Windows 10: Putting a old ssd on a new pc

Discus and support Putting a old ssd on a new pc in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Helloi recently bought a new second-handstock pc. it has a 256 GB ssd. i want to import my data from my old pc to my new pc . my old system has 1 ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ilyasoo, Jul 25, 2024.

1. ilyasoo Win User

Putting a old ssd on a new pc

Helloi recently bought a new second-handstock pc. it has a 256 GB ssd. i want to import my data from my old pc to my new pc . my old system has 1 ssd and 2 hdd. both of the systems are WIN 10I have some questions:If i put my old ssd and hdd into my new pc, do i get all my data back? will i miss anything?Am i be able to open my applications and games or i have to download them again?Because both ssd's have OS 10 on them, If both of them are included in the system, will there be a problem?if there's anything i need to do, please tell me.Thank You

:)

ilyasoo, Jul 25, 2024

2. New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

Only the old ssd is listed in the boot order as the new ssd doesn't have an MBR partition.

The pc recognizes both devices as connected (and I use the new ssd for more than a year with windows installed on it) it just doesn't have the necessary partition for booting up, thats why the ssd doesn't show up as an option in the boot order.

Marnix Houthuys, Jul 25, 2024
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jul 25, 2024
  4. Putting a old ssd on a new pc

New ssd won't boot up without old ssd attached to pc - new ssd only has one partition

Hi Igor,

Thank you for looking into my problem.
    I'm sorry, here you go:

Putting a old ssd on a new pc 1a1ce383-37da-4cb7-befb-7ee3e4bc0fe2?upload=true.png

Sadly the new ssd doesn't show up as a boot option in the boot order in BIOS, the only boot options are old ssd with the MBR partition (and bootable usb when plugged in). The new ssd is listed as a coupled device though, but not listed as a boot-option.

I did try the Repair (not install) option using the bootable usb (while the old ssd is removed, new ssd is still plugged in) but Windows notified that the repair procedure couldn't fix the problem.

Is there a way to get a 2nd partition on the new ssd, destined for booting it (just like the old ssd has)? (without formatting the new ssd and doing a clean reinstall of windows)

Kind regards,

Marnix

Marnix Houthuys, Jul 25, 2024
Thema:

Putting a old ssd on a new pc

1. Putting a old ssd on a new pc - Similar Threads - Putting old ssd

2. Putting a old ssd on a new pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Putting a old ssd on a new pc: Helloi recently bought a new second-handstock pc. it has a 256 GB ssd. i want to import my data from my old pc to my new pc . my old system has 1 ssd and 2 hdd. both of the systems are WIN 10I have some questions:If i put my old ssd and hdd into my new pc, do i get all my...
  3. Putting a old ssd on a new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Putting a old ssd on a new pc: Helloi recently bought a new second-handstock pc. it has a 256 GB ssd. i want to import my data from my old pc to my new pc . my old system has 1 ssd and 2 hdd. both of the systems are WIN 10I have some questions:If i put my old ssd and hdd into my new pc, do i get all my...
  4. Ethernet limited after putting old PC parts in new case

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet limited after putting old PC parts in new case: My ethernet is limited to 10MB per second after taking my old custom made pc and putting the parts inside a new case. I've tested the cable on my laptop and it gets 400MB which is the speed I had before. I've already tried changing the Duplex settings and tried installing...
  5. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  6. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build: I recently bought a brand new PC, and thought it would be good to add my old SSD to it. When the system booted up for the first time, it somehow reverted back to the old windows files were exactly where they were etc, with windows still in the old drive.I would like to ask a...
  7. Connected old SSD with windows to new PC build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Just put a new ssd in my pc and now it's not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Just put a new ssd in my pc and now it's not working.: so i just got a new ssd to replace my old hdd entirely because it started really slowing down my pc. I put the ssd where the old hdd's cables were sata and the big one and my pc is booting up, but afterwards it says no boot device found press any key to reboot. I checked the...
  9. SSD Moved from old to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SSD Moved from old to new PC: Hello, I recently built a new computer and moved my SSD that contained my windows install from the old to the new computer. Everything boots fine, but I'm getting the notifications that my copy of windows is not genuine and that I need to provide a windows key. I never had to...
  10. Old SSD to new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old SSD to new computer: I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer. When I hook up the...