Windows 10: Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping

Discus and support Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am using Windows 11. I will not accept any answer which tells me to go update mysterious drivers. My computer is waking up when it has been set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Anne Speck, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping

I am using Windows 11. I will not accept any answer which tells me to go update mysterious drivers. My computer is waking up when it has been set to sleep at 1:15 pm every day. And then if I am using it, it is locking on a schedule that is not related to my power settings. I've had it lock while using a controller, using a mouse, and using a keyboard. I need to know what to look for in my scheduled tasks lists to understand why this has decided to start happening over the past couple of months. I've had Windows 11 installed for more than a year.

:)

Anne Speck, Jul 1, 2024

2. Scheduled Tasks Not Waking Computer

Hi Michael,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your effort towards resolving it.

Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• To wake up your Windows computer from Sleep mode at a fixed time, type
      Task Scheduler
      in Search bar and hit Enter.
    • In the right side, select Create Task. A new window will open. Here under the
      General tab, fill in the Name and Description. Also check,
      Run with highest privileges.
    • Under the Triggers tab, click New. Another window will open. Select
      One time (or Daily if you want it repeated every day at a particular time). Set the Date and Time when you want your system to wake up from Sleep.
    • Next under the Actions tab, you have to mention a task. Click
      New. You can run a simple task, like say, first launching & then closing the command prompt window. This thus will wake your system at the pre-set time to carry out the task.
    • Select Action as : Start a program. To schedule a task that executes the command
      cmd.exe with command line arguments, copy-paste under Program/script
    /c “exit”

6. Under Conditions tab, check on the Wake the computer to run this task check-box. Click
    OK and Exit Task Scheduler. Click OK
    and Exit Task Scheduler. Your computer will wake up from Sleep at the particular time.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 1, 2024
  3. Scheduled Tasks Not Waking Computer

I posted this on the Surface 3 forum, but got nowhere. Maybe it isn't a Surface 3 specific problem...

On my Surface 3 tablet running Windows 10, tasks scheduled via the Task Scheduler are not waking Windows up. I started with a very simple task to open a command window at a specific time. If I click "Run" from within Task Scheduler, it works. If the tablet
    is awake, it works. However, if I put the tablet to sleep, it does not work. I am not shutting down the system, nor is it hibernating. It is in sleep mode. As soon as I wake the tablet up, the missed task runs. I've tried every combination of settings
    for the task, and it just won't run. This is on a Surface 3 tablet, which has a new sleep state called "InstantGo", and I suspect that this sleep mode just isn't compatible with the Task Scheduler, but I don't know.

I've got decades of experience with computers, but I hope I'm overlooking something simple. Has anyone out there run into this? I've tried all the obvious things.

MichaelWGilbert, Jul 1, 2024
  4. heshy(2) Win User

Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping

Task Scheduler to wake up computer

Hello

I am running Windows 10 with an external backup system that is scheduled to start every morning at 1am however I want to put my computer to sleep when I leave work (for security reasons). When I do this my backup system no longer backs up so I need to schedule
    a task to wake the computer up at 12.45am every day for 2 hours.

The 'create basic task wizard' is simple until it gets to the 'Start a Program' then I don't know what to select from the Browse box to program the computer to wake up out of sleep mode. Can anyone help?

Also further to this question - if the computer wakes up normally it requires a password. Will this effect the task as I won't be here to put in the password?

Thanks

Justin

heshy(2), Jul 1, 2024
Thema:

Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping

1. Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping - Similar Threads - Scheduled tasks locking

2. Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduled tasks locking my computer during use and waking my computer up while sleeping: I am using Windows 11. I will not accept any answer which tells me to go update mysterious drivers. My computer is waking up when it has been set to sleep at 1:15 pm every day. And then if I am using it, it is locking on a schedule that is not related to my power settings....
  3. PIN used in waking up computer after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PIN used in waking up computer after sleep: Many times I use the sleep mode when not using my computer. When I try to wake it up I get the following: Pin not available Error code 0x8009002d I can get back in using my password. When I initially start up the computer the PIN works. I usually disconnect from the...
  4. My computer is not waking up from sleep mode,

My computer is not waking up from sleep mode,: Hi, My computer is not waking up from sleep mode, I end up having to hold down the power button for a few seconds forcing a restart. anyone know a fix for this?...
  5. My computer will not wake from sleep.

My computer will not wake from sleep.: I have a Envy x360. It does not wake from sleep. I have tried resetting power options and nothing seems to work. I also do not have all available power options. If I put my computer to sleep, it basically locks up. In order to wake it, I have to hold the power button down for...
  6. Computer wakes up during the night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer wakes up during the night: I have a problem in connection with Windows Update. An event called Universal Orchestrator Start wakes up my laptop during the night. I tried to edit it in the event scheduler, but it is asking for username and password I dont know. I would like to find out what my password...
  7. Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks

Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks: Other than going through each and every task in the task scheduler, is there a way to see those that are allowed to wake the machine while it is sleeping? My PC woke up this morning at 3:30 am. It then went back to sleep about ten minutes later. I've checked all of the normal...
  8. Task Scheduler does not always wake the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler does not always wake the computer: I'v tried just about everything, including selecting the "wake the computer" option. Hibernate or Sleep, it makes little difference. I would expect it to always work or never work, but to have it just work sometimes makes troubleshooting a real pain. 37304
  9. Scheduled task keeps waking my computer (rempl)

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled task keeps waking my computer (rempl): Hi, I have recently had an issue with my computer for the last few months, where it will turn on from sleep in the morning while I am at work, and remain on the entire day until I return home. I though I had solved it before, but I was clearly mistaken. Here is what my...
  10. Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler)

in Windows 10 Support
    Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler): HiI have tried using windows task scheduler to sleep and wake up at different times but it does not work. I am using a Linx 1010 tablet. Windows 10Would anyone know if there any third party app, or any other way to do this task?Many thanks 92480