Windows 10: storage space taken after moving the file

Discus and support storage space taken after moving the file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I didn't have enough space for extracting a zip and it lead to an error I cancel the process but after moving the file to another drive there's still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nastaran sobhi, Oct 23, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

1. storage space taken after moving the file

I didn't have enough space for extracting a zip and it lead to an error I cancel the process but after moving the file to another drive there's still space taken by the zip, is it possible that the unfinished ones weren't deleted? how to fix it?

:)

nastaran sobhi, Oct 23, 2024 at 10:13 PM
  2. MarkMcK Win User

Windows Storage Spaces -- Moving a Physical Disk

Hope the following review/summary of my recent experimenting with Microsoft Storage Spaces will be of use to others. Sorry if this is too 'verbose'... The steps I performed/show could be used in one of several scenarios...

1] If you physically remove a disk from a functioning Storage Space without going thru Storage Spaces in the Control Panel first. 'How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10'

2] If there is a failure of a disk in a Storage Space [two-way mirror]

3] If there is a failure of the computer hosting the Storage Space [again a two-way mirror].

In scenario 2 you can replace the failed disk and press-on. But if you want/need to get the files off the remaining 'good' disk or in the case of scenario 3 you have no other option, you can physically remove the disk from the computer and connect to another. In my case, moving a 2.5" SSD [Identified in the Desktop Pool as 'SamsungSSD2'] from a Windows 10 Home Desktop to a Windows 10 Home Laptop and connecting with USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter/Cable.

When connecting the 2.5" SSD to the laptop got a Notification 'Check Storage Spaces for issues'

storage space taken after moving the file 288849d1595269636t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-untitled.jpg

Windows displayed 'Microsoft Storage Space Device' in both Device Manager, Disk Manager and Explorer...

storage space taken after moving the file 288859d1595270380t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c11.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288854d1595269686t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c12.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288856d1595270249t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c13.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288857d1595270267t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c14.jpg

All of the files stored on SSD2 were accessible thru Explorer. So at this point we can copy any/all the files from the Desktop's two-way mirror.

I can't speak to what would happen or the steps needed if you wanted to physically return the drive to the Desktop's original two-way mirror. The most straightforward option would be to build a new mirror on the Desktop from scratch and go from there.

At this point on the laptop, Windows treats the drive as a Storage Space [albeit in a 'Reduced resiliency' state]. The following steps will guide you thru how to get the SSD 'out' of Microsoft's Storage Space.

On the laptop, under Control Panel; Storage Spaces we are presented details about the Storage Pool as created on the Desktop, to include name of the Storage Space and the details about the Physical drives making up the original Two-way mirror. It happily finds SSD2, but SSD1 is missing. Hence the 'Warning' about 'Reduced resiliency...'. These details must be coming from somewhere on SSD2. I was not successful in finding out much about how/what is on a Storage Spaces Two-way mirror other than info on this Microsoft Blog in 2012

From here I selected 'Change Settings'; From there chose to 'Delete' the Two-way mirror Storage Space

storage space taken after moving the file 288860d1595270648t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c15.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288861d1595270665t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c16.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288862d1595270679t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c17.jpg

This deletes the Two-way mirror Storage Space, but we still end up with the two drives in the Pool. A simple matter to 'Delete Pool'

storage space taken after moving the file 288863d1595270699t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c18.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288871d1595272046t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c19.jpg

And we end up here in the Control Panel...

storage space taken after moving the file 288865d1595270731t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c20.jpg

SSD2 now appears in Disk Management and Windows Explorer

storage space taken after moving the file 288869d1595271696t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c21.jpg

storage space taken after moving the file 288870d1595271710t-windows-storage-spaces-moving-physical-disk-c22.jpg

Of note... There were NO files from the Desktop Two-way mirror on SSD2 once we got to this point in the process!

Please, add/correct as needed since this was done in a bit of a rush.

3. Move Storage Spaces

How to move Storage Spaces (two-way mirror) from an old Windows 10 computer to a new Windows 10 computer?

4. storage space taken after moving the file

Storage Spaces capacity error

Hello,

There are many factors that can cause the Storage Spaces to malfunction. One of these is insufficient data storage. Another possible source is hidden or unknown corrupted files.

It is a best practice to delete temporary files and downloaded files that you no longer need. Emptying the recycle bin is also recommended. Additionally, moving or saving files to another drive will give you more room to store your documents.

To rectify your concern, we suggest running the Disk Cleanup utility. This is designed to free up disk space on a computer's hard drive. This has also been proven to resolve storage errors since it scans and analyzes the hard drive for files
    that are no longer in use. It will then remove the unwanted or incomplete files to save space. Refer to this article: Disk
    cleanup in Windows 10
    for the simple steps on how to use it.

Feel free to inform us regarding the status of this concern.

Thema:

storage space taken after moving the file

1. storage space taken after moving the file - Similar Threads - storage space taken

2. storage space taken after moving the file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storage space taken after moving the file: I didn't have enough space for extracting a zip and it lead to an error I cancel the process but after moving the file to another drive there's still space taken by the zip, is it possible that the unfinished ones weren't deleted? how to fix it?...
  3. storage space taken after moving the file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    storage space taken after moving the file: I didn't have enough space for extracting a zip and it lead to an error I cancel the process but after moving the file to another drive there's still space taken by the zip, is it possible that the unfinished ones weren't deleted? how to fix it?...
  4. Half of the disc storage is taken but no files present

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Half of the disc storage is taken but no files present: Hello There! I have a problem, I was at my home dong nothing when i found a Sony DVD-R disc laying so i picked it up and loaded in my laptop, i have noticed there are some files that i don't need but i backed it yp in my other drive, then i began to format the disc and it was...
  5. Half of the disc storage is taken but no files present

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Half of the disc storage is taken but no files present: Hello There! I have a problem, I was at my home dong nothing when i found a Sony DVD-R disc laying so i picked it up and loaded in my laptop, i have noticed there are some files that i don't need but i backed it yp in my other drive, then i began to format the disc and it was...
  6. Moving from Dynamic Disk to Storage Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from Dynamic Disk to Storage Space: During setup of my gaming PC I created a mirror dynamic disk on the 2 data disks because The Internet suggested it. Now I know this was a bad idea since it de-synchs more often than it should even if the disks ran 24/7 since the early '80s. Is there an easier way than...
  7. Windows Storage Spaces -- Moving a Physical Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Storage Spaces -- Moving a Physical Disk: Hope the following review/summary of my recent experimenting with Microsoft Storage Spaces will be of use to others. Sorry if this is too 'verbose'... The steps I performed/show could be used in one of several scenarios... 1] If you physically remove a disk from a...
  8. Moving away from Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving away from Storage Spaces: I would like to migrate my disk array out of the storage space and into a better and easy to manage disk array. Planning on removing one drive at a time in SS and continue to use the actual hdds I have. Looking for advice on which raid or whatever I should use. I'm wanting...
  9. Free up space taken by Update files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free up space taken by Update files.: How can i free up space taken by uninstalled update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-taken-by-update-files/939fa1c7-42e5-49be-a5f8-195a4e45f3ef"
  10. Moving files to cloud storage?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving files to cloud storage?: Hey guys, I sound dumb for asking this has stupidly I never backed up files until recently onto cloud (until my hard drive failed with pictures I can't get back) Can I move files/software to windows cloud and delete them off my hard drive to free up some space? Thanks...