Windows 10: Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old

Discus and support Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Microsoft photos is changing the date on pictures more than 100 years old when opening in the app to reflect a date no older than 100 years old, i.e.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mary Kacz, Jul 4, 2024 at 6:52 PM.

1. Mary Kacz Win User

Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old

Microsoft photos is changing the date on pictures more than 100 years old when opening in the app to reflect a date no older than 100 years old, i.e. photo from 7/4/1905 is changed to 7/4/1924 when viewed in the photos app on 7/4/2024

:)

2. Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100 years ago.

I am currently running Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1555

Photos app version is 2023.11010.17009.0

Windows Explorer is handing the Date Taken correctly. I can set the date to something in 1917 and it stays set. Until I look at the picture with the Photos App.

I did a Repair on the Photos App and nothing changed.

Also, if I try to change the Date Taken with the Photos App itself, 1923 is the oldest year that it allows. It seems like 1923 is an internal limit to what it will support. Or, my biggest fear, is that it is imposing a limit of no more than 100 years ago. Which means as time goes by the Photos App will mess up the dates on even more of my old photos.

One other detail I forgot to mention. You need to use the > button to advance OVER the photo with the old date. If I just click on the photo to open it with the Photo App, the date will display wrong, but if I close the photo app immediately then Windows Explorer properties/details still shows the correct date.

Try this experiment. Pick a photo in a directory, use Windows Explorer properties/details and set the Date Taken to any date in 1917. Then click on the photo in the directory just before the one you set the date on, open the info tab, and advance (the > button) to the photo with the old date. Is it 1917? Or 1923. Then advanced to again. Close Photos App, and check the date with WIndows Explorer properties/details.

Dan Messinger, Jul 4, 2024 at 6:57 PM
  3. JOEFYIE Win User
    Photo Date

I had an old digital camera which defaulted my photos to 2099. Now, they appear at the top of my list. Is there a way to change the date on a group of such photos?

4. Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old

Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100 years ago.

I noticed that the Microsoft Photo app is changing the "Data Taken" field if the date is old. I have scanned pictures from my parents and grandparents and used the file properties/details tab to set the Date Taken field. Some of these pictures are from the 1910 to 1920 range. When I view them (just viewing, not editing) with the Photo's app, the Date Taken is displayed as 1/1/1923. If I check the file properties/details I see that the EXIF data has been changed to 1/1/1923. If I set it again (e.g., a data in 1917), do other things, and look again with file properties, the date is still correct. But if I look at it with the Photo App, the date taken is changed back to 1/1/1923.

Dan Messinger, Jul 4, 2024 at 6:57 PM
Thema:

Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old

1. Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old - Similar Threads - Photos changing date

2. Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos changing date on photos more than 100 years old: Microsoft photos is changing the date on pictures more than 100 years old when opening in the app to reflect a date no older than 100 years old, i.e. photo from 7/4/1905 is changed to 7/4/1924 when viewed in the photos app on 7/4/2024...
  3. Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...: I noticed that the Microsoft Photo app is changing the "Data Taken" field if the date is old. I have scanned pictures from my parents and grandparents and used the file properties/details tab to set the Date Taken field. Some of these pictures are from the 1910 to 1920 range....
  4. Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does the Photo App not like old photos? It changes the Date Taken if it is more than 100...: I noticed that the Microsoft Photo app is changing the "Data Taken" field if the date is old. I have scanned pictures from my parents and grandparents and used the file properties/details tab to set the Date Taken field. Some of these pictures are from the 1910 to 1920 range....
  5. Dates on old photos randomly got changed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dates on old photos randomly got changed?: For reference, my computer uses Windows 10, but I have an iPhone. Yesterday I was trying to transfer a few recent photos from my phone to my computer - I've done this a million times, by the way, so it should've worked the same. The recent photos got transferred no problem,...
  6. Is there a way to change the date to a year earlier than 1990?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change the date to a year earlier than 1990?: there's a glitch on discord with date changing where you can set the date back then set it forward and it will make it appear as if you have been playing a game for whatever distance of time in between the earlier date and the current date and i wanted to make it seem like...
  7. Changing month and year in photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing month and year in photos: Can anyone give me simple instructions on how to change the month and year in photos for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-month-and-year-in-photos/507daef9-2fde-4cbf-90c8-607f12c8c977
  8. More than 5 duplicates of the same photo.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    More than 5 duplicates of the same photo.: Hi I have opened my photos and have found that I have 6 copies of the same photo. This is how they have been listed. (please see below) Does this mean that I have to manually delete all of these? I am very unsure as to how this has happened. I would appreciate anyones...
  9. Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE: Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or How can I change it so that it will use data 143228
  10. Can't change photo date

Can't change photo date: Why can't I change the data on some (most) of my photos, yet on some (a few) I can. Procedure is the same; select a photo's tick box in collection view, right click menu but then Change date is greyed out. Why? I can't see anything consistent about which photos will and...