Windows 10: S0 low power idle is not supported

Discus and support S0 low power idle is not supported in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11uc with 11th gen Intel core i7 + rtx 3050 graphics card. My laptop is 2022 version. Why my laptop is not supporting s0 low... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jyothi Venkata Sai, May 2, 2023.

1. S0 low power idle is not supported

My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11uc with 11th gen Intel core i7 + rtx 3050 graphics card. My laptop is 2022 version. Why my laptop is not supporting s0 low power idle? I wanna know the reason and pls let me know the requirements to support that feature.

:)

Jyothi Venkata Sai, May 2, 2023
  2. jimhoyle Win User

S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

Nice. I have some experience on WOL since it's so important to me and I've set it up on several computers. Also Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) does exist (both WiFi device as the magic packet sender and as the magic packet receiver). But in my experience, waking is a bit of a gamble. You buy a system and then hope that waking works, often requiring a number steps to get it working (for example with USB devices it matters how your USB devices are connected, with or without hubs etc.).

Now I continue trying to find out how to remotely wake the S0 low idle computer.

- - - Updated - - -

About the energy consumption: I have now measured the temperature. It's 40°C at the bottom on the laptop in the S0 idle (after hours of S0 idle). Also a fan is constantly on (very quiet and low speed, but still it is on). The bottom of the computer feels considerably warm to the hand. Needless to say, this is very bad design. Especially if there's no way to make the idle state much, much less energy consuming. On the bottom of the laptop there's a spot which is "hot", so this mode seems quite far away from the S3 sleep, which would keep a computer somewhere around the room temperature without running fans.

About the WOL when S0 idling: I can't get Add Networking connectivity in Standby to Power Options in Windows 10 working, in other words I can't get "Networking connectivity in Standby" to appear in Power Options, so it's possible that is Disabled permanently. Which might be the reason why I can't get WOL working. Even my ethernet adapter has "Modern Standby WoL Magic Packet" Enabled, it just doesn't work.

What is also surprising is that Google finds only 9 results on "modern standby wol magic packet". So apparently WOL is just not so popular (I do need to use it regularly on multiple computers).

jimhoyle, May 2, 2023
  3. jimhoyle Win User
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep  

Thanks Denis, you are certainly very helpful. So far I have not witnessed anything that would work during S0 idle despite the high temperatures (but, I've had this computer for just 2 weeks and I don't use things like Cortana). So far it is a mystery for me what exactly is running during S0 idle, and is there a way I can affect what is running, and is there a way I can (remotely) communicate with a computer at S0 idle.

I am familiar with powercfg.exe to some extent (because I have used AutoHotkey to control certain things via powercfg). When I experiment with that scheme_current Network Connectivity Enabled/Disabled, it doesn't make any difference. The result is exactly the same with both cases: AnyDesk always says online (but still can't connect when S0 idling), TeamViewer always goes offline immediately when S0 idling.

- - - Updated - - -

powercfg /a did say (at the last row) that S0 network connectivity was disabled by group policy. So I enabled the "Allow network connectivity during connected-standby (plugged in)" policy and then powercfg /a did say available for "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected", but still no difference. Or at least WOL and AnyDesk are not working during S0 idle still.

jimhoyle, May 2, 2023
  4. Rnk.khch Win User

S0 low power idle is not supported

How to disable "hybrid sleep" after the latest Windows 10 update (1803)?

Here is what I got:

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected

Hibernate

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.
    Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

Connectivity in standby is not supported.

Rnk.khch, May 2, 2023
Thema:

S0 low power idle is not supported

1. S0 low power idle is not supported - Similar Threads - low power idle

2. How to switch from Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected to Network Disconnected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch from Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected to Network Disconnected?: So I have the following mode right now on my Laptop. There is no official way to switch from S0 to S3. But at least can I change S0 Network Connected to S0 Network Disconnected officially or it's not available anymore as well?powercfg -aThe following sleep states are...
  3. How to switch from Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected to Network Disconnected?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch from Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected to Network Disconnected?: So I have the following mode right now on my Laptop. There is no official way to switch from S0 to S3. But at least can I change S0 Network Connected to S0 Network Disconnected officially or it's not available anymore as well?powercfg -aThe following sleep states are...
  4. Wake On Lan and S0 power state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wake On Lan and S0 power state: Hello everyone,I have been using WOL for many years. I had to change the PC now W11 Pro and now I can't Google any working solution. I followed many tutorials including this one. I found out the problem is the Modern Standby state S0. This is my powercfg -a.The following...
  5. S0 low power idle is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    S0 low power idle is not supported: My laptop is MSI GF63 thin 11uc with 11th gen Intel core i7 + rtx 3050 graphics card. My laptop is 2022 version. Why my laptop is not supporting s0 low power idle? I wanna know the reason and pls let me know the requirements to support that feature....
  6. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep: Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3...
  7. BSODs while idle or low power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs while idle or low power: Hi all, I have posted about this several times, but still no solution. Here is my setup: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock TF 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4...
  8. BSODs while idle or low power

BSODs while idle or low power: Hi all, I posted about this before and it was suggested that I delete Driver Verifier settings. This worked for a while, but now the BSODs are back. I have run numerous RAM tests, CPU tests, and GPU tests and they all pass with no issues, and stress test without BSOD....
  9. BSODs while idle or low power

BSODs while idle or low power: Hi all, I am trying to diagnose a potential hardware issue with a new PC. The stop code is different nearly every time, with the recent ones being IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. Crashes happen at least a couple times a day, but only when the computer is...
  10. Newly built PC freezes on idle or low power

Newly built PC freezes on idle or low power: I've been having an issue for the past 2 months where my PC slowly freezes up when I'm not doing very much. The only time it doesn't freeze is if I run a game in the background. I recently thought it was due to faulty RAM as I did a scan and 1 of my sticks had errors. Since...