Windows 10: PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

Discus and support PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Benjamin Gue, Jul 20, 2024.

1. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking that my PC tried booting from the new SSD without windows installed on it, instead of my old SSD. I check the boot priority and I couldn't find my old SSD there, but when I took out the new SSD and check again, it appeared. I was wondering how to fix this issue. Do I need to update my BIOS or something?

:)

Benjamin Gue, Jul 20, 2024
  2. ensiv Win User

cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep windows but i'm wondering if there will be any hardware problems since my new pc will have a completely different motherboard, cpu and gpu, if there is any hardware problems is there anyway to get around it? or would i just have to install windows by itself on the new m.2 nvme and then afterward copy all the files except windows from the old ssd

ensiv, Jul 20, 2024
  3. hgeri0419 Win User
    Pendrive Windows installer loop on m.2 nvme

Hey! I just bought a m.2 nvme ssd and wanted to format my old ssd and make a whole new installation on my m.2 when I plug in the usb pendrive its fine as always but when I get to the point that the pc restarts itself thats where things go bad.

After restarting it boots up the usb pendrive installer again, and yes i have tried changing the boot sequence to boot from the m.2 but it just wont, nothing will boot from there even tho the files are there.

The interesting thing is that I can install windows 10 from the pendrive with the exact same method easily to my old SATA ssd.

Motherboard: Gigabyte b460m ds3h

M.2 ssd: Western Digital WD Black SN770 1TB M.2 NVMe (WDS100T3X0E)

hgeri0419, Jul 20, 2024
  4. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

Reactivating Windows with newly installed m.2 nvme ssd with the old sata ssd also installed.

I bought a PC a bit ago from a friends and the pc came with a 120 GB sata ssd and a 2 tb hardrive installed. I just bought a 1 tb samsung 980 m.2 nvme ssd I want to install and make the boot drive. For some reason no matter what I try, the PC still refers to itself has the old user and it's a small thing but I wanted to reset the 120 GB ssd so the C\ drive is in my name and make the new SSD the main drive. The hardrive has all the files I care about keeping at this point and I was wondering what is the best way to go about correctly resetting the smaller SSD and being able to correctly install windows on the new SSD so that is the new boot drive.

I know an okay amount about PC's but I definitely have a lot to learn so if any clarification is needed, please ask.

Harry._.boy, Jul 20, 2024
Thema:

PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

1. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it - Similar Threads - wont boot old

2. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it: I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking that my PC tried booting from the new SSD without windows installed on it, instead of my old SSD. I check the boot priority and...
  3. PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC wont boot from my old SSD when I install a new nvme m,2 SSD with nothing on it: I recently installed a new nvme m.2 SSD and when I turn on my computer it asked me to select a boot device. As a result I entered the BIOS thinking that my PC tried booting from the new SSD without windows installed on it, instead of my old SSD. I check the boot priority and...
  4. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  5. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  6. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  7. Slow M.2 nvme ssd

Slow M.2 nvme ssd: Hi.I have Lexar NM620 M.2 2280 256GB SSD.Recently when I checked my ssd's read and write speed I noticed a significant performance drop. This is how it used to be a month ago :And this is how it is now :I mean these speeds are not even SATA ssd speeds. Could you help me with...
  8. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  9. NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe M.2 SSD: Hello, I have the Asus Rog Rampage Extreme Omega motherboard, X299 chipset. Currently, I have the Samsung 970 Pro which is a PCIe 3.0x4. From what I understand my motherboard only supports up to PCIe3.0x4. I also understand that PCIe is backwards compatible. Therefore, if...
  10. Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware: I need help! I upgraded my computer to a ROG x570-I motherboard and Ryzen 9 3900 processor; and while i was at it, I cloned my m.2 ssd with windows from Arconis and moved it to a new "rocket" gen4 m.2 using the pcie. It won't boot. Asus doesn't show it in the boot drive...