Windows 10: Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

Discus and support Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to ensure my device works properly and, as you know, sometimes certain updates interfere with that. Does Windows automatically create a restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Atanas Kotov1, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

I want to ensure my device works properly and, as you know, sometimes certain updates interfere with that. Does Windows automatically create a restore point before updates from Windows Update or do I have to do that manually? If the creation of restore points is automatic before such updates, are they always automatic or are there exceptions in which I should do it myself?

:)

Atanas Kotov1, Feb 18, 2023
  2. John Fue Win User

No restore points are created when updates are installed

Hi,

To address your concern let's run System restore on your computer.

To check if there is restore point already created:

• Press Windows key +
      X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on
      System Protection

• Select the option to
      system restore
      > next. It will show all restore points already created.
    Note:

• On installation of an update, if there is restore point already created in last 72hrs, it will not create a new restore point.
    • On installation of an application, if there is restore point already created in last 24hrs, it will not create a new restore point.

Use System restore to make restore points when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore
    point was made. To go back to a restore point:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select
      Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.

Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update? 0e47719a-1fbf-4034-9f35-ac8614017e2e.png
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore >
      Next
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select
      Next > Finish.

Thanks you.

John Fue, Feb 18, 2023
  3. creating a restore point

Hi Anthony,

We understand that you're having an issue with creating a restore point. For us to further assist you, we'd like to gather additional information.

• Have you tried creating system restore point manually?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

If you haven't created a system restore point manually, you can refer to the article below and follow the instructions given. Disable your antivirus or security software and then try to create a system restore point manually.

Create a system restore point

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Feb 18, 2023
  4. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

Creating restore points automatically; can it be done?

Hi Mark,

It's good to see that you're interested to learn more about Windows 10 System Restore. Yes! There's a way for Windows 10 to create restore points automatically. All you have to do is to create your first restore point, then when something significant happens,
    such as installing a Windows Update or a new application. See the steps below to learn how:

• Search for Create a system restore point.
    • Click on Configure, then choose Turn on system protection and
      OK.
    • Once done, choose Create, then type the description for restore point.

We'll be looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Feb 18, 2023
Thema:

Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

1. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update? - Similar Threads - Should create restore

2. auto create restore point automatically just before updates applied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    auto create restore point automatically just before updates applied: Currently, I create a RESTORE POINT before each Update starts/is done, ...Well, is there any Setting in Windows 10/11 to auto-create a restore point automatically, just before continuing to update, then going to update Windows 10/11...?In other words, to Not Create Restore...
  3. auto create restore point automatically just before updates applied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    auto create restore point automatically just before updates applied: Currently, I create a RESTORE POINT before each Update starts/is done, ...Well, is there any Setting in Windows 10/11 to auto-create a restore point automatically, just before continuing to update, then going to update Windows 10/11...?In other words, to Not Create Restore...
  4. Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I create a restore point before updates from Windows Update?: I want to ensure my device works properly and, as you know, sometimes certain updates interfere with that. Does Windows automatically create a restore point before updates from Windows Update or do I have to do that manually? If the creation of restore points is automatic...
  5. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  6. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  7. Can't create Restore Points and won't update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create Restore Points and won't update: Ever since upgrading to Windows 10, in 2016, I have not been able to create a restore point. Also, my windows update has quit working and it won't allow me to change any settings for my updates. I receive messages that update is preparing to install but they always fail. I...
  8. Windows 10 1803 Not Creating Restore Point before Windows Update(s)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 1803 Not Creating Restore Point before Windows Update(s): Hi. I've noticed that my Windows 10 PC doesn't always create a restore point before Windows Updates. It will create Scheduled Checkpoints weekly and manually as well as after uninstalling or installing some programs.. So, other than this one issue, System Restore is working...
  9. automatic restore points before update install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    automatic restore points before update install?: I am wondering if Windows 10 will automatically create restore points before installing forced updates. If not, will we be notified about these updates before hand so we can make restore points manually? In previous editions of Windows, we were often offered optional or...
  10. System Restore not making restore point before updates.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore not making restore point before updates.: So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore point. I had one last night...