Windows 10: Slow boot caused by Secure Boot

Discus and support Slow boot caused by Secure Boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently added an NVMe SSD to my laptop to use as the system drive. But boot was slow, averaging about 65 seconds from pushing the start button to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by larc919, Jan 1, 2021.

1. larc919 Win User

Slow boot caused by Secure Boot

I recently added an NVMe SSD to my laptop to use as the system drive. But boot was slow, averaging about 65 seconds from pushing the start button to the Windows desktop. Turning off Secure Boot got boot time down to about 24 seconds. Still not creating any records, but at least much better. How important is it to have Secure Boot functioning? Is there anything I could do to speed up boot times with it turned on?

:)

larc919, Jan 1, 2021

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Jan 1, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Slow boot

Hi Craig,

Boot performance may slow can be due to corruptions. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried booting up your laptop in Safe Mode and check if the issue still persist?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Slow boot caused by Secure Boot - Similar Threads - Slow boot caused

2. Secure boot causing black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot causing black screen: Every time I enable secure boot my monitor goes black screen after saving changes and leaving the bios . I am able to restart pc and turn secure boot off and the screen starts working again and let’s me sign in. However I need secure boot on to upgrade to windows 11 need help...
  3. Secure boot causing black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot causing black screen: Every time I enable secure boot my monitor goes black screen after saving changes and leaving the bios . I am able to restart pc and turn secure boot off and the screen starts working again and let’s me sign in. However I need secure boot on to upgrade to windows 11 need help...
  4. Secure boot causing black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. KB5010342 causing slow boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5010342 causing slow boot up: We have recently noticed all the Windows 10 PCs in our environment are slow to boot up. For instance, a PC that would normally boot up in under 30 seconds is now taking just over 2 minutes. My test system was affected by this. I reimaged it and it was back to a 30 second boot...
  6. KB5010342 causing slow boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5010342 causing slow boot up: We have recently noticed all the Windows 10 PCs in our environment are slow to boot up. For instance, a PC that would normally boot up in under 30 seconds is now taking just over 2 minutes. My test system was affected by this. I reimaged it and it was back to a 30 second boot...
  7. KB5010342 causing slow boot up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Slow boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot: Hello everyonePlease I need help, in windows 7, I know it's dated but the 'starting windows logo' part takes way longer after installing a lot of performance and sercuirty updates, welcome part is pretty fast but starting windows takes around 2 minutes, please help. Deleting...
  9. Secure Boot cause me to loop to BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure Boot cause me to loop to BIOS: I am having issue upgrading to windows 11I was able to correct my PC's TPM 2.0 issue,But, when I did the secure boot option enabled. My PC won't load my windows, it just keeps looping back to my BIOS.I don't know what to do. And I don't have the extra money to pay for an...
  10. slow boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot: hello everyone, the build number of the system is 19042.546 ssd on the slot m2 is patriot viper vpn 100 1 TB i am sending the file from windows performance recorder it happens from the second start after a clean installation link here...