Windows 10: Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?

Discus and support Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm currently having some serious problems with Steam. Every time I open Steam, after the Updating Steam dialogue has finished running, it crashes and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KhánhNguyễn Hy, Sep 27, 2024 at 1:02 AM.

1. Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?

I'm currently having some serious problems with Steam. Every time I open Steam, after the Updating Steam dialogue has finished running, it crashes and my PC gets a BSoD. Running the dump files through the WinDbg debugging program says that a driver named steamxbox.sys has something to do with this.I could open Steam normally once when I updated the Xbox Controller in the Xbox Accessories app. But the problem comes back today. How can I resolve this problem? I appreciate any help I can get. I have asked Steam Support and they say reaching out to MS Support would be better. Dell Inspiron 5584Int

:)

KhánhNguyễn Hy, Sep 27, 2024 at 1:02 AM

2. BSoD when opening Steam

It started March 28 when I tried opening Steam, it went to the updating window then after it extracts and finish installing the update, the window closes then I encounter the BSoD. After restart, I see the Steam icon on my desktop and when I click it (even if I run it as administrator) the update window appears, closes, then BSoD, restart. This issue seems to be common with Steam and I looked up at many community posts (Steam, Reddit, and Microsoft) regarding this and tried the solutions given but I still encounter the BSoD.

Things I've done so far, in no particular order:

• Run Steam as administrator
    • Uninstall and reinstall Steam (Already done this for like around 15 times and every time I reinstall, guess what, yep, BSoD)
    • Delete Steam folder in ProgramFiles/CommonFiles
    • Update GPU drivers on NVIDIA GeForce Experience
    • Uninstall Display adapter driver then restart
    • Check for Windows updates in Settings
    • In-place upgrade of Windows 11 (Optioned to keep my files. I tried it thrice, first try failed and showed error code 0xC1900101 - 0x2000c then freed up some space to around 113Gb on the C:\ drive. Second try failed with the same error code then I tried to uninstall Bitdefender and Malwarebytes antivirus. The third try went haywire and experienced error code 0xc0000225 and corrupted something with the boot files)
    • CMD for sfc scan and DISM (No errors found)
    • Used Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (No errors found)
    • Installed WinDbg to see dump files. It was my first time to try and check dump files and too dumb to understand things written in there but I saw something about steamxbox.sys
    • Used Autoruns.exe to disable/untick the steamxbox.sys driver (I encountered a much worse problem wherein after removing the driver then restarting my laptop, it went to sign-in screen but neither the keyboard or trackpad or external keyboard and mouse worked so I can't use it but keyboard and trackpad works after 2 or restarts and entered a blue screen where I can go for system restore and choose a restore point. After system restore, steamxbox.sys is ticked again)

Since I can't even open Steam, I can't remove steamxbox.sys under the xbox controller support settings in Steam.

I also manually checked the Device Manager and saw that every driver under Human Interface Device have the steamxbox.sys listed on their driver details.
    • Reinstalled antiviruses and did a complete system scan and came out clean (This procedure may be irrelevant with my problem but an article suggested it since I also experienced Wdf01000.sys BSoD)
    NOTE: My laptop is undervolted to -0.120V using Intel XTU since I experience temp issues when gaming but I've reset it back to default 0V and done all the solutions mentioned above (except Autoruns) but still experiencing KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSoD whenever I try to reinstall Steam.

Here is the dump file and msinfo file: Minidump

The dump files from March 28 and 29 are missing from the minidump folder and only 5 dump files are present which is dated March 30. So some of the BSoD I encountered throughout experimenting to fix this might not be recorded on the dump files I uploaded. To list some that I can still remember, I had WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP BSoDs.

Please help me with this problem. I only want to play my games on Steam.

EtherealDarkFlame, Sep 27, 2024 at 1:09 AM
  3. steam problem

Hi,

There are a lot of possible reasons why your steam game is not opening. One of which is having a corrupted game file. To resolve this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

Step 1: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. This can help remove problems with an app from Windows Store. To do this, you may refer to the link below:

Click here

Step 2: Reset the game from the Settings menu.

