Windows 10: Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with...

Discus and support Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Can I register a Windows 11 license key with my Microsoft account but not associate it with a computer at this time? It would be held there until I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ID7 23A, Oct 20, 2024 at 8:17 PM.

1. ID7 23A Win User

Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with...

Can I register a Windows 11 license key with my Microsoft account but not associate it with a computer at this time? It would be held there until I have another computer and want to install Windows 11 on it. One computer I have only works with Windows 10, the other already has Windows 11 on it. But I will likely need another computer in the future and would use this copy of Windows 11 on it.

:)

2. imacken Win User

Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Thanks again for your time in replying.
    I think we should forget about this discussion, as we seem to be at cross purposes.
    You have taken what I said out of context. I know how the activation has worked over the years - particularly in relation to re-installing and changing hardware, but that was/is not my point.
    My point is that I believed that the rules have changed in Anniversary regarding changing hardware and licensing activation. I was wrongly under the impression that MS had changed the rules to link a key to a MSA account rather than hardware. I was clearly wrong!
    I was saying in my previous post, that I would like to see MS adopt a similar approach as many other developers, i.e. attach the key to the user MSA and allow one install on one key. So, for example, one would de-activate on one device and re-activate the key on a new device linked via the user's MSA and registered key. Inputting a key would relate to a user and not hardware.
    But, that is not important as my opinion has no bearing on MS's activation policy, and I only mentioned it in passing!
    I repeat what I said in my previous post, I am interested in your statement 'I can transfer a license from a device listed on my Microsoft Account'. That seems to suggest what I was thinking in the first place! How is that done exactly? Other posts here suggest that devices can be deleted from the account and it makes no difference.

3. How to unlink Windows 10 license Key from my Microsoft Account

Hi Logan,

Removing your laptop from the list of devices on your Microsoft account will not affect the pre-installed Windows 10 license key. The license key is not associated with your Microsoft account, it is associated with the laptop.

Regards.

4. imacken Win User

Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with...

Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Thanks again.
    So, if I look on the list of devices on my MSA, there are some that I don't even own any more. Can I delete them and free up whatever key was used on those devices to be used on another device?

Thema:

1. Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with... - Similar Threads - Register license key

2. Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Register a Windows 11 license key on account for later use, no machine to associate it with...: Can I register a Windows 11 license key with my Microsoft account but not associate it with a computer at this time? It would be held there until I have another computer and want to install Windows 11 on it. One computer I have only works with Windows 10, the other already...
  3. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  4. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  5. Re-associate licenses to new email account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-associate licenses to new email account: I have some paid licenses which were associated to an old microsoft email account. Some licenses are activated while some are not just used this old email account to buy but not yet activated. Now I would like to re-associated all them to my another microsoft email. Is it...
  6. Re-associate licenses to new email account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-associate licenses to new email account: I have some paid licenses which were associated to an old microsoft email account. Some licenses are activated while some are not just used this old email account to buy but not yet activated. Now I would like to re-associated all them to my another microsoft email. Is it...
  7. Re-associate licenses to new email account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Associate Windows 10 Digital License with a Microsoft Account While Using a Local Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Associate Windows 10 Digital License with a Microsoft Account While Using a Local Account: I'm about to rebuild my PC. All I'm keeping is my graphics card and SSD. It is my understanding that I will have to reactivate Windows 10 after such drastic hardware changes. I use a local account on my machine, so my digital license isn't associated with my Microsoft...
  9. How to change the microsoft account associated with a machine?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change the microsoft account associated with a machine?: Hello. I am a recent graduate who built my computer about 2 years ago. Back then, I had microsoft office given by the school. Later I moved away and lost access to office, so in order to gain it back I used my parents' credentials. Since then, my entire user account on this...
  10. Change registered windows machines

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registered windows machines: Hey, I have windows 10 pro on one of my computers and I just bought another with preinstalled windows 10 home. I want to switch them, I mean, I want to have my windows 10 pro on my new computer which didn't yet arrive to me and windows 10 home from that freshly bought...