Windows 10: OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

Discus and support OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Niklas1234567, Jan 4, 2024.

1. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about permission issues on shortcuts, but I doubt it is permission issue as I am the only one using the computers and I have personally created the shortcuts by dragging with right-mouse and chose to create shortcut to the folder inside my OneDrive folders. Is there any exclusion or inclusion list I can edit to get them to

:)

Niklas1234567, Jan 4, 2024

2. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts (and shortcuts within folders) with .lnk extensions
    will not sync with OneDrive. I currently have 11 sync issues in OneDrive, all with .lnk extensions. How do I choose to ignore those file types in OneDrive? A previous answer in the MS Community, created Dec 29, 2018 (now closed for comments), says to delete
    those types of files. However, deleting desktop shortcuts (and folder shortcuts) to these programs in order to stop OneDrive sync issues makes my work more difficult, and logically does not make sense. So, is there a way in OneDrive to ignore specific file
    types or specific shortcuts, or do I need to delete all my shortcuts in order to stop sync issues in OneDrive? Thank you.

Bill_in_GA, Jan 4, 2024
  3. OneDrive is missing from my list of folders that can be indexed

I don't think that's the issue.

The OneDrive folder on my computer seems properly synced with OneDrive online. The problem is that when I look at what folders are being indexed to optimize searches, OneDrive is missing.

When I try to add OneDrive to my list of indexed folders, it's nowhere to be found on the list of folders to index.

SteveMuzik, Jan 4, 2024
  4. Enegmon Win User

OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

Sync folder using links with onedrive.

Hi everyone. I need to find a way to sync a folder in my pc with onedrive without actually saving the files inside the onedrive folder. The reason is that the folder must be able to be accessed from Linux, so after booting back in Windows the files added get synced. Onedrive uses a custom reparse point tag for its folder, so Linux won't natively work with it, and workarounds are all complex and not reliable (as Microsoft is not supporting onedrive in Linux in any way).

I had seen you could simply use a directory junction, or by Microsoft, a directory symbolic link, (as per How to link a folder to oneDrive without moving the folder to the oneDrive folder in windows 10 ) But for both, I have the same issue: the contents only sync when I close and reopen onedrive, or force a rescan by renaming a file in the onedrive root. Also, the contents inside the linked folder inside onedrive stay forever with the "syncing" notice. According to Can't synchronize OneDrive files and folders from a local file location other than the default OneDrive path - Microsoft Support I can only place the target inside the onedrive folder, but this is EXACTLY what I don't want to do (as I can't save into that from Linux, as the link points to the onedrive folder which can't be accessed).

Is there any way of making this happen? A hardlink would be the answer but those are supported for files only. Or some other way?

Enegmon, Jan 4, 2024
Thema:

OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

1. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing - Similar Threads - OneDrive sync lnk

2. OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder: Hello,I have a question, I actually use 2 computers, with my Documents folder synced with OneDrive, all works, it's perfect.But, I have in my Documents, a folder with save file from a game that I play on the 2 computers, and I cant change save directory.It is possible to...
  3. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  4. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing: I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about...
  5. Sync folder using links with onedrive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync folder using links with onedrive.: Hi everyone. I need to find a way to sync a folder in my pc with onedrive without actually saving the files inside the onedrive folder. The reason is that the folder must be able to be accessed from Linux, so after booting back in Windows the files added get synced. Onedrive...
  6. Sync folder using links with onedrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync folder using links with onedrive.: Hi everyone. I need to find a way to sync a folder in my pc with onedrive without actually saving the files inside the onedrive folder. The reason is that the folder must be able to be accessed from Linux, so after booting back in Windows the files added get synced. Onedrive...
  7. Sync folder using links with onedrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  9. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  10. Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive: How do I add a folder to my desktop without having OneDrive attempt to sync it? I wanted to move a large file and for ease of access wanted to place it on the desktop. I don't want OneDrive to upload all 6GB of it. What I tried: I created a "Local" folder on Desktop. I...