Windows 10: Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account.

Discus and support Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Before switching to passwordless, i had a password and 2FA but after noticing a large amount of failed login attempts from overseas i swtiched to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LCW_863, Oct 19, 2024 at 8:27 PM.

1. LCW_863 Win User

Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account.

Before switching to passwordless, i had a password and 2FA but after noticing a large amount of failed login attempts from overseas i swtiched to passwordless with the authenticator app.The large amount of attempts stopped for a good 20 days but when i checked yesterday there was another one and it also says incorrect password attempt.I double checked that i had passwordless and 2FA on and i cant find any info on it online that is concerete enough. Ive never gotten a number promp on the app from the failed attempt overseas and only gotten them from when i tried to sign in.Should i be concerned

:)

2. Quito382 Win User

Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password"

I see, so for the foreseeable future I'll stick with the passwordless approach and use the authenticator app to sign in. So what explains the past attempts at getting into my account and the reason given is "incorrect password entered"?

3. Quito382 Win User
    Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password"

So I recently just made my account passwordless because I learned of it the other day, I added it alongside my existing 2FA options. I reviewed my account activity and noticed that there were sign attemptes in several countries since I went passwordless. Regardless, they werent able to sign because the activity says "incorrect password entered". Which is weird because I disabled my password. I tried loging into my account from another device to see if I could input my previous password but couldn't find it amongst the other login options (the other options being sending an code to my recovery email and my phone number). Should I be worried?

4. CPRTP47 Win User

I have a passwordless account and use the authenticator app but password attempts are still being made on my account.

I have a passwordless account and use the authenticator app, whenever I was updating my devices and needed to access Microsoft, I got authentication requests on my app that I had to approve with no password asked for. I have noticed that there are roughly 15+ attempts a day trying to get into my Microsoft account from different locations, eg Germany, Britan, Russia, Seychelles, China, and getting denied because "incorrect password entered". If I have a passwordless account, how are they still able to make password attempts and why am I not getting notification of the attempts? One password attempt did get into my account and changed my profile information, and I wasn't asked by the authenticator to authorize the computer, so once I noticed this I went in and changed everything back and changed the password associated with the account which the authenticator asked to authorize the change. Am I just missing something that I need to turn on to get notification of these attempts or is there something else I can do to prevent password attempts?

Thema:

1. Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account. - Similar Threads - Seeing incorrect password

2. Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seeing incorrect password login attempts even with a passwordless account.: Before switching to passwordless, i had a password and 2FA but after noticing a large amount of failed login attempts from overseas i swtiched to passwordless with the authenticator app.The large amount of attempts stopped for a good 20 days but when i checked yesterday there...
  3. Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password": So I recently just made my account passwordless because I learned of it the other day, I added it alongside my existing 2FA options. I reviewed my account activity and noticed that there were sign attemptes in several countries since I went passwordless. Regardless, they...
  4. Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password": So I recently just made my account passwordless because I learned of it the other day, I added it alongside my existing 2FA options. I reviewed my account activity and noticed that there were sign attemptes in several countries since I went passwordless. Regardless, they...
  5. Passwordless Account with but login attempts are still listed as "wrong password"

6. Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt

Passwordless account but still receive authentication attempt: I am passwordless with Microsoft, I suddenly received a Microsoft authentication request and denied it as I wasn't logging in. Activity shows attempt from IP out of San Jose other side of the country from me. When I click secure my account I am told no worry as they didn't...
  7. Incorrect password even if it is not.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect password even if it is not.: After clicking sign out now to apply changes in the display settings. I was logged out of my computer and when I tried to log in again. It says that my password is incorrect even if it is not....
  8. Incorrect password even if it is not.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Incorrect password even if it is not.: After clicking sign out now to apply changes in the display settings. I was logged out of my computer and when I tried to log in again. It says that my password is incorrect even if it is not....
  9. Microsoft Account login password incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account login password incorrect: I am setting up a laptop i got for christmas, and I am setting up my user account I'm the only account on the laptop. But when i try to configure my settings I get the message - 'Next time you sign in to this computer, use your Microsoft account password'When I enter the...
  10. Microsoft Account login password incorrect

Microsoft Account login password incorrect: I am setting up a laptop i got for christmas, and I am setting up my user account I'm the only account on the laptop. But when i try to configure my settings I get the message - 'Next time you sign in to this computer, use your Microsoft account password'When I enter the...