Windows 10: Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?

Discus and support Possible to run SFC command from bootable media? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I can never get this to work but I'm not sure if it's even possible from the recovery environment or attached as an external drive to a working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LCSystems, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?

I can never get this to work but I'm not sure if it's even possible from the recovery environment or attached as an external drive to a working machine.

I use my Windows 10 21H2 bootable USB to load the device into a recovery environment. Then I go into Diskpart and assign a letter to the volume with the Windows directory. Next when I exit Diskpart and change to that new drive letter and run the "sfc /scannow" command I always get the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". I've also tried doing this by attaching the drive externally to a working PC and do an SFC with the offbootdir/offwindir pointing to the appropriate drive and still get the same error.

Am I doing something in the process wrong? Or is it just not possible to run SFC without getting into Windows on that drive?

submitted by /u/LCSystems
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LCSystems, Jun 6, 2022
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Jun 6, 2022
  3. Naki Win User
    GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile Possible to run SFC command from bootable media? :)

Naki, Jun 6, 2022
  4. ryanly Win User

Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Current /? (-?) or / help (-help) parameter is invalid

ryanly, Jun 6, 2022
Thema:

Possible to run SFC command from bootable media?

1. Possible to run SFC command from bootable media? - Similar Threads - Possible run SFC

2. Is it possible to run clean boot from command prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to run clean boot from command prompt?: In Windows 10 I did a clean boot with everything disabled. I am attaching even Ethernet cable because my WiFi auto connecting was disabled from before. And still I can't create a new pin. I know my password and pin but I am not able to type them. Is it possible to enter...
  3. Is it possible to run clean boot from command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to run clean boot from command prompt?: In Windows 10 I did a clean boot with everything disabled. I am attaching even Ethernet cable because my WiFi auto connecting was disabled from before. And still I can't create a new pin. I know my password and pin but I am not able to type them. Is it possible to enter...
  4. Is it possible to run clean boot from command prompt?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command: Hello,When I run sfc /scannow command, it showing me that 'sfc scannow finds some corrupted files but unable to fix them'. When I checked CBS logs, I found these error messages-1. DEPLOY [Pnp] Failed repairing file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vmbusr.sys:...
  6. Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encountering errors while running sfc /scannow command: Hello,When I run sfc /scannow command, it showing me that 'sfc scannow finds some corrupted files but unable to fix them'. When I checked CBS logs, I found these error messages-1. DEPLOY [Pnp] Failed repairing file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vmbusr.sys:...
  7. Bootable Media

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bootable Media: Hello, I am attempting to create bootable media from a USB Thumbdrive, and using the windows 7 USB/DVD tool in order to boot from the device., when its at 100%, it says files copied successfully, but unable to run bootsect, to make the drive bootable. how would I go about...
  8. Running the SFC and DISM commands

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running the SFC and DISM commands: The picture below shows how I run the sfc & dism cmds --- sfc should be run before & after the dism cmd --- [IMG] It works for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/running-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/3d325608-c97d-401a-8cbf-9d0a7f499bcb
  9. SFC wont run from boot command prompt, says ....

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC wont run from boot command prompt, says ....: SFC wont run from boot command prompt, says there are other pending actions and needs to reboot. Rebooting does no good. in other win OS this command, dism.exe /image:c:\/cleanup-image /revertpendingactions would fix this issue. Edit: I just found the Dism command on...
  10. Run SFC Command in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10: How to: Run SFC Command in Windows 10 How to Repair System Files with SFC Command in Windows 10 The SFC command scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect (corrupted or modified) versions with correct Microsoft versions. This tutorial...