Windows 10: Steam games don't work, task manager freezes

Discus and support Steam games don't work, task manager freezes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just bought and built a new PC and I am having some problems. I can open steam but when I try to run any games it launches and immediately freezes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Irina Il, May 10, 2024.

1. Irina Il Win User

Steam games don't work, task manager freezes

I just bought and built a new PC and I am having some problems. I can open steam but when I try to run any games it launches and immediately freezes. I'll close the game with task manager but then it will stop responding and steam will say its still running. Then the Discord stops running as well. So weird.

:)

Irina Il, May 10, 2024

2. Need assistance with game crashes and freezes after changing PC location

I recently relocated my stationary PC, and since then, I've been experiencing issues with both Steam games and other games. Specifically, when launching Steam games, the loading screen freezes after a few seconds, causing Task Manager to crash, ultimately requiring a PC restart. Additionally, non-Steam games tend to close abruptly after 2-3 minutes of gameplay.

Error Message: No specific error messages are displayed; however, the loading screen freeze for Steam games prompts Task Manager to crash.

System Information:

• Operating System: Windows 11
    • PC Specifications: GPU gigabyte R69xt gaming oc, CPU i5 13600k, etc.
    • Game Platform: facing issues with Steam games or other gaming platforms like epic games
    Actions Taken: I have already taken the following steps to address the issue:

1. Updated all drivers.
    2. Attempted various troubleshooting methods found online.
    3. Updated the BIOS to the latest version.
    Despite these efforts, the problem persists, and I am unsure about the root cause. Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

AlexDanilescu, May 10, 2024
  3. Task manager not responding when any game is frozen or stuck. Windows 11

Hello, please help me Steam games don't work, task manager freezes :)

My problem is: When I play any game, could by Mafia 3, A Way out or COD: Black Ops 2 for example, the game repeateadly froze/not responding from unknown reasons. In that case i am forced to use Task manager or Process Explorer to end that task. In most cases i have success: task manager working.

But then, when i end the task and get back to Windows desktop and reopened task manager, task manager doesn´t work/respond. In that situation, i can only see names of tasks without actively moving or showing CPU usage and other stuff. When i try to close task manager it's stuck and after multiple click on X to close, it turns blank and task man. starts sending error message to Microsoft. I cannot even reopen the game to try another play, because the game froze at the start of it and i cannot use the task manager to end this because he is frozen too.

When i try to end that tasks through Process Explorer or other CMD commands the answer to that Is always the same: Unable to terminate process, access is denied. I have full administrator rights set on my PC account. This problem is same for some other programs like AMD Software or any other game. Simply cannot be opened and closed smoothly. I can only see background processes running in Process Explorer without any chance to kill that tasks. Google Chrome works fine, settings of system works fine but games and some programs don´t. To solve all this i repeateadly need to restart PC, but when i get some in-game problem, like Black screen or unresponsiveness it happens all again. Until that stuck/Froze/error thing happens the PC works fine and games works fine too.

What i tried:

• sfc /scannow command - repeateadly no problems found

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - all without any problem, repeateadly.

• Factory reset of system without keeping files.

• chkdsk /f cmd command

• Clean boot of system
    • Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B.
    • Restart computer, check drivers, everything is updated and it still happening.

I don´t want to restart computer almost every time that happened to temporarily solve this.

Thank you Steam games don't work, task manager freezes :)

Jarda Kuliferda, May 10, 2024
  4. Steam games don't work, task manager freezes

Windows 10 Steam game crashes

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Does the issue occur only with Steam games or all games?
    • Are you able to view videos?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card driver by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 10, 2024
Thema:

Steam games don't work, task manager freezes

1. Steam games don't work, task manager freezes - Similar Threads - Steam games don't

2. Steam games not launching, task manager freezing, but everything else works perfectly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not launching, task manager freezing, but everything else works perfectly.: Hi! I’ve been having the strangest problem with my PC and am really not sure what else I could try.Brave browser first started to act odd; it only shows a white/blanc screen but I can still close the window as normal by guessing where the button is. Then I noticed my games...
  3. Steam games not launching, task manager freezing, but everything else works perfectly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steam games not launching, task manager freezing, but everything else works perfectly.: Hi! I’ve been having the strangest problem with my PC and am really not sure what else I could try.Brave browser first started to act odd; it only shows a white/blanc screen but I can still close the window as normal by guessing where the button is. Then I noticed my games...
  4. Steam games don't work, task manager freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games don't work, task manager freezes: I just bought and built a new PC and I am having some problems. I can open steam but when I try to run any games it launches and immediately freezes. I'll close the game with task manager but then it will stop responding and steam will say its still running. Then the Discord...
  5. Steam games not running, task manager not responding, and problems with user profile...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steam games not running, task manager not responding, and problems with user profile...: I just bought and built a new PC and I am having some problems. I can open steam but when I try to run any games it launches and immediately freezes. I'll close the game with task manager but then it will stop responding and steam will say its still running. If i restart 2/3...
  6. Steam games not running, task manager not responding, and problems with user profile...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steam games not running, task manager not responding, and problems with user profile...: I just bought and built a new PC and I am having some problems. I can open steam but when I try to run any games it launches and immediately freezes. I'll close the game with task manager but then it will stop responding and steam will say its still running. If i restart 2/3...
  7. Steam freezes when installing a game

in Windows 10 News
    Steam freezes when installing a game: [IMG]When downloading and installing a game from the Steam Store, if the Steam Launcher stops responding and freezes then this post will help you. This can be due to various reasons, such as a corrupted download cache or conflicting apps. However, there are other potential...
  8. How To Freeze Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Freeze Task Manager: Sometimes I have something that I can't shut down so I go to Task Manager to find the process and kill it. But Task Manager keeps updating and the rows jump up and down so frequently I can't find the process, highlight it, instruct to kill it. How can I 'freeze' task manager...
  9. Power off and task manager don't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power off and task manager don't work: Hi everyone, I'm experiencing some trouble with my surface book 2. When i press the Windows button and try to turn off the computer, all the usual buttons turn off,reboot,etc... are not there. Instead there is a sentence saying "Power saving options are not available at the...
  10. Task Manager hidden when game freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager hidden when game freezes: I think this is just a messup on the programmers part of Windows 10. I say this because I used Windows 7 and 8 since well... they came out and ALWAYS when I brought up the Task manager it would override the program I was currently in and show its window on top. I was...