Windows 10: Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?

Discus and support Noise gate on global output, how to remove it? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm working in an older computer, Windows 7, there seems to be a global noise gate applied to the entire audio output of the system, and I have way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Snoopee, Sep 18, 2024 at 11:02 PM.

1. Snoopee Win User

Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?

I'm working in an older computer, Windows 7, there seems to be a global noise gate applied to the entire audio output of the system, and I have way to turn it off. I've gone to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound> Soundand have removed all enhancements I could found on every playback device. The two devices that does not have the "Not plugged in" status are the NVIDIA High Defition Audio Device Labled MStar Demo-4, and High Definition Audio Device labeled Digitral Aduio S/PDIF. Playing the same audio on another device eliminates the possibility that it is the audio source. Is there anyway

:)

2. Bree Win User

Software to separate noise from the human voice or song

For audio, you could try Audacity. You can select a sample period where there is just the noise you want to remove, then filter that from the audio.

Noise Reduction - Audacity Manual

3. [Windows 10] Bluetooth speakers FIX - Audio cuts, "noise gate"

Hi guys/gals

I´ve been crazy about this issue where your bluetooth speakers starts cutting the sound at low volumes or when you have certain sounds played (like rain sounds or something that sounds close to static noise) and took a whole day investigating this.

To make this history short:

What could be the causes?:

• It could be a Microsoft thing but it is a combination of hardware (speakers) and software (the OS). I didn´t have this problem while testing using android phones.
    • The hardware (in this case bluetooth speakers) have some kind of battery preservation circuit where if they detect low volume "noise" (could be rain sound, wind, etc) it shuts off the audio to conserve power. That is called "noise gate", it
      prevents noise when you are "not using" the speakers (if you are a guitar player, you already know this term).

How do I fix this?:

• So, the thing here is that you cannot apply a clean fix for this. And with clean, I mean a microsoft patch, new driver or something like that.
    • What you need to do is to send a "keep alive" noise constantly to the speakers to force them to shut off the noise gate and let all sounds ring. The good news is that a low level sound is good enough to do this and you wont notice its there because you
      can´t hear it. The bad news is that you will need to have a minimal sound player on the background (invisible) playing this sound in an infinite loop causing around %1 cpu processing all the time, this should be nothing for modern PC´s but I want to let you
      know "what is happening under the hood".

STEPS:

1. Download the zip file from my onedrive: here
    2. Extract to folder "BT SPEAKER FIX" (it creates this automatically when unziping)
    3. Double click "INSTALL.BAT"
    4. Restart the PC.

What is this mysterious file?:

• The zip file contains a mini command line audio player called Sounder (all rights to the dev of the app)
    • A 20hz .wav sound file
    • 3 Batch files made by me:
    start.bat (this will start playing the 20hz sound file on every reboot automatically on an endless loop)

INSTALL.BAT (this will create a folder called "FIX BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS" on your user profile folder and move all files there and also will copy start.bat to the startup folder in windows for automatic start on every
    reboot (to see this do WIN + R and type shell:startup and hit enter)

UNINSTALL.BAT (this will stop the sounder process and delete start.bat from the startup folder so it doesn´t start next reboot)

If you want to completely delete all files you have to manually delete the "FIX BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS" folder in your user profile folder (usually C:\users\YOURUSERNAME) just make sure to execute "UNINSTALL.BAT" first so it deletes the automatic startup before
    deleting the whole folder.

If it works then congrats!! your problem was like mine and it should be "fixed"If it doesn´t then check the usual troubleshooting, make sure the BT devices have good signal, reinstall drivers, etc... your problem is different than mine Noise gate on global output, how to remove it? :(

Have a nice one everybody!

4. Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?

Noise/hiss produced by Windows(?) on the audio output (not a hardware issue)

In case you haven't already, ensure all inputs have been disabled and are not part of the mix you are recording. Just because you are recording what is being sent to the DAC, doesn't mean Windows hasn't already mixed in some electrical noise on an input. In fact, I would disable the input completely and lower the recording volume on the mix to zero.

To determine if the issue is hardware or driver related, I would install a different OS on a temporary drive, or boot from a USB key (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows).

If the problem goes away then it is a driver issue and you may have a chance of fixing it by manually installing an different driver version, or even a generic one if it exists. There is still a small possibility that it's a hardware bug uncovered by a driver-specific feature.

If the problem persists then it's quite likely a hardware bug. I would still check where in the boot process the noise starts (power on, after hardware init and POST, during OS bootup, after the first OS sound plays, after application start). If it's after the OS starts then you may have some luck with drivers. If it's before OS startup, then there is likely not much you can do, save for a firmware update.

Good luck!

Update 1

I have recreated your results using the following steps:

• Record the speaker output using WASAPI
    • Export the file to a WAV file
    • Open the saved file
    • Amplify +50db

The result is a significant amount of noise and the spectrum analysis has the same shape as yours.

I have also recreated the result using these steps:

• Generate 30s of silence in Audacity
    • Export the file to a WAV file
    • Open the saved file
    • Amplify +50db

Conclusion: The sound you see is generated by the algorithm that saves the file. The sound you hear is generated elsewhere, probably typical line noise.

As proof, try recording your speaker output and before saving apply amplification. If you are using the latest Audacity you will get a value overflow error b/c it can't handle amplifying complete silence. If you have at least one non-zero value in the selection, the amplification works.

Update 2

Further proof: Try saving your recording as 64 bit raw data, and then importing it again. For me this results in a file with no noise, that cannot be amplified again.

Thema:

Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?

1. Noise gate on global output, how to remove it? - Similar Threads - Noise gate global

2. Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Noise gate on global output, how to remove it?: I'm working in an older computer, Windows 7, there seems to be a global noise gate applied to the entire audio output of the system, and I have way to turn it off. I've gone to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound> Soundand have removed all enhancements I could found on every...
  3. How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?: I have gone thru every way of hitting "Apply to all Folders" after carefully removing the Type column. It is utter, useless, wasted space. A relic of Mac marketing, when they used to make fun of Dos/Windows for having...gasp...file extensions!First thing I do on any machine....
  4. How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove File Type column in Windows Explorer **GLOBALLY**?: I have gone thru every way of hitting "Apply to all Folders" after carefully removing the Type column. It is utter, useless, wasted space. A relic of Mac marketing, when they used to make fun of Dos/Windows for having...gasp...file extensions!First thing I do on any machine....
  5. Microphone outputs TV static noise and not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone outputs TV static noise and not functioning properly: Okay I know this is a million years old question, pardon and bear with me please. My brother's quite old lappy, Acer Aspire F15 is having a microphone issue. I noticed the microphone driver was missing and Windows does not automatically install it back don't know what was the...
  6. Any such thing as a noise gate that I can setup for my microphone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any such thing as a noise gate that I can setup for my microphone?: Hey guys, I do gaming with my friends from the Xbox console companion app, however they tend to get annoyed because my keyboard switch sounds tend to cut right through into the mix and I was wondering if there was such thing as setting up an overally noise gate through the...
  7. [Windows 10] Bluetooth speakers FIX - Audio cuts, "noise gate"

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Windows 10] Bluetooth speakers FIX - Audio cuts, "noise gate": Hi guys/gals I´ve been crazy about this issue where your bluetooth speakers starts cutting the sound at low volumes or when you have certain sounds played like rain sounds or something that sounds close to static noise and took a whole day investigating this. To make...
  8. How to turn off Microsoft noise gate

How to turn off Microsoft noise gate: Hi, I have a headset that I use on my computer and every time I try and use it on my computer it adds really heavy noise suppression. This effect is completely independent to the Enhancements I can add in the sounds menu. The only way I can seem to bypass it is by downloading...
  9. gate way

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    gate way: some time now and then my Wifi just drop the connection and i us the troubleshoot problem is all way come up whit The default gateway https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gate-way/40e7f605-e4b0-4c9a-8cd6-979cdbb38ad4
  10. how to remove the save print output as

how to remove the save print output as: The save print output as appears every time I try to print shipping labels . Every document I saved as all the options avaialable and did not allow me to print. I already removed the printer, uninstalled it and reinstalled it but the problem is still there. The printers...