Windows 10: Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC?

Discus and support Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC?Bought a retail license from a computer store. What are the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KBG_015, Sep 7, 2021.

1. KBG_015 Win User

Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC?

Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC?Bought a retail license from a computer store. What are the steps needed to unlink/unregister the license from the old broken down PC and reinstall to the new one? The old PC won't power on anymore.

:)

KBG_015, Sep 7, 2021
  2. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Sep 7, 2021
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Sep 7, 2021
  4. GaryGo Win User

Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC?

Installing Win 10 Pro on new HD (original PC) keeps asking for product key

In 2013, I installed Windows 8 Pro with a valid product key. That was upgraded to Windows 8.1, and that was upgraded to Windows 10.

My hard drive crashed and I am reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from a USB drive created with the Media Creation Tool. When asked to save files, I chose to perform a new install, since the hard driver was empty.

Now it asks for a product key. I have a key for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but I do not have a product key for Windows 10.

The installer won't the installer accept the old 8/8.1 keys.

How can I reinstall Windows 10 Pro on this PC without buying a new license?

Thanks.

GaryGo, Sep 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Old PC with Windows 10 Pro broke down, can I reinstall the same product key to a new PC? - Similar Threads - Old Pro broke

2. Can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro with old and same Product Key on the same laptop? I tried to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro with old and same Product Key on the same laptop? I tried to...: Please provide me solution to reinstall windows 11 Pro with same and old Product Key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-reinstall-windows-11-pro-with-old-and-same/70b34e09-aa08-446a-bf94-ad9751b47b8a
  3. Can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro with old and same Product Key on the same laptop? I tried to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro with old and same Product Key on the same laptop? I tried to...: Please provide me solution to reinstall windows 11 Pro with same and old Product Key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-reinstall-windows-11-pro-with-old-and-same/70b34e09-aa08-446a-bf94-ad9751b47b8a
  4. I want to reinstall the same windows 10 keys for my new computer because the old one was broke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to reinstall the same windows 10 keys for my new computer because the old one was broke: I have windows 10 keys it’s a FPP version. I just brought a new computer and I wanna know how can I use my keys to activate windows. And I can’t access my old computer because it’s already broke....
  5. I want to reinstall the same windows 10 keys for my new computer because the old one was broke

I want to reinstall the same windows 10 keys for my new computer because the old one was broke: I have windows 10 keys it’s a FPP version. I just brought a new computer and I wanna know how can I use my keys to activate windows. And I can’t access my old computer because it’s already broke....
  6. I want to reinstall the same windows 10 keys for my new computer because the old one was broke

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can I reuse the same Windows 10 Pro key on the same PC, after reinstalling windows and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reuse the same Windows 10 Pro key on the same PC, after reinstalling windows and...: Hi MS team, hope you are doing great!As the title says, basically! The product key was bought from a reseller store and worked just fine.Now I have to change my hard drive with a new ssd and I'm gonna reinstall windows 10 pro again downloading the last ISO release from here....
  8. Can I reuse the same Windows 10 Pro key on the same PC, after reinstalling windows and...

Can I reuse the same Windows 10 Pro key on the same PC, after reinstalling windows and...: Hi MS team, hope you are doing great!As the title says, basically! The product key was bought from a reseller store and worked just fine.Now I have to change my hard drive with a new ssd and I'm gonna reinstall windows 10 pro again downloading the last ISO release from here....
  9. Can I reuse the same Windows 10 Pro key on the same PC, after reinstalling windows and...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. Can i use the same product key in the same pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i use the same product key in the same pc?: Hello so I need to redownload windows beacause of some problem now im wondering if i can use the same product key for the same laptop and i already have my bootable media....