Windows 10: Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Discus and support Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; You will only see the first name in the password dialog, and not the email address. What happens when you enter the password of your Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by gzt7d8, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

I thought I had done this before, but maybe this will be different so I tried it again. It must of been different because it worked. Needed to leave the room for a while after rebooting, but when I returned the screen was at my desktop.

Many thanks for the help, and if this is not the final chapter with this, I will return. THANKS!

cyclone3211, Feb 13, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. I'm happy to hear that you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Curious Win User
    Thank you for your tutorial.
    I am setting up a new Windows 10 PC for a disabled person. I created a "guest" account for her (Dorothy) with limited capability and no Microsoft account using the tutorial at Windows 10 - Create a Guest Account in Windows 10 - YouTube

I need to allow Dorothy to login automatically without needing a password. Of course the Admin account must retain a password login but I am stuck at step 5 of your tutorial. I can only find settings to allow everyone to login automatically instead of just Dorothy. See attached screenshot.

Sorry for my confusion but how do I make only Dorothy login automatically?

Thank you

Curious, Feb 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Hello Curious, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You can use OPTION ONE in the tutorial on the first page to set Windows to automatically sign in to only Dorothy's account at startup.

Brink, Feb 18, 2016
  5. I've used the method on previous occasions when not having any password assigned simply to change the binary 0 to 1 value. For the volume of VM and other traffic regarding Insider builds however I know have to log into MS accounts constantly to keep tabs on things as well as be ready for the next build. While the main build saw Option One put to use Option Two was used for the second remote desktop here and will also likely need to be applied to the VMs overall on both machines!

Note having just applied this to both desktops not having restarted the main the remote pc automatically saw the desktop load as expected. I expect the main to also be seeing this as well but with Option One having been the method used. I just referred someone to the guide here who was looking for information on 10's ability to see this since the user recalled this on 7. Can't get any better then reviewing a guide that works! *Smile

Night Hawk, Mar 27, 2016
  6. cwodavids Win User
    I have a similar problem, however up until yesterday I did not have a Microsoft account with an @Hotmail.com email associated with my Windows 10 laptop. All of a sudden yesterday, I had an @Hotmail.com account and I required a password; I did not change any settings to change this!

Frustrations with Microsoft forcing settings on me aside, I cannot disable the password portion of the login. Previously I just had to double click at the logon screen and it would log me in. I have tried both options with no luck and option 2 does not have the registry entry you are talking about (see screenshot).

Any ideas where to go from here as I am shortly going to put my fist through the screen after 3 hours of trying numerous options!!!*Mad

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup [​IMG]

cwodavids, Jun 29, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello cwodavids, *Smile

It sounds like you may have opened an app that required a Microsoft account, and you didn't click on Sign in to just this app instead when signing in to the app with your Microsoft account causing your local account to switch to a Microsoft account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...l-account.html

OPTION ONE in the tutorial works with Microsoft accounts at startup as well. If you like, double check to make sure that you selected the correct "User Name" for the Microsoft account and entered the correct password.

If you don't want a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10 with, then you can switch it back to a local account using the tutorial below, and use the tutorial above to only sign in to an app with a Microsoft account instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 29, 2016
  8. cwodavids Win User

Success... Kind of, I am now back onto a local account but still have the @Hotmail.com account showing at the bottom left of the login page.

cwodavids, Jun 29, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Good news so far. Double check to make sure that you undid option 1 and 2 in the tutorial on the first page here for the @Hotmail.com account to see if that removes it.

Brink, Jun 29, 2016
  10. An update to offer here about the second remote test pc in use. With the latest sudden increase in number of new builds I found Option Two was never fully completed as well as opting for Option One with both set fully seeing "Instant Results"! That problem of not seeing the Admin avatar at startup on the lock screen that appears briefly is also explained now by the automatic Winlogin not allowing time since there is no longer any stop at Lock for selecting the account to sign into.

Note I wanted a second Live Hotmail account in use as the automatic login over the Local or original which had been used initially before the present MS account existed for this second system. Creating and assigning a second new MS account might be a consideration as well if not having another account to substitute with. The Privacy setting found under "Start>Settings>Accounts>Sign-in options" will have to switched to the Off position to avoid seeing email acccount information displayed on the Lock/Sign in screen at startup time.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup [​IMG]

Once you are signed into the preferred account you will want this turned off to avoid seeing any account information being displayed openly. You will still see the options for main account and Local account appear on the lower left corner only without any email address being displayed there on on the Lock screen. That will still be seen in the Control Panel>User accounts however.

Night Hawk, Jun 30, 2016
  11. Brink,

I am following along with most, as it seems that my solution is posted.
    A couple of things: This is my third installation since mid-June and the build is entirely different. I didn't have to do anything to open and to access my computer. It is private, in my home, and I am the only user. I should be Bella with Admin and Admin - although hidden, right?

I, too, had two login choices this morning - one with email address and one without. I created a Home Group in order to SHARE files, etc. (I never did anything while in Admin - for many reasons. "Sunday" was the best.)
    Two questions here: Do I need to enable sharing my own files/folders, etc. in order to have Admin access my own programs & files? That seems counter-intuitive. (It also seems too drastic and a waste of time and space. I followed the steps online and ended up doing each several times. I wonder why nothing takes with one alteration.)

How do I permanently remove everything that I wasted time doing yesterday? I went in in order to remove COM Add-ins and never got there. Accessing Outlook wasn't even an option. (Possibly Safe Mode Admin or I just didn't have programs there.)