• Click Start and click Settings.
    • Select System.
    • Select Apps and features.
    • Find the game and click Advanced options.
    • Click Reset. You need to restart your computer to let the changes take effect.

Step 3: Try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

If the issue persist, we highly recommend that you contact Steam support for additional troubleshooting steps.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post anytime.

4. axe0 Win User

Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?

BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD, Dump File attached

Hi Groggubus,

Welcome to the 10forums Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this? :)

Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble and increase the boot time.

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

1. Uninstall Daemon Tools
    2. Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this? [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Please follow this suggestion for the BSOD
    1. Please open BitDefender and go to the modules,
    2. Go to the firewall settings,
    3. Uncheck 'Block port scans in the network',
    4. Reboot your system <-- IMPORTANT

Thema:

Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?

1. Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this? - Similar Threads - Opening Steam causes

2. Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Steam causes BSoD every time. How could I fix this?: I'm currently having some serious problems with Steam. Every time I open Steam, after the Updating Steam dialogue has finished running, it crashes and my PC gets a BSoD. Running the dump files through the WinDbg debugging program says that a driver named steamxbox.sys has...
  3. Having Problems with a BSOD. Every time it's caused by driver "ntsokrnl.exe". I have BSOD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having Problems with a BSOD. Every time it's caused by driver "ntsokrnl.exe". I have BSOD...: Hi, I've been having issues recently with my computer BSOD. I have used BlueScreenView to see what's caused it, and each time it has listed the driver "ntsokrnl.exe". The Bug Check String was, for each one, "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". Bug Check Code is 0x00000050. I have...
  4. Having Problems with a BSOD. Every time it's caused by driver "ntsokrnl.exe". I have BSOD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having Problems with a BSOD. Every time it's caused by driver "ntsokrnl.exe". I have BSOD...: Hi, I've been having issues recently with my computer BSOD. I have used BlueScreenView to see what's caused it, and each time it has listed the driver "ntsokrnl.exe". The Bug Check String was, for each one, "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". Bug Check Code is 0x00000050. I have...
  5. Having Problems with a BSOD. Every time it's caused by driver "ntsokrnl.exe". I have BSOD...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. BSOD Every time i open my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Every time i open my laptop: Hi I have a lenovo legion 5 laptop AMD ver bought it on dec of 2023 it had windows 11. but i have problems now. I get blue screen every single time when i open my laptop. So far it was mostly ntoskrnl.exe and system thread exception not handled. Now it had driver...
  7. BSOD Every time i open my laptop

BSOD Every time i open my laptop: Hi I have a lenovo legion 5 laptop AMD ver bought it on dec of 2023 it had windows 11. but i have problems now. I get blue screen every single time when i open my laptop. So far it was mostly ntoskrnl.exe and system thread exception not handled. Now it had driver...
  8. Computer BSOD every time steam starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer BSOD every time steam starts: Hello,My computer started BSODing on startup after the login screen. The attached image appears whenever SyncThing launches. First, I reseated both of my RAM sticks and the issue persisted. Then, I went into safe mode and the issue stopped happening. I disabled Steam which...
  9. Computer BSOD every time steam starts

Computer BSOD every time steam starts: Hello,My computer started BSODing on startup after the login screen. The attached image appears whenever SyncThing launches. First, I reseated both of my RAM sticks and the issue persisted. Then, I went into safe mode and the issue stopped happening. I disabled Steam which...
  10. Could not connect to the Steam network [Fixed]

in Windows 10 News
    Could not connect to the Steam network [Fixed]: [ATTACH]The Steam connection error is one of the frustrating things experienced by Steam users that have jostled them to the verge of abandoning the service. This fault pops on the screen with a note reading, ‘Could not connect to the Steam network’. In this article, we are...