Windows 10: Network devices not visible

Discus and support Network devices not visible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've searched the internet over and taken heed of all advice given, implemented most of the most common fixes and I can't find a solution. I have 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ripperT, Dec 17, 2020.

1. ripperT Win User

Network devices not visible

I've searched the internet over and taken heed of all advice given, implemented most of the most common fixes and I can't find a solution.

I have 2 desktops, a laptop all Win 10 with latest updates AFAIK, a Buffalo NAS box and an HP laser printer on my home network. The laptop and printer are Wi-Fi, the others wired. My issue is that on one desktop called LAB, certain of the network devices only intermittently and randomly show up in the Network explorer window, depending on God knows what. LAB and the printer are always visible. The other desktop, laptop and NAS box disappear. They'll be visible one day and gone for the next 2 days to a week, then magically reappear after I've pulled my hair out.

Understand that I have no connection issues; all machines can print, all mapped drives remain connected, all machines can see all other devices, except LAB.

What governs this erratic behavior? Rebooting LAB and the router does not fix it.

The strangest explanation I found was that it's an erratic signal from my ISP, but if that's true, it seems like all machines would be affected.

I'm stumped. Any one else experience this?

Thanks,

Rip

:)

ripperT, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

How do i ensure my devices on our home network are not visible to others' devices on the same network?

Hello Kathy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

You can turn off the network discovery so that your computer won’t be visible with other network computers.

Follow the below steps to turn off the network discovery.

• Type Network and sharing center in the search bar and press enter

• Click on change advanced sharing options

• Check Turn off Network discovery

• And click apply
    Hope this information is helpful. Please reply in case you have any further issues. I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Dec 17, 2020
  3. bloggsy Win User
    Wifi no longer visible to some but not all devices...

Hi folks

my pc - windows 10 - my home wifi network visible and connects fine
    my work pc - windows 10 - my home wifi network visible and connects fine
    girlfriends pc - windows 10 - my home wifi network is not visible from the wifi list so cannot connect to my home wifi network
    girlfriends phone - android - my home wifi network visible and connects fine
    my phone - android - my home wifi network is not visible from the wifi list so cannot connect to my home wifi network

all of the above were working fine with visibility to my home network until about 2 days ago... just to be clear this is one single network...

any ideas on the likely cause and solution would be appreciated...

bloggsy, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Carnivore Win User

What is this network device?

I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here (a Blu brand phone which is unusual enough that I would know about it).

I clicked on the device and was able to view the MAC address, but nothing else useful. A couple minutes later it disappeared from the network list.

Then a few minutes later I went and looked at another PC on the same home network and saw the same phone in its Network list. It also disappeared a couple minutes after I clicked open 'Network'.

Scanned both PCs with various anti-malware programs including Malwarebytes - they look clean.

Any suggestions on what I was seeing, and if it's malicious how to deal with it?

UPDATE: It popped back up again. I checked my router's connection list and don't see it there. For now I blocked the MAC address in my router but would still like to know where this is coming from.

Carnivore, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Network devices not visible - Similar Threads - Network devices visible

2. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  3. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  4. USB Devices Not Visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Devices Not Visible: I have a Dell Laptop XPS13 9370 running Windows 11 attached to a Dell Docking Station Thunderbolt WD19TB. This was acquired in 2019 with Windows 10. In late 2021, USB devices plugged into the USB ports on the docking station ceased to be visible on the laptop. [The...
  5. Network visibility

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network visibility: Just got a new modem and my W10 won't see it but does see some others. What can I do? I have rebooted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-visibility/c79d97d3-c6c8-4348-b742-5feced4ce874
  6. 5ghz networks not visible

5ghz networks not visible: So a while back i was able to connect and use 5ghz networks but after a update i think i couldn't see or connect to 5ghz networks. I did so research to see if anyone else had the same problem but no it was just me. I also came across something saying that you need a '802.11n'...
  7. Windows 10 PRO network device not visible

Windows 10 PRO network device not visible: Hello, Now we have a problem with one Lenovo NTB. Operation system win 10 PRO update 1909. This NTB is not able to "view" the other computer in network. But on other it function correctly. Each other view this NTB. If I try to use IP or computer name I want to open this...
  8. Wireless Network not visible

Wireless Network not visible: Hello, I have searched the community site and have not found this problem elsewhere. I work in an office with several people. For whatever reason, I cannot see the corporate wireless network in my list of available networks. This morning I was sitting in a conference...
  9. Computer 1 visible to network but network not visible to Computer 1

Computer 1 visible to network but network not visible to Computer 1: I have a simple home network with multiple devices connected to it. On the network I have have several external hard drives connected thru my ASUS router. These hard drives are visible to all computers on the network with the exception of a laptop running Windows 10. All...
  10. printer visibility on network

printer visibility on network: this is a problem which has just cropped up after years of no problem. hp4630 printer connected to network acer aspire laptop connected to network but when i try to print, the laptop thinks the printer is "offline". even though it's not. please advise. thank you....