Windows 10: Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11

Discus and support Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In Windows 11 the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 71ace" begins using up multiple gigabytes of memory after running for a few minutes. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Denis Voshchenko, May 7, 2023.

1. Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11

In Windows 11 the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 71ace" begins using up multiple gigabytes of memory after running for a few minutes. I can end task the process, but it comes back later or on reboot. I have tried disabling the process by unchecking it in msconfig, but it still starts when I restart the computer.I tried turning it off via services but it doesn't work.

:)

Denis Voshchenko, May 7, 2023
  2. etheric42 Win User

Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory

In Windows 10 Home, the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 4e086" begins using up multiple gigabytes of memory after running for a few minutes. I can end task the process, but it comes back later or on reboot. I have tried disabling the process by
    unchecking it in msconfig, but it still starts when I restart the computer. I have tried running a clean boot by disabling all non-microsoft services in msconfig and disabling all startup entries in task manager, but the issue still occurs.

I have run virus scan and Malwarebytes anti-malware scan and found nothing. This has been ongoing for multiple weeks.

I'd like to resolve the issue, but if the best I can get is somehow disabling push notifications entirely and stopping that process from ever starting, I would be happy with that too.

etheric42, May 7, 2023
  3. etheric42 Win User
    Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory

1. Have been able to get a hint about which App might be running and causing the issue?

Start - Settings - type in --> Notifications

Or Start - Settings - System - Notifcations

See if turning off ALL notifications or even particular ones stop the problem.

Even with "get notificaitons from apps and other senders" and all the other toggles in "notifications & actions" turned off, it still does that.

When I scroll down to "get notifications from these senders" I just get the spinning dots (left it running for several minutes without it displaying any apps).

2. While that is showing Right Click the Taskbar - Task Manager - find it and if there is a little arrow on the left expand it to see what is causing it to run.

The process says "Service Host: Windows Push Notifications User Service_49b3a" and when you click the arrow next to it a sub entry of "Windows Push Notifications User Services_49b3a" shows up.

3. Try Process Explorer while it is running to also see if that help determine cause.

Process Explorer says the hog is svchost.exe using 20,xxx,xxx k private bytes, 9,xxx,xxx k working set and 12.xx cpu.

If needed you can also try a Clean Boot.

No luck with clean boot. Still happens with all non-microsoft services disabled as well as all startup items disabled.

Autoruns

Just installed and ran it. Not really sure what I'm looking for on it that is not in the task manager startup list. Nothing really jumps out as being inappropriate.

etheric42, May 7, 2023
  4. Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 7, 2023
Thema:

Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11

1. Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11 - Similar Threads - Runaway push notification

2. Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Runaway push notification process using multiple GB of memory on windows 11: In Windows 11 the "Windows Push Notifications User Service 71ace" begins using up multiple gigabytes of memory after running for a few minutes. I can end task the process, but it comes back later or on reboot. I have tried disabling the process by unchecking it in msconfig,...
  3. I'm getting a memory leak from Windows Push Notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm getting a memory leak from Windows Push Notifications: I tried turning the push notification service off, but now the service WpnUserService_373ad is also causing a memory leak.I've updated to the current windows version 22H2 - this didn't workI've done a full virus scan with BitDefender - this didn't workUpdated my drivers -...
  4. I'm getting a memory leak from Windows Push Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm getting a memory leak from Windows Push Notifications: I tried turning the push notification service off, but now the service WpnUserService_373ad is also causing a memory leak.I've updated to the current windows version 22H2 - this didn't workI've done a full virus scan with BitDefender - this didn't workUpdated my drivers -...
  5. I'm getting a memory leak from Windows Push Notifications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows 11 not pushing usage beyond 16 GB

Windows 11 not pushing usage beyond 16 GB: Hi,I would like to know if my observation below is normal for my windows 11 or not. I just realize that my ram 'seems' cannot push beyond 16gb as if something rate limiting the usage.or probably it just that i don't actively using the laptop, but my expectation actually is to...
  7. windows 11 upgradation push notification

windows 11 upgradation push notification: Hello,I use an HP laptop, and I had windows 11 upgradation push notification. But I had to reset my laptop due to some malwares found in it and it kept coming back after quarantining. But after resetting, I couldn't get the windows 11 upgrade option instead it always shows...
  8. windows 11 upgradation push notification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 upgradation push notification: Hello,I use an HP laptop, and I had windows 11 upgradation push notification. But I had to reset my laptop due to some malwares found in it and it kept coming back after quarantining. But after resetting, I couldn't get the windows 11 upgrade option instead it always shows...
  9. Runaway memory usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Runaway memory usage: My Dell desktop just started acting wonky. The fan speeds up and slows down frequently. I thought that might be caused by overgrown dust on the CPU heat sink. But no. It's quite clean. I looked at task manager (I prefer the old Win 7 version) and it shows runaway memory...
  10. Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory: After updating Windows 10 today, I've run into a strange issue: a single process, Windows Push Notifications User Service, will regularly start and then slowly use nearly all my available CPU and Memory until either I end the process or the computer ceases to function. When I...