Windows 10: Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

Discus and support Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I reset my Laptop and select Keep my files. Can I access my files even if my SSD has a BitLocker?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mark Lloyd_043, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

If I reset my Laptop and select Keep my files. Can I access my files even if my SSD has a BitLocker?

:)

Mark Lloyd_043, Jul 15, 2024
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

No "Reset This PC" option

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

For better clarity, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• Where exactly are you looking for the Reset this PC option?
    • Were you able to successfully clone the drive?
    • Could you please provide more clarity on, “On original hard disk the WinRE recovery partition was last partition. On new hard disk that partition had moved to first position”?
    • Were you able to get the Reset this PC option by following the steps mentioned in the article provided by you?

If you wish to reset the PC, there are multiple ways to do it. You may want to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Reset or reinstall Windows 10

However, please reply with the details requested above to help you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 15, 2024
  3. Bitlock recovery to reset password

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing your PC due to a forgotten password. In this situation, you can try using the BitLocker recovery key to reset your password. Here are the steps:

1. On the sign-in screen, click on "I forgot my password" or "Reset password."
    2. On the next screen, enter your Microsoft account email address or phone number associated with your account.
    3. You will be prompted to enter the recovery key. Copy and paste the BitLocker Recovery Key from your Microsoft account page where your device is listed under "Devices."
    4. Once you have entered the recovery key, follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.
    If you don't have access to the BitLocker recovery key or if it doesn't work, you can try using the Windows installation media to reset your password. Here are the steps:

1. Create a Windows installation media (such as a bootable USB drive or DVD) on another working PC using the Media Creation Tool provided by Microsoft.
    2. Insert the installation media into your locked PC and restart it.
    3. Press the necessary key to access the boot menu or BIOS setup, and select the installation media as the boot device.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows.
    5. When you reach the screen where you're prompted to select the partition to install Windows, click on "Repair your computer" instead.
    6. Select "Troubleshoot" and then "Reset this PC" or "Advanced options" and then "Command Prompt."
    7. In the Command Prompt, type the following command to reset the password for the local user account: net user [username] [newpassword], where [username] is the name of the locked account and [newpassword] is the new password you want to use.
    8. Restart your PC and sign in with the new password.
    I hope this helps you regain access to your PC. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards

Shuaib

MohammedSH_31, Jul 15, 2024
  4. Viruzz Win User

Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Jul 15, 2024
Thema:

Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

1. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker - Similar Threads - Reset Keep files

2. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker: If I reset my Laptop and select Keep my files. Can I access my files even if my SSD has a BitLocker? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-this-pc-keep-my-files-option-bitlocker/48caacce-4757-4278-a270-f5c3c1d46975
  3. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option Bitlocker: If I reset my Laptop and select Keep my files. Can I access my files even if my SSD has a BitLocker? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-this-pc-keep-my-files-option-bitlocker/48caacce-4757-4278-a270-f5c3c1d46975
  4. Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option: Hi there, i'm hoping someone can help. My Lenovo ideapad3 has gone to blue screen and I am unable to restart Windows. Not sure what happened but i think something to do with trying to upgrade to Windows 11. I called Lenovo support and they told me i have to reset the laptop...
  5. Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Reset Keeping My Files Option: Hi there, i'm hoping someone can help. My Lenovo ideapad3 has gone to blue screen and I am unable to restart Windows. Not sure what happened but i think something to do with trying to upgrade to Windows 11. I called Lenovo support and they told me i have to reset the laptop...
  6. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option: I lost all my files for unkown reason after reset PC keep my file option I have tried recovery my files by easeUs every seem to be okay until i realize i can't open images png,jpg and those images are unable to upload to the internet. Please help me....
  7. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option: I lost all my files for unkown reason after reset PC keep my file option I have tried recovery my files by easeUs every seem to be okay until i realize i can't open images png,jpg and those images are unable to upload to the internet. Please help me....
  8. I lost all my files after reset PC keep my file option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option

Reset This PC -- "Keep my files" option: I was wondering, if you select the "Keep my files" option while resetting the PC, what folders does Windows keep on the laptop? And besides that, does Windows wipe everything else other than those folders? Any help is appreciated! :...
  10. Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu

Keep my files option in Reset this PC menu: What I need to know is which files will be considered as personal files during the reset process. Will the entire windows partition be wiped, including the username folder in Users folder which contains folders like Pictures, Downloads and other folders like Android sdk and...