I bought a disk to hack into my own computer because I got badly messed up with logins/password/email account. As I said, I didn't have to share any private info with/on my computer in mid-June. I changed passwords to empty and don't require login. I changed to not requiring login after sleep. It seems everything I do is temporary, because I am back to entering a password to logon to my own computer. I also have this eight digit code on Group Policy. I want to remove Sharing and the Home Group, mainly because I never had it/it (on Win10, 7. Vista, or XP). In how many places do I have to make changes? Are some methods more permanent than others? Having reset my password already, why do I still have to log in by entering a real password?

I made changes using PC Unlocker. I used cmd prompt, net user, and from the settings in different places. These seemingly permanent changes - which are not - and the inconsistency of this OS are driving me crazy.

Do I have to reinstall Win10 cleanly in order to get it right? What's the deal with making a reset password "disc" when I have a couple of thumb drives sitting around with data on them? I have a stack of CDs. Can't I use them?

I spent 19 - 20 days straight trying to get my computer back in operation. The chances of willingly making another attempt to do a clean install on this computer do not exist THIS decade.

Based on my interpretation of everything that I read, it seems that you CANNOT get around having free and clear access to your own computer in your own home in a safe and private environment, without at least accessing your MS account. Is that true? What the hell more does MS want from me?

Based on Radical's post above, I checked my registry. This is what I have for logon:
    Alternate shells - empty
    AutoLogonChecked - empty
    GPExtensions (Group Pol?) many listings - strings (?).
    VolatileUserMgrKey - (1) And one string.

(I READ many of your linked tutorials: they are well made, easy to follow, and very helpful. Thank you.)

I can't stand all this privacy and security. (Actually, I am very much into both and a big proponent.) MS and I have different ideas about how to keep me safe and one of us knows far better than the other one does.

Speaking of, I opted out of everything in PRIVACY SETTINGS last Tuesday on my (finally) successful re-installation. I said NO in every place that I could. I was prepared as I upgraded in January. I removed Win apps that I'll never use. Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, I had to AGAIN turn off many of the same privacy settings that I disabled Tuesday.
    I wrote to MS. I haven't received a confirmation, let alone a response.

Beware - and complain loudly.

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Jul 11, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Belle, *Smile

The only problem is that if your computer has an Internet connection and/or viewing and saving files from external sources, you're computer is never really fully secure. Especially if your user account has full unrestricted access. If you have full unrestricted access, then everything that runs with or without your knowledge will also have full unrestricted access.

You could use the built-in Administrator account to have full access, but beware of what I posted above.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

It would be best to create a new thread for each different issue to get help with since they're not related to this tutorial.

Brink, Jul 11, 2016
  13. Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

As for me every pc so far has seen positive results while I still tend to deploy both options for the netplwiz and registry edit. The only stubborn outcomes have been seen on VMs where one being an upgrade later to see an MS account made the admin on 10 still is bound to the original 7's install admin account. Option Two of course is something I am well familiar with from use on previous versions while I might try renaming the present admin account on the 10 VMs one being the upgrade to see it will take then. That would be renamed to what had been seen on 7 for the test.

I will need to start over fresh where the 7 to 10 upgrade will see that MS account in use on the next 7 upgraded to 10 VM project. The VMs as well as the second desktop used for testing purposes will still be seeing Insider builds on each while the main will be running the RS1 update for the most once out. The automatic sign in on the VM projects was to avoid the need to be signing in with email address as well as user name during recording sessions for showing how to upgrade, etc.

Night Hawk, Jul 11, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    Hi @Brink ,

Option 1 , step 4 should be UNcheck the box to turn off Passwords I think...

step 4 & 5 instructions are the same ...to check it currently......

KB

Kbird, Sep 8, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello KB, *Smile

Step 4 is correct to turn off auto sign-in by checking the box.

Brink, Sep 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup - Similar Threads - Sign User Account

2. Issues signing into a user account on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues signing into a user account on Windows 10: Today I was trying to log into my user account when it just said "The username or password is incorrect". This was a huge surprise for me because the exact same details worked yesterday, no-one uses that laptop, and I didn't have any malware. That user has all of it's folders...
  3. Issues signing into a user account on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues signing into a user account on Windows 10: Today I was trying to log into my user account when it just said "The username or password is incorrect". This was a huge surprise for me because the exact same details worked yesterday, no-one uses that laptop, and I didn't have any malware. That user has all of it's folders...
  4. Issues signing into a user account on Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. How to automatically sign in to last user in Windows 10

How to automatically sign in to last user in Windows 10: So in my laptop, i have 2 user. One is administrator, and another is standard user. When sign in, im always go to the second account standard user, even though the last opened user is administrator. How do i change it so the last user automatically sign in?...
  6. User account at startup problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    User account at startup problem: I'm having a problem with a Windows 10 PC 2004 with the user name that first comes up when the machine is booting up. It's my name from when I first used the machine, and asks for a password. I don't have the password I originally set on the machine. It is now the PC my...
  7. Can't sign into user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't sign into user account windows 10: My brother own HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-dk0045tx which recently gotBIOS update and he completed the process of the BIOS update but somehow his user account is got corrupted and shows this error message everytime he boot the laptop [ATTACH] i was trying to find some solution...
  8. Two User Accounts at Startup?

Two User Accounts at Startup?: Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Recently after Power On I'm getting prompted for my login password/pin. I've had that option disabled for as long as I can remember. I'm also noticing that at the point where I get the prompt, Windows is showing me two user...
  9. user accounts & signing in.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    user accounts & signing in.: Belarc shows the following users on my refurbished Win10 desktop. [img] What is the defaultuser0 dated 1/22/2017 in the local user accounts section? --- That’s the date I turned on the computer for the first time. --- Where is it in my computer? Can I use it for...
  10. User Account not signing in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account not signing in: I have two user accounts on my PC. One local(password protected) and the other Outlook account(admin). Recently i am not able to sign-in to my local account, when i enter the user password, the welcome screen appears and after that signing-out screen appears and takes me...