Windows 10: Reset MS Surface

Discus and support Reset MS Surface in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a MS Surface tablet that was purchased through the company I used to work for. The company configured this unit with the corporate security. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tjones5450, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Reset MS Surface

I have a MS Surface tablet that was purchased through the company I used to work for. The company configured this unit with the corporate security. Now that I have retired I would like to reset this tablet to factory defaults and remove all aspects of the business. I have booted into settings mode and requested to reset to factory defaults. At this point the unit is asking for a "recovery key". It states that I should go to MS recoverykeyfaq from another PC and tells me if I need it, the key ID is "xxxxx". Every time I follow the instructions it gives me the key for the PC that I am usin

:)

tjones5450, Jun 4, 2021

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jun 4, 2021
  3. Roger Win User
    MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

• Clean the metal pins on both the keyboard and the Surface Pro 3 with alcohol swap and q-tip.
    • Performed the standard two button shutdown procedure - Force a shutdown and restart your Surface
    • Update "HID keyboard" device in Device Manager.
    • Uninstall and reinstall "HID keyboard device" in Device Manager.
    • Removed HID keyboard device in Device Driver and manually installed Surface Type Cover device (which later automatically turns to "HID keyboard device" when you hit "update drivers")
    • Updated all Windows 10 patches to date.
    • Tried a brand new keyboard (Microsoft FMM-00001 Type Cover for Surface Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MPJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
    • Updated firmware for Surface Pro 3 (typed in “winver”, took that Windows version, then downloaded the specific patch required here - Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center)
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 while keeping personal files
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 and deleted all personal files
    • Performed hardware tests on aka.ms/surfacerepair (nothing bad found; all looks ok)
    • Drained the battery most of the way before connecting again - the two times it worked momentarily these last few days was when I connected my new type cover keyboard to the Surface Pro 3 after the battery had died down to below 50%; a simple reboot later, everything stopped working. This user seems to have the same problem with it working briefly when there is low battery - Surface Pro 3 Battery drain along with type cover connector failure )

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, Jun 4, 2021
  4. epete Win User

Reset MS Surface

Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

Thanks. I have already started a second effort to reset the Surface and not preserve any personal files. (Personal files are all stored elsewhere anyway) I suspect the same thing will happen. When it does, I will give your suggestions a try. By the way, after a reset, is there any way for me to keep my original PC name. My MS Office listed the original pc name as one of the 5 installs on my license. I didn't want to use up 2 licences on one PC.

epete, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

Reset MS Surface

1. Reset MS Surface - Similar Threads - Reset Surface

2. Storage unit find surface 8 pro needs factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage unit find surface 8 pro needs factory reset: Found a Microsoft surface windows 8 pro in a storage unit I bought and have attempted to reset it due to not having the previous owners login. And now it keeps asking me for a bitlocker. Is there a way to completly wipe the pc and start over with out having to login to the...
  3. Storage unit find surface 8 pro needs factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage unit find surface 8 pro needs factory reset: Found a Microsoft surface windows 8 pro in a storage unit I bought and have attempted to reset it due to not having the previous owners login. And now it keeps asking me for a bitlocker. Is there a way to completly wipe the pc and start over with out having to login to the...
  4. Storage unit find surface 8 pro needs factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I reset my laptop cuz it keeps shuting down randomly im on my surface pro To do this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset my laptop cuz it keeps shuting down randomly im on my surface pro To do this: My laptop is broken and its all updated and I reset and it works but I do have the network drivers for it on the USB I don't have mouse drivers this was from my surface cam...
  6. I reset my laptop cuz it keeps shuting down randomly im on my surface pro To do this

I reset my laptop cuz it keeps shuting down randomly im on my surface pro To do this: My laptop is broken and its all updated and I reset and it works but I do have the network drivers for it on the USB I don't have mouse drivers this was from my surface cam...
  7. Reset Micosoft Surface Laptop to factory image

Reset Micosoft Surface Laptop to factory image: I have Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 13" that was upgraded to Windows 11. I want to reset it to Fresh Install like factory reset setting as I am gifting it to my daughter. When I choose the Recovery Option "Reset this PC" I get the error message "Could not find the recovery...
  8. Reset Micosoft Surface Laptop to factory image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Micosoft Surface Laptop to factory image: I have Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 13" that was upgraded to Windows 11. I want to reset it to Fresh Install like factory reset setting as I am gifting it to my daughter. When I choose the Recovery Option "Reset this PC" I get the error message "Could not find the recovery...
  9. My Surface keyboard and touch were not working, so I factory reset it. But now it's in a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Surface keyboard and touch were not working, so I factory reset it. But now it's in a...: Window 10 surface pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-surface-keyboard-and-touch-were-not-working-so/6f378398-32b2-493f-88da-bd0aef3c3c2e
  10. My Surface keyboard and touch were not working, so I factory reset it. But now it's in a...

My Surface keyboard and touch were not working, so I factory reset it. But now it's in a...: Window 10 surface pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-surface-keyboard-and-touch-were-not-working-so/6f378398-32b2-493f-88da-bd0aef3c3c2e