Windows 10: Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

Discus and support Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Alex Phillips1, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue.

:)

Alex Phillips1, Aug 24, 2023
  2. Liphip Win User

Windows (File) Explorer not responding when opening folders.

Hello,

recently (last few days) I've been having problems with the windows (file) explorer:

1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons (only the icon for generic files is being displayed).

2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops responding. Sometimes it responds after some time (over a minute), but most times it just doesn't respond until close the window, at which point the whole explorer (including taskbar) restarts, or restart it from the taskmgr.

I've already tried the following steps:

1. I reduced the pagefile size to initial 16GB and max 512GB although the previous setting was set long before the problems arose.

2. Since I first noticed this behavior with OneDrive folders it stopped the process and tired troubleshooting OneDrive.

3. I installed all Updates and new graphics drivers.

4. I removed and/or disabled any extension for the explorer (powertoys etc.).

5. I cleared the explorer history and quick access for folders.

6. Disabled search indexing and cleared the current indices.

7. I disabled the features for explorer to start new processes for each folder window as well as previews.

The folders I'm trying to open vary in size since the problem presents for all folders, drives included.

Liphip, Aug 24, 2023
  3. CuriousD Win User
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access my back up on the NAS drive, but Windows Explorer would stop responding when I tried to access the folder on my secondary hard drive on the computer. I deleted the folder and copied the folder from the NAS drive to the secondary drive, but it yielded the same problem. I renamed the folder and I am now able to access the folder.

Do these two instances suggest a problem with my hard drive or with my current state of Windows 10?

Thanks for your input.

CuriousD, Aug 24, 2023
  4. kd833 Win User

Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

kd833, Aug 24, 2023
Thema:

Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

1. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding. - Similar Threads - Opening Folders Cause

2. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  3. Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Folders Cause File Explorer To Stop Responding.: When I try to open any folder in File Explorer, it causes it to freeze and do nothing. I usually have to close it using Task Manager. This is a new issue....
  4. Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.: Hello,recently last few days I've been having problems with the windows file explorer:1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons only the icon for generic files is being displayed.2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops...
  5. Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer not responding when opening folders.: Hello,recently last few days I've been having problems with the windows file explorer:1. In the overview on the left hand side a lot of elements don't have icons only the icon for generic files is being displayed.2. Whenever I try opening a folder the explorer stops...
  6. File explorer - stops responding

File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  7. File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder

File explorer not responding when I open a specific folder: Hi, My file explore kept crashing when I try to open the download folder. No access issue with other folders, so I'm not sure what is going on. Thanks for the help....
  8. Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents: My friend recently backed up some files with Onedrive. The files that he has backed up are opening in the Onedrive itself but when he's trying to open the original files in the Documents folder, windows explorer stops responding and he has to close the folder. The same is...
  9. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  10. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file: I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified...