Windows 10: Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted

Discus and support Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First: My machine runs perfectly. All apps run perfectly as well. Nothing doesn't work, except for the following issue. I'm wondering if the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nick, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Nick Win User

Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted

First:

My machine runs perfectly.

All apps run perfectly as well.

Nothing doesn't work, except for the following issue.

I'm wondering if the following is an 20H2 "thang", cuz I have another laptop that is pre 20H2, and ChkDsk works just fine

Anyway, here goes ....

The issue:

I don't normally run ChkDsk and I didn't have any real reason to run it now.

I know scheduling ChkDsk used to work.
    But I can't really say when was the last time that it did work

I log on to my machine with my Microsoft account.

I start an Admin command prompt and run Chkdsk C: /r

Drive C, is my systems disk.

Within the command prompt, I get a return message that says the disk is locked and asks if I want to schedule it to run the next time the machine restarts.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I respond with "Y".

I then log off and restart the machine.

During the startup process, I see text along the bottom, that indicate "a Check Disk will run unless I press any key within 8 seconds".

I don't touch any keys.
    There isn't any countdown. Normally, the 8 will turn into a 7 and then a 6 and so on until the chkdsk starts.

The aforementioned line of text disappears within 2 seconds not 8 seconds and the next thing I'm looking at is my logon screen.

ChkDsk never runs.

I don't see any entries in the Windows\Application logs. But, I'm thinking that would be normal cuz Windows isn't really started yet.

What I'm hoping to learn.

What is going on

And

How to "fix" whatever needs fixing so that ChkDsk actually runs during a restart.

My environment:

HP Envy m7 notebook.

Windows 10 Home Activated with a digital license key

Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.630

1 MS account This is the one I use primarrarily

2 Administrator accounts The original and a spare

1 local user account I like to use for testing things.

16Gb memory

1 TB SSD formatted as NTFS

What I've done:

No errors at all with the following.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc/scannow

Right click on drive C and choose properties

Tools tab

Under "Error checking", I click on the "Check" button

Then I choose "Scan drive" from the following dialog

A scan runs and a dialog reports "Your drive was successfully scanned".

The above procedure generates entries in the event viewer\Windows Logs\Application, which shows that "Chkdsk" ran successfully.

Since I have 3 additional local account 2 admin and 1 user I tried scheduling a ChkDsk logged in as all of them but experienced the same results

:)

2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, Nov 12, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted

Forza Horizon 4 - Crashing on Startup, doesn´t run

Hi Vijay,

thanks for response. I tried your steps with a Google DNS and Open DNS - but it doesn´t help.

The game still crashes in the moment I try to run it.

I'll be glad for another solutions.

Vít Řípa, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted

1. Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't run when the laptop is restarted - Similar Threads - Scheduled ChkDsk doesn't

2. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  3. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  4. Chkdsk doesn't run after restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chkdsk doesn't run after restart: I always used chkdsk c:/f/r to increase the performance of my system. But now it isn't workingI used to get that volume is locked and press y to run chkdsk after restartBut when i do that now, and after I restart, chkdsk start counting from 8 to 0 and then tell me scanning...
  5. chkdsk instantly completes when restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk instantly completes when restarting: While playing a game, my pc froze and I had to power it off forcefully. Subsequent restarts showed the chkdsk process initiating at boot with the usual countdown frame in case I want to skip it. When it finishes, the chkdsk process that usually shows progress within 3 stages...
  6. CHKDSK % doesn't load when it's activated and proceeds to restart the computer normally...

CHKDSK % doesn't load when it's activated and proceeds to restart the computer normally...: I've been having the 100% disc problem and it's impossible to play certain games. In order to try to fix this I have to use the chkdsk /f /r command. I do the command, press "y" etc and restart the computer, the countdown to cancel the check appears, everything normal. But...
  7. CHKDSK not running

CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....
  8. Task Scheduler doesn't run script

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler doesn't run script: Hey Microsoft Community, I'm trying to create a task in Task Scheduler that runs a specific script. The issue is that when the task runs (whether I do it manually or if it's scheduled), the script doesn't actually get executed. I know that the script works, and I have tried...
  9. CHKDSK doesn't display correct percentage when running.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK doesn't display correct percentage when running.: Noticed that when I run the Check Disk utility on the target machine the percentage indicator doesn't display the correct percentage. It usually freezes at 10% or an arbitrary number and then appears to complete. What is causing this? 112040
  10. Task Scheduler doesn't run program

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task Scheduler doesn't run program: I'm running a task schedule to run a program at a certain time. It worked great in windows 7 but since I upgraded to 10 nothing happens when the task is run. I've run SFC and Dism see below and no problems found. C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan....