Windows 10: Old game installs but will not launch?

Discus and support Old game installs but will not launch? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have an old game that I installed with a external disk drive, Aoe3. When I first installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hermonymus, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Old game installs but will not launch?

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have an old game that I installed with a external disk drive, Aoe3. When I first installed it it installed perfectly fine and the game launched. In the meantime I ordered the expansions. Before they arrived my computer automatically updated a couple of times. When I tried to install the expansions they "installed" perfectly fine and we're added to the programs on my computer. However, no shortcut was created like normal and neither expansion launched. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled age of Empires 3 and it also does the same

:)

Hermonymus, Sep 9, 2023

2. Launching games

Hi Wesley,

Windows 10 is gamer-friendly by design. If an issue like being unable to launch a game happens, it can be caused by outdated display driver or other factors that cause conflict when launching the app. For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask for additional
    information. Please answer the following:

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you getting an error message when launching the game?
    • Have you made any changes to the settings or installed updates prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • What specific games are you having issues with?

We will wait for your response.

Jennifer Cha, Sep 9, 2023
  3. Unable to launch installed games on windows 10

Hi,

We really appreciate your effort for trying all possible troubleshooting steps.

We need few information for better understanding,

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• When you launch other games are they working fine?

• Are you facing any other performance issue on your device?

• Did you made any recent changes prior to the issue?

• Did you install the game from Windows store or any other online website or DVD?

We request you to install and update all the drivers on your computer,

Redirecting

If the issue still persists we suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the game and check,

1. On the Start menu, select Settings.

2. Select System > Apps & features.

3. Select the program, then select Uninstall.

4. Follow the directions on the screen.

Re-install the game and check if it helps.

If that issue still persist, the issue could be due to the game is not compatible with Windows 10. We request you to contact the game developer.

Hope this information helps. Get back to us if you have any more queries on windows.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Sep 9, 2023
  4. Old game installs but will not launch?

Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Sep 9, 2023
Thema:

Old game installs but will not launch?

1. Old game installs but will not launch? - Similar Threads - Old game installs

2. Old game won't launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game won't launch: I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Windows 10. I changed the compatibility mode to the recommended settings Windows XP Server Pack 3 and selected Run As Administrator, but it just says "Do you want to allow this application to make changes to your...
  3. Old game won't launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old game won't launch: I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Windows 10. I changed the compatibility mode to the recommended settings Windows XP Server Pack 3 and selected Run As Administrator, but it just says "Do you want to allow this application to make changes to your...
  4. Old game installs but will not launch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game installs but will not launch?: I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have an old game that I installed with a external disk drive, Aoe3. When I first installed it it installed perfectly fine and the game launched. In the meantime I ordered the expansions. Before they arrived my...
  5. Game not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game not launching: Hey so I have this old csgo which is csgo 2013 which is a cracked versionAnd I have trouble running it on my new laptopThe new laptop is on windows 11And for some reason it doesn't runI thought it needs dx9 so I downloaded it from Microsoft and installed it But it still...
  6. Install old PC games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install old PC games: Hi there, I just wanna to install old PC games on Win10 OS. But CD plater does not run, setting was display CD icon and drivers were going well. CD player light on and run but no signal few seconds turn off and eject. Start doesn't work, setup too. I tried on property and...
  7. installing an old game CD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installing an old game CD: I have an older game CD that I would like to install on my computer that has windows 10. I insert the disk and click install when the options screen comes up but it will not install?? Any help is appreciated. It works fine on other computers....
  8. Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain old Steam games CTD immediately on launch: For whatever reason, some of my old Steam games refuse to run. Currently this counts Bioshock Infinite Tomb Raider (2013) Deus Ex: Human Revolution All of them start to run and then immediately stop and disappear from memory. Tomb Raider loads its launcher, but it's the...
  9. Failure to launch old game on W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to launch old game on W10: I recently bought a game I enjoyed playing many moons ago: Football Manager 2007. After installing it, I was unable to launch it. First, it said I needed to log in with administrator privileges and try again - which was weird because I was already working as an admin. After...
  10. Launching Games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Launching Games?: So I was just wondering which is better, launching the games via shortcut (afterinstall) or launching the game in your graphic card driver (radeon setting, nvidia setting, etc.) also does this have any effect on perfomance, quality, etc. please enlighten us? 92321