Windows 10: Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

Discus and support Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We got our son a new laptop for middle school. When he and I were setting it up, there was an option to set it up for school/work so we did that. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lacarids, Sep 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM.

1. lacarids Win User

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

We got our son a new laptop for middle school. When he and I were setting it up, there was an option to set it up for school/work so we did that. The prompts weren’t clear and I thought this would just give him access to his school stuff in Treams, email, office, etc. I wasn’t entirely sure so we explored the other way, but it said we either have to login to a personal microsoft account or a work/school account. Logging in with his school account but setting up the computer as a personal device wasn’t possible, so we set it up as a school computer. Now there are three users on it: him and two

:)

2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

4. Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

Settings search in wrong language (and nothing else)

I recently switched my system's display language from English (US) to Japanese, and then back. Everything is normal, except when I search for settings in the Settings window or the Start menu, which is still in Japanese. I have restarted multiple times, and done everything on this page and others:

How to change system language on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Here are my language settings, region, etc:

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go 323867d1616288728t-settings-search-wrong-language-nothing-else-settings1.png

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go 323868d1616288728t-settings-search-wrong-language-nothing-else-settings2.png

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go 323869d1616288728t-settings-search-wrong-language-nothing-else-settings3.png

And yet...

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go 323871d1616288945t-settings-search-wrong-language-nothing-else-settings4.png

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go 323872d1616288945t-settings-search-wrong-language-nothing-else-settings5.png

I've even tried uninstalling the Japanese language pack, but no dice: the search remains in Japanese, as though the programs were renamed or something.

Any ideas? My version number is 20H2 build 19042.867.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem has solved itself, but I don't really know why. Here's what I can tell anyone experiencing the same problem. I followed the steps from this site: Windows Search Results in Wrong Language – sumselkawumsel . I'd done all of these things before and they didn't work, but for one reason or another, this time they did?

1. Open Control Panel (“Windows Settings”)
    2. Open “Time & Language”
    3. Click “Language” (on the left)
    4. Click “Administrative Language Settings” (on the right)
    5. A popup opened up, called “Region”. In the Tab “Administrative” and te field “Welcome screen and new user accounts”, click “Copy Settings”.
    6. Tick the boxes “Welcome screen and system accounts” and “new user accounts”.
    7. Click OK and reboot.
    8. In language settings, set the “old” language (Germany in my case) as display language, sign out of windows, sign in again.
    9. Set English as display language, sign out of windows and sign in again.

It may be that the solution only works if you do the steps in this exact order, I can't be sure. Also, when the computer asks to sign out automatically after switching the language, I said No both times, waited a few seconds, and then logged out via the Start Menu, which might be important.

There's really no logic to it, all I can say is to give it a shot... maybe multiple shots.

Thema:

Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

1. Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go - Similar Threads - Set computer wrong

2. Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go: We got our son a new laptop for middle school. When he and I were setting it up, there was an option to set it up for school/work so we did that. The prompts weren’t clear and I thought this would just give him access to his school stuff in Treams, email, office, etc. I...
  3. Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up computer wrong, not sure where to go: We got our son a new laptop for middle school. When he and I were setting it up, there was an option to set it up for school/work so we did that. The prompts weren’t clear and I thought this would just give him access to his school stuff in Treams, email, office, etc. I...
  4. Not Sure Whats Wrong.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Sure Whats Wrong.: So I bought a new pc around easter this year, got windows 11 for it. Everything worked fine from the start, then from no where stuff started acting weird. I cant switch between apps by using the taskbar, I cant play music on spotify/soundcloud, it either just pause and...
  5. Not Sure Whats Wrong.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not Sure Whats Wrong.: So I bought a new pc around easter this year, got windows 11 for it. Everything worked fine from the start, then from no where stuff started acting weird. I cant switch between apps by using the taskbar, I cant play music on spotify/soundcloud, it either just pause and...
  6. Not sure, whats going on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not sure, whats going on: So, I think, my gpu is going bad, is just a guess.I have uploaded two mini dump files link. 2 Items Any, help appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-sure-whats-going-on/adfa7449-2b96-4a52-baa2-2af15b34913a
  7. Computer consistently keeps crashing, not sure where to go from here

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer consistently keeps crashing, not sure where to go from here: Hello, I'd like to ask for some help with my laptop consistently crashing with BSODs for a week or so now after being unable to solve the problem on my own. Things I have done: - uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers - ran driver updater software in an attempt to...
  8. Not sure where to begin

in Windows 10 Support
    Not sure where to begin: To make a long story short, I inherited a refurbished desktop computer for my home. I believe it originally ran Windows 7, but had been upgraded to Windows 10 just prior to my receiving it. As of late, the computer is running frustratingly slow, and now I am having major...
  9. Blue Screen issues not sure where to go...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue Screen issues not sure where to go...: I used WinDBG to read the crash report but im not sure where to go from there... if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. here was the report that I saw if that will help.. Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.18362.1 AMD64 Copyright...
  10. Not sure what is wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not sure what is wrong: Not entirely sure what is wrong with my computer lately, I just know that for the past 5 days now I have been trying to get it to work. Some of my games on Steam will not work, even though I have my GPU and windows updated. They start for a few seconds and then closes before...