Windows 10: Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

Discus and support Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MartinLiss, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows Defender. However after I installed it it showed me that McAfee was being used and I couldn't find a way to do a scan via Defender. I then shut down McAfee but that didn't help. What should I do?

:)

MartinLiss, Apr 14, 2024
  2. Bob_610 Win User

Can I Run Widows Defender Alongside McAfee?

I upgraded to Widows 10 some time ago and my antivirus etc protection simply continued through McAfee provided through BT NetProtect with no issues, I didn't believe windows defender was running as my understanding was McAfee disabled it as part of the McAfee
    install because you should not have 2 AV programs running real time simultaneously.

Suddenly the other day Windows Defender pops into life and is now running on my PC as well. I have no idea what I did to activate it, but is this a problem or should I turn one of them off?

Bob_610, Apr 15, 2024
  3. Conflict between McAfee and Windows Defender

Did you ask McAfee support (http://service.mcafee.com/) and/or in their forum (McAfee Support Community)?

Try to

In case Windows Defender is still not disabled after doing the above steps, either

disable Windows Defender manually (see the Answer-marked post of GreginMich in

this
    thread)

or

use a REG file (see Option 2 here: Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 )

Jsssssssss, Apr 15, 2024
  4. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

Windows Defender and McAfee

Suggestion to read the replies in this recent thread on same topic:

Redirecting

Similar threads can be found with this search:

Cheers,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Apr 15, 2024
Thema:

Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

1. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender - Similar Threads - Problem replacing McAfee

2. Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender detecting McAfee Defender as Malware: Hi, I have realized that I cannot launch McAfee as usual. On daily security recap, the Windows Defender marked McAfee process as a severe malware.Screenshots are provided in this Google Drive link, the images always fail to upload to this...
  3. Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem replacing McAfee with Widows Defender: I'e used McAfee antivirus for many years. Currently I'm using the Total Protection version in Windows 11, but it has the annoying habit of popping up unwanted ads for McAfee products that I don't want with no way to shut them off, so I want to replace it with Windows...
  4. Widows Defender and Firewall

Widows Defender and Firewall: Is it safe to disable Windows Defender and Firewall to enable downloading Canon software for Canon TR4560 printer/scanner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/widows-defender-and-firewall/387113cb-0c65-4207-83f9-e0887bf516b7
  5. Windows Defender and McAfee thinks there is a virus in the Widows 10 Media Creation Tool...

Windows Defender and McAfee thinks there is a virus in the Widows 10 Media Creation Tool...: Further, if I ignore the virus warning - foolishly, perhaps - the tool installer won't run due to a sidebyside error. Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes out there?...
  6. McAfee and windows defender

McAfee and windows defender: I have McAfee LiveSave installed on my windows 10 home edition which is taking over the Windows defender firewall. I am trying to add some restrictions in the windows defender firewall inbound policy but it seems to have no effect. I tried blocking port 445 but a netstat...
  7. window defender or mcafee

window defender or mcafee: Hello. I have purchased a new computer that has mcafee installed. I don't want McAfee and prefer Windows defender from the information that I have gathered from the internet. So, can I completely remove MCAfee from my computer and turn on Windows Defender? How do I do this...
  8. Problem with McAfee

Problem with McAfee: MY MCAFEE IS SNOOZED AND ALSO SHOW'S ME THAT WE ARE GETTING UP YOUR AWARD WINNING ANYIVIRUS SHORTLY? [Original Title: MCAFEE] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-with-mcafee/c2668a76-2a47-4e0c-94fb-c6ced1783ed7
  9. widow defender update

widow defender update: this update never completes, always has an error, is there a way around said error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/widow-defender-update/dc1b3a72-8228-4f6e-857a-417ad78a80cc
  10. Windows 10 defender & McAfee

Windows 10 defender & McAfee: I am running McAfee internet security on windows 10. My question is should windows defender be on as well? I don't seem to be able to switch it off, it just comes back on after a while. I don't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere. 71413