Windows 10: Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse

Discus and support Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Above given is an image of desktop icon which is always been highlighted with this dotted square.So what happens basically is if I right click mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Sameer Ranjan, Oct 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM.

1. Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse

Above given is an image of desktop icon which is always been highlighted with this dotted square.So what happens basically is if I right click mouse then the dotted square disappears but after some left clicks it appears again.I have no specific problem in this highlighting but what happens is when browsing or doing anything most importantly while gaming the app gets minimized and the particular app which was like this gets selected.I have noticed that apps get minimized because this highlighting feature.If I refresh the desktop then this highlighting will not happen for some left clicks but

:)

Sameer Ranjan, Oct 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM
  2. Mithin_EJ Win User

Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse

Hi DorothyKaltz,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

I recommend you to follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Method: Highlighting and copy with mouse.

1. Click on the Windows logo
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Open the mouse & touchpad setting
    4. Turn off Scroll inactive windows
    5. Click on Advanced Mouse Options
    6. Adjust double click speed – (turning this setting down will help)

We await your response.

Regards,

3. opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Oct 1, 2024 at 12:15 PM
  4. Berton Win User

Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse

Issue with Control + Shift and Mousing Clicking

And if wanting random files in a list use the Ctrl key + click to select/highlight individual files. Ctrl + A selects everything in a Folder.

Thema:

Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse

1. Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse - Similar Threads - Random desktop icons

2. Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random desktop icons get selected/highlighted while clicking mouse: Above given is an image of desktop icon which is always been highlighted with this dotted square.So what happens basically is if I right click mouse then the dotted square disappears but after some left clicks it appears again.I have no specific problem in this highlighting...
  3. Right-click desktop icon, click "Change Icon...", select an icon, and click "Apply" does...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click desktop icon, click "Change Icon...", select an icon, and click "Apply" does...: Desktop icons are becoming the dog-eared piece of paper. I am unable to change the icons back in Windows 11. The steps to reproduce are:Right-click the desktop icon that I want to change back.Click "Properties". The Properties dialog is launched.Click the "Change Icon..."...
  4. Right-click desktop icon, click "Change Icon...", select an icon, and click "Apply" does...

Right-click desktop icon, click "Change Icon...", select an icon, and click "Apply" does...: Desktop icons are becoming the dog-eared piece of paper. I am unable to change the icons back in Windows 11. The steps to reproduce are:Right-click the desktop icon that I want to change back.Click "Properties". The Properties dialog is launched.Click the "Change Icon..."...
  5. Desktop icon highlight lagging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon highlight lagging: So sometimes the desktop icon highlight starts lagging and skips some icons. This usually doesn't happen on all icons only some. Does anyone know a fix to this. Demonstration: https://youtu.be/k7360PkNnu4...
  6. Desktop icon highlight lagging

Desktop icon highlight lagging: So sometimes the desktop icon highlight starts lagging and skips some icons. This usually doesn't happen on all icons only some. Does anyone know a fix to this. Demonstration: https://youtu.be/k7360PkNnu4...
  7. Mouse automatically highlights and selects everything it passes by

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse automatically highlights and selects everything it passes by: Does anyone know how do disable option that automatically highlights and selects stuff ? I looked it up and many people said disabling stickykeys should help, disabled it and still doesn't work. Edit : I have a desktop submitted by /u/EnVyJabami [link] [comments]...
  8. Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue Highlighting and copy Text selection with mouse: I am running Windows 64 bit on a Lenova Yoga 3. Since the upgrade, I cannot select text. It will highlight, but it won't hold. I am using right click on my mouse. I am also having problems selecting text boxes, likes, etc. Having zero computer skills, it is very...
  9. Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse: Can any Microsoft technicians or any Microsoft Community members create an app that will turn off the Mouse Hover / Auto-Select / auto-highlight function in Windows 10, please. The Microsoft technicians should create a trouble-shooting tool to do it. It is clearly evident via...
  10. Remove desktop icon highlight?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove desktop icon highlight?: Hello all Just setup a PC with my first version of Windows 10 this past weekend and have found that unlike in Win 7, I get this weird translucent highlighted box around my desktop icons in both a light version if I just hover over it with the mouse curser that goes away if I...