Windows 10: Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

Discus and support Problem deleting certain user\temp directories in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I perform maintenance on several Windows 10 VMs that contain many users on each VM. I use this clumsy batch file from administrative command prompt to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Axtell_089, Sep 7, 2024.

1. Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

I perform maintenance on several Windows 10 VMs that contain many users on each VM. I use this clumsy batch file from administrative command prompt to automate the process.del /s/f/q C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del /s/f/q C:\Users\user2\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del /s/f/q C:\Users\user3\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*..and so forth.Problem is the directories that get left behind accumulate enough to cause performance issues. I can delete these as administrator from file explorer and using rmdir /s from administrative command prompt, but neither of can be automated. Here is an example of the ma

:)

Axtell_089, Sep 7, 2024
  2. BetaKast Win User

Curious if it is safe to delete .tmp files with in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory?

I've been curious as to if it is safe to delete these .tmp files in the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp directory. If not the can someone please provide a full SAFE list of directories for any and all TEMP file(s) that are 100% SAFE to delete within Windows 10.

Thanks,

Beta

BetaKast, Sep 7, 2024
  3. WalterH Win User
    Can I delete temporary User Profiles and folders from Users directory?

I am trying to determine whether I can delete TEMP User Profiles. One of my Win 10 Pro machines was updated to Version 1903 last night. After rebooting and trying to log in, I received the message "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in." I was about the try repairing the registry but decided to just do several reboots. For some reason, this fixed the sign-in issue. However, now I notice that four temporary User Profiles were created, all starting with TEMP.

Problem deleting certain user\temp directories 241283d1564083626t-can-i-delete-temporary-user-profiles-folders-users-directory-users.jpg

Looking at the registry entries in ProfileList, I see the entry ending in 1001 (which is for user haisler) and the one ending in 1003 (which is for user adminwh), and these look OK and work OK for sign-in. So my sign-in problem is fixed. None of the entries in the ProfileList are connected to the TEMP user profiles.

Problem deleting certain user\temp directories 241284d1564083540t-can-i-delete-temporary-user-profiles-folders-users-directory-haisler.jpg

Looking at folders/files stored for the User profiles starting with TEMP (like Desktop, Documents, etc), I don't see any files there the are connected to the main user (haisler).

So Questions: Is it safe to delete the four folders starting with TEMP in the Users directory? Is there any other step that needs to be taken to delete these four User Profiles and associated files?

WalterH, Sep 7, 2024
  4. Drone Win User

Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Sep 7, 2024
Thema:

Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

1. Problem deleting certain user\temp directories - Similar Threads - Problem deleting certain

2. Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem deleting certain user\temp directories: I perform maintenance on several Windows 10 VMs that contain many users on each VM. I use this clumsy batch file from administrative command prompt to automate the process.del /s/f/q C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del /s/f/q C:\Users\user2\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del...
  3. Problem deleting certain user\temp directories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem deleting certain user\temp directories: I perform maintenance on several Windows 10 VMs that contain many users on each VM. I use this clumsy batch file from administrative command prompt to automate the process.del /s/f/q C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del /s/f/q C:\Users\user2\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*del...
  4. Not able to delete a directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to delete a directory: Hi I am the administrator on my PC, yet I am unable to delete a specific directory. I get a message "You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to the folder" I right clicked on the directory, and clicked on Security, and advanced, and then...
  5. Directory Deletion Error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Directory Deletion Error: [ATTACH] I am trying to delete a directory from my USB drive but I am keep getting the following error that is in the attached picture: https://preview.redd.it/kdhlcq4xf2u51.png?width=450&format=png&auto=webp&s=22dedda0bfd3b625461b701dd4140aeb3b1f2607 I tried everything...
  6. Problem With Delete a Directory

Problem With Delete a Directory: Hi There, Some Minutes Ago I tried To Delete a Directory By Pressing Del Delete Button on keyboard But Unfortunately I gave an error from windows. I Inserted that below. Please Guide Me. [ATTACH]...
  7. Cannot delete directory

Cannot delete directory: Access is denied to folder and cannot be removed. How can I change the properties and remove the folder? Compare with linux "sudo rm" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-directory/50604bd6-75b8-441d-945b-7bc957eed458"
  8. Deleting Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Directory: I am logged in as an Administrator and I cannot delete a directory- I don't have permission. I checked in to properties and it says Administrators have Full Access. It also shows Trusted Installers have Full access - who is that???? How do I uninstall a directory ? Thanks...
  9. Unable to delete a directory

Unable to delete a directory: Hi - I downloaded a directory via FTP using FileZilla (which I do a lot) but for some reason I am unable to delete the directory on my local drive. I get "Item Not Found" / "Could not find this item" even though its there and I can actually open the directory and add files....
  10. Problem with deleting directories from the c dive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with deleting directories from the c dive.: I have about 500 empty directories on my c: drive with names like the ones pasted below. I believe a failed Quicken install left them there. Anyway, normally this would be no big deal, but in this case, they are all at the root level and it makes my "real" directories hard to...