Windows 10: Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership

Discus and support Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I am facing somewhat bizarre problem when opening "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" folder.It does not let me change the Owner as seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vickey97, Sep 21, 2024 at 10:43 PM.

1. Vickey97 Win User

Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership

Hello,I am facing somewhat bizarre problem when opening "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" folder.It does not let me change the Owner as seen in point number 5 - greyed out. I will show you step by step with screenshots what I am clicking on and what opens up for your reference.1. When I try to open the folder, it shows me this popup stating I do not have permission to access this folder:2. Normally with other folders I can just click on Continue and it would work. But for this, it tells me to use security tab see screenshot below:3. When I click on Security Tab, this window opens

:)

2. Error: "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes" while deleteing files and folders in Windows 10

Please try the takeown.exe and icacls.exe command-line method to assign permissions.

Run:

• takeown /f "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\scans\History\Service\DetectionHistory" /a /r /d y
    • icacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\scans\History\Service\DetectionHistory" /grant %username%:F /T
    • rd /s /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\scans\History\Service\DetectionHistory"

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 21, 2024 at 10:49 PM
  3. **** IC2 Win User
    Deleting the final directories of an image in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ impossible & phantom files

I created an image file in an attempt to use the Desktop Bridge, unfortunately an impossible piece of software. It seems the creation of an image file failed, so I decided to rename the directory to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\!Images and try again.
    After that it was impossible to delete anything in !Images until I applied a registry setting which allowed me to Take ownership via Explorer. This was not an easy task either. It was not enough to take ownership on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\!Images
    directly, but I had to repeat it multiple times further down the tree and finally succeeded in deleting most of the content.

Now comes the weird part. I have only left a few folder up to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\!Images\BaseImage-14393\Files. This directory is empty but I can still not delete it (the usual you need Administrative rights, try again etc. etc.; recycling
    6 files it says). When I click once again Take ownership, it starts taking ownership of 1000's of files - which are not there. The messages are are either
    The system can not find the file specified or Success - the folder .. .(somewhere in Documents and settings most of the times) .. are now owned by user (my computername).

I can repeat that over and over but I can not delete the !Images and the remaining C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\!Images\BaseImage-14393\Files directory. They really seem empty (both from Explorer and from a DOS prompt). Then how can Take ownership see
    1000's of files and (think) it's giving me ownership to many of them? And how can I finally get rid of these directories?

4. Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership

Take Ownership

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key t+ R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Thema:

Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership

1. Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership - Similar Threads - Open ProgramDataMicrosoftWindows Defender

2. Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" by taking ownership: Hello,I am facing somewhat bizarre problem when opening "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender" folder.It does not let me change the Owner as seen in point number 5 - greyed out. I will show you step by step with screenshots what I am clicking on and what opens up for...
  3. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  4. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  5. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

6. i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings": i tried to search it up nut that was not helpful is my laptop broken?sys info: Mozilla/5.0 Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/115.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 OPR/101.0.0.0 Edition std-2Device name Epic-Flat-Box Processor AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with...
  7. i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings"

i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings": i tried to search it up nut that was not helpful is my laptop broken?sys info: Mozilla/5.0 Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/115.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 OPR/101.0.0.0 Edition std-2Device name Epic-Flat-Box Processor AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with...
  8. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  10. Issues after taking ownership of C:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after taking ownership of C:\: Hi there. I've been rather stupid and transferred ownership of C:\, including system32, to my account (the administrator and only user). While I would instantly switch it back, due to an unrelated reason I restarted my computer (Surface Pro 4). Since then I've done research...