but appears stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-repairing-and-scanning-c-drive-100-complete/5b4db4e3-afbd-4a69-b53a-4f71492d3aa1
  4. Stuck repairing and scanning c drive 100% complete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete: I have stuck on the screen Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete over 6 hours. Even i was tried to turn off my laptop but couldn't do as i was pressed the power button for 8-10 seconds however it's not turning off so Could someone guide me to resolve the issue?...
  6. Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete: I have stuck on the screen Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete over 6 hours. Even i was tried to turn off my laptop but couldn't do as i was pressed the power button for 8-10 seconds however it's not turning off so Could someone guide me to resolve the issue?...
  7. Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete

8. Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete

Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete: I have stuck on the screen Scanning and repairing drive C 100% complete over 6 hours. I am hesitant to turn off the computer because I don't have any backup. What can I do?...
  9. Stuck at “Scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck at “Scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete”: So I ran a chkdsk on my m.2 ssd because i was told to do so because some of the files on my ssd were corrupted, I started the chkdsk and not even 5 minutes after the reboot, it says “Scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete”, idk if I should turn it off, or just let...
  10. Scanning and Repairing Drive C 100% Complete - STUCK

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scanning and Repairing Drive C 100% Complete - STUCK: When my computer does a chkdsk /r, and restarts, the scan will get stuck on 100%. I've let it sit for over 16 hours and it stays stuck. If I hit the reset button, it''ll restart, the Scanning and Repairing Drive C 100% Complete momentarily comes up, but then it moves forward...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scanning and repairing drive c 100% complete

2. Scanning and repairing drive (c:): 100% complete

3. scanning and repairing drive at 100%

4. scanning and repairing drive (C:):100% complete,
  5. frozen on scanning and repairing drive 100% complete,
  6. scanning and repairing drive (C): 100% complete its stucks,
  7. scanning and repairing after factory reset,
  8. scaqnaning and repairing the drive (\\?\SystemPartition): 100% complete