Windows 10: Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

Discus and support Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ChairmanMAO, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab whatever metadata they may contain regarding when the photo or video was shot or composed which isn't necessarily the same as when the file was created, since it may have been created on a different hardware platform, like a smartphone.This is very annoying when the folder contains thousands of files, which my iPhone

:)

ChairmanMAO, Feb 18, 2022
  2. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Music Metadata grabber

Been working on sorting movies/tv shows/music and looking for something thats free and grabs metadata for my music files. I could do it all manually, but having something that helps would be nice. Anyone got a suggestion?

1Kurgan1, Feb 18, 2022
  3. Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. Usually, there will be a minimal lag in the process when you are trying to perform any action on an external drive compared to your internal drive. However, if the lag is considerable we can try a few steps. In order to
    get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we need some information.

• Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?
    • Do you have a Raid configuration on any of the store drive?
    • Did you try to perform the same operation on a different PC with the same external drives?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to turn off the Auto tuning feature and then try to change metadata of the files.

Steps to turn off Auto-tuning:

1. Click on Start Menu and type
      Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Type “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled”
      and pressEnter.
    3. Now try to change the metadata of the files and check the time taken to complete.
    4. Again go to Command Prompt (Admin)
      and type “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal”
      and press Enter.
    5. This will turn on the Auto tuning again.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 18, 2022
  4. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

Editing/adding additional file properties/metadata for media files

I'm in the process of trying to organise and categorise my media files using file properties/metadata. When I go to the properties of, for example, an .mp4 file, I can edit the 'details' such as Title, Subtitle, Rating, Contributing Artists, Genre, Year, etc.

However, in Explorer, when I go to 'Add Columns', there are a number of columns that I can't find in the 'Details' window of the file properties. For example, there are columns for 'Episode number' and 'Season number' (useful for organising TV shows), but I can't figure out how to add these details to files.

Can anyone tell me how I can edit/add the following metadata to media files?

• #
    • Broadcast Date
    • Creators
    • Episode Name
    • Episode Number
    • Language
    • Season Number

Thank you for your help!

tjdickinson, Feb 18, 2022
Thema:

Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

1. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow - Similar Threads - Reading Metadata Media

2. When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?: I store my classical music in flac files. Being able to sort by composer is important to me. I have filled in the "composer" field in all my classical music flac files using Mp3tag, but Windows 11 Media Player does not acknowledge this tag. I have also appended album art...
  3. When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will Windows 11 Media Player be able to read more metadata in flac files?: I store my classical music in flac files. Being able to sort by composer is important to me. I have filled in the "composer" field in all my classical music flac files using Mp3tag, but Windows 11 Media Player does not acknowledge this tag. I have also appended album art...
  4. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  5. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  6. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow: Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab...
  7. Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow: I have a Lenovo C340 touchscreen laptop that I bought just a few weeks ago. Most of the time it works fine, as indeed it should do. But when I want to access files from Downloads or Documents saved on my laptop it often takes a long time for the green bar to move from left...
  8. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  9. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  10. Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10: I have had sever problems transferring files to my new Windows 10 laptop, something that appears to be happening to thousands of users. After days of troubleshooting, it appears that Windows gets stuck "calculating" the estimated transfer time or transfers at ridiculously...