Windows 10: Reuse password

Discus and support Reuse password in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Dear MicrosoftI recently changed my password so a tech guy could access my computer and I didn't want to divulge to him my usual password thinking I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anthony Fonovic, Oct 24, 2024 at 10:42 PM.

1. Reuse password

Dear MicrosoftI recently changed my password so a tech guy could access my computer and I didn't want to divulge to him my usual password thinking I would just be able to reset back to my normal password once he finished.Microsoft, I do understand that this is a new safety feature but given the situation and not even being provided with a warning before changing my password like "WARNING - You will never be able to reuse any previous passwords!" there must be a way of activating an exception rule so I can for a one-off revert back to my previous password?And Microsoft, can you please develop

:)

Anthony Fonovic, Oct 24, 2024 at 10:42 PM

2. Reuse/Reset an old Password

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know how are you trying to change the Password? Using web base browser or mail client?

For now let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. I suggest you to open the outlook.com web page on the browser and log-in using the working password. Now try changing the password from the change password option and check if it helps.

• Click on the Gear and click Option.
    • Click on Account details (Password, addresses, time zone) and click on
      Security & Privacy.
    • Click on Change password and provide the credential and change the password.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 24, 2024 at 10:45 PM
  3. Bob Marks Win User
    Reuse/Reset an old Password

Thanks for your quick response. But my problem is that M.S. says old password con not be used. I want to switch back to my old password. I think I need to contact M.S. to clear the registry for my passwords. Then, I will be able to switch back.

4. Reuse password

WHY ON EARTH CAN I NOT REUSE OLD PASSWORDS

Hi my name is Ross, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

It’s a security measure to prevent you from reusing the same password if different place lots of times.

To make life easier I would suggest using the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone, then you don’t need to use a password to sign in.

Regards,

Ross

Thema:

Reuse password

1. Reuse password - Similar Threads - Reuse password

2. Reuse password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reuse password: Dear MicrosoftI recently changed my password so a tech guy could access my computer and I didn't want to divulge to him my usual password thinking I would just be able to reset back to my normal password once he finished.Microsoft, I do understand that this is a new safety...
  3. I have this really old laptop I’m trying to reuse for my sister but I forgot the password...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have this really old laptop I’m trying to reuse for my sister but I forgot the password...: There this laptop like from 2017 maybe I have sitting in my room and my sister needs to use a laptop so I plan on giving her it but problem is I don’t know the password to it and it dosnt have enough space to factory reset it what do I do?...
  4. I have this really old laptop I’m trying to reuse for my sister but I forgot the password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have this really old laptop I’m trying to reuse for my sister but I forgot the password...: There this laptop like from 2017 maybe I have sitting in my room and my sister needs to use a laptop so I plan on giving her it but problem is I don’t know the password to it and it dosnt have enough space to factory reset it what do I do?...
  5. I have this really old laptop I’m trying to reuse for my sister but I forgot the password...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Why can't I reuse old passwords? My security is MY concern, not yours.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I reuse old passwords? My security is MY concern, not yours.: FORCING someone to change their password, ESPECIALLY if they do not have a phone like me, is BEYOND STUPID. Microsoft, the *moment* I have enough money for a new computer, I'm switching to apple. That's how big of an issue this is for me. This is incredibly frustrating. MY...
  7. Why can't I reuse old passwords? My security is MY concern, not yours.

Why can't I reuse old passwords? My security is MY concern, not yours.: FORCING someone to change their password, ESPECIALLY if they do not have a phone like me, is BEYOND STUPID. Microsoft, the *moment* I have enough money for a new computer, I'm switching to apple. That's how big of an issue this is for me. This is incredibly frustrating. MY...
  8. Why can't I reuse old passwords? My security is MY concern, not yours.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Hotmail Outlook Password changes No reusing old passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hotmail Outlook Password changes No reusing old passwords: So I got a login attempt for an unrelated account. Out of an abundance of security I changed my hotmail password too.When I found out the unrelated account was not a real concern, I deleted that account and tried to set my hotmail password back to what it was as my phone...
  10. Hotmail Outlook Password changes No reusing old passwords

Hotmail Outlook Password changes No reusing old passwords: So I got a login attempt for an unrelated account. Out of an abundance of security I changed my hotmail password too.When I found out the unrelated account was not a real concern, I deleted that account and tried to set my hotmail password back to what it was as my phone...