Windows 10: Only power button works on keyboard

Discus and support Only power button works on keyboard in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Petru Coniuc, Dec 17, 2023.

1. Only power button works on keyboard

Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other keyboards connected with USB are working. Could it be that i accidentally pressed a combination of key buttons while cleaning my keyboard which led to its locking or is it physical damage?P.S.Decreasing volume to 0 highlights my special button hinting that there is no sound as it was before

:)

Petru Coniuc, Dec 17, 2023

2. Windows 10 power buttons not working.

Hi Gerry,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering
    sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.
    • Click on View all on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Power.
    • Click on Advanced on the
      Power
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.
    • Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.
    • Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.
    • Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 17, 2023
  3. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

• Open the Keyboard control panel item by typing keyboard into Start Menu.
    • Click the Hardware tab, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Change Settings button

Note: This step requires Administrator access
    • Click the Power Management tab, and then verify that the Allow this device to wake the computer is enabled.
    • Click OK, and then click OK again.

FreeBooter, Dec 17, 2023
  4. Only power button works on keyboard

power button not working

Hi paulinemountford

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep
    mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel

2. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

3. Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

4. Click on Power.

5. Click on Advanced on the Power dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

6. Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

1. Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.

2. Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.

3. Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.

4. Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on OK if prompted.

Source :
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Perla R. Independent Advisor

Perla Marino, Dec 17, 2023
Thema:

Only power button works on keyboard

1. Only power button works on keyboard - Similar Threads - power button works

2. Keyboard suddenly not working besides enter power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard suddenly not working besides enter power button: I have recently started having problems with my Nitro 5 laptop, the keyboard buttons do not work besides the power button, I have tried doing the the start up, installing the keyboard driver, even resetting my laptop, only got it to still not work. I noticed I had an update...
  3. My laptop keyboard is not working except the power button

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop keyboard is not working except the power button: I have an acer extensa 215 — 31. I already tried updating and uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver.**Move From Surface / Surface Book / Surface Book 2 / Performance and maintenance**...
  4. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  5. My keyboard ain't working but the power button does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard ain't working but the power button does: hello, I've tried troubleshooting my keyboard but it does not fix the problem. I'm having a hard time fixing it and trying to find an issue relating to this but I can't find any. I also tried looking for it on the device manager but i can't see the keyboard on it. before i...
  6. My keyboard ain't working but the power button does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard ain't working but the power button does: hello, I've tried troubleshooting my keyboard but it does not fix the problem. I'm having a hard time fixing it and trying to find an issue relating to this but I can't find any. I also tried looking for it on the device manager but i can't see the keyboard on it. before i...
  7. Keyboard power button disabling

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard power button disabling: I need a clarification:My desktop's mechanical keyboard has the classic dangerous "power" button, which after X PCs the last 35 years I pressed for the 1st time in my life accidentally 2 times the last days, resulting in annoyance the 1st time and work loss the 2nd. Trying to...
  8. Keyboard, mouse, screen and power button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard, mouse, screen and power button not working: I had my windows 10 dell laptop repaired 3 weeks ago and everything was working perfectly whole laptop was reset and today the keyboard stopped working, the screen froze, the mouse froze and when i tried to turn it off, the power button done nothing forcing me to have to wait...
  9. PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

in Windows 10 Support
    PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?): My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We didn't. I built her a new PC with a mix of older, but still good hardware. *Thumbs So far so good but I have hit a snag....
  10. Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working: I was on my computer playing a game, up until my keyboard stopped working. Then my power button wouldn't work even if I held it down for more than 30 seconds. Then my screen just froze. I can't do anything and I'm waiting for my computer to run out of battery. This is the...