Windows 10: PC not shutting down when pressing the button

Discus and support PC not shutting down when pressing the button in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've been having this issue for some time now. When I click on the windows button and press "shut down" the PC starts loading normally it takes about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by leo.lippi, Jul 7, 2024.

1. leo.lippi Win User

PC not shutting down when pressing the button

I've been having this issue for some time now. When I click on the windows button and press "shut down" the PC starts loading normally it takes about 30 secs as if it would shut down, then everything turns off for 1 second and after that the PC vents start spinning again and the power button is turned on, also the mouse and keyboard have lights on, but not all the buttons, just 2 in the right upper corner. However, windows doesn't load and the display is completely black as if turned off, only thing I can do is keep the power button pressed for 6 secs and force the shut down. If somebody has

:)

leo.lippi, Jul 7, 2024
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

not shutting down even i press thee shut down button

Hi Rohith,

This issue may occur if there are processes or services still running on the background or a faulty device driver installed on your device. If your PC is still on the
    "Shutting down" screen until now, you can force it to shut down by pressing the
    Power button for 5 to 10 seconds or until it turns off.

As an initial troubleshooting step, we'd recommend running the power troubleshooter on your device to help us identify and fix any underlying factors that may be causing the issue. To run the troubleshooter on your device, follow these steps:

• Click on the Windows icon on your computer, then type in Troubleshoot.
    • At the left pane, choose Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power, then
      Run the troubleshooter.
    • Follow the prompt, then see if it'll resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Rey Bel1, Jul 7, 2024
  3. Slions Win User
    Slions, Jul 7, 2024
  4. PC not shutting down when pressing the button

When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 7, 2024
Thema:

PC not shutting down when pressing the button

1. PC not shutting down when pressing the button - Similar Threads - shutting down pressing

2. PC not shutting down when pressing the button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not shutting down when pressing the button: I've been having this issue for some time now. When I click on the windows button and press "shut down" the PC starts loading normally it takes about 30 secs as if it would shut down, then everything turns off for 1 second and after that the PC vents start spinning again and...
  3. My PC Completely Shuts Down When Pressing the Sleep Button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC Completely Shuts Down When Pressing the Sleep Button: I've had the issue of my PC completely shutting down when attempting to put it in sleep mode since I've gotten it. It was originally built for my cousin, but ended up in my hands. I practically know nothjng about the software, but have done my best in trying to solve the...
  4. My PC Completely Shuts Down When Pressing the Sleep Button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC Completely Shuts Down When Pressing the Sleep Button: I've had the issue of my PC completely shutting down when attempting to put it in sleep mode since I've gotten it. It was originally built for my cousin, but ended up in my hands. I practically know nothjng about the software, but have done my best in trying to solve the...
  5. My PC Completely Shuts Down When Pressing the Sleep Button

6. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  7. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  8. Shut Down button locks PC

Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  9. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  10. Computer does not shut down when I press the power button

Computer does not shut down when I press the power button: Hey So I have set the options to shut down when I press the power button from power option, system settings but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a solution to this?...