Windows 10: Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

Discus and support Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm running windows 11 pro on both desktop and laptop. I have a new laptop and I have added it to my local network, set up the share and all worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LCEvents, Sep 14, 2023.

1. LCEvents Win User

Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

I'm running windows 11 pro on both desktop and laptop. I have a new laptop and I have added it to my local network, set up the share and all worked fine with bidirectional read/write between each device. Then one day, probably after an update, I was no longer able to access the share from desktop to laptop. I can see the laptop in my desktop network folder but when I try to access the laptop from the desktop it asks me to sign in and keeps giving me a "The username or password is incorrect" error. I've tried using just the username, I've tried \\devicename\username . I've even renamed bot

:)

LCEvents, Sep 14, 2023

2. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Sep 14, 2023
  3. Network credentials work from phone but not laptop

Hello TerryReagan,

Thank you for providing us with this information.

The following are the suggested methods to troubleshoot Network Credential issues:

METHOD 1: Clear Credentials from Windows Credential Manager

Windows Credential Manager is where Windows username and password are stored including network credentials, websites, and apps.

1. In your Windows 11 laptop, go to Windows Search box.
    2. Type "Credential Manager" and hit Enter.
    3. Click on "Windows Credentials".
    4. Look for your desktop name and remove credentials.
    5. Restart and check if you can now access your desktop.
    METHOD 2: Add the credentials in Credentials Manager

If the above step did not work or your desktop credential is not listed, you can try adding it manually.

1. Go to Windows Search box.
    2. Type "Credential Manager" and hit Enter.
    3. Click on Windows Credentials > Add Windows Credentials.
    4. Enter the username and password of the computer that you want to access.
    5. Click OK and restart your computer.
    6. Check if you can now login.
    METHOD 3: Disable Credential Manager Service automatic Startup

1. On your keyboard, press Windows key + R.
    2. In the Run dialog box, type services.msc.
    3. Scroll and locate the Credential Manager service.
    4. In the properties window, click the drop-down on the Startup type and select Disabled.
    5. Click Apply > OK to save changes.
    6. Restart your computer and check if you can now login.
    METHOD 4: Set IP address to automatic

1. On your keyboard, press Windows key + R.
    2. In the Run dialog box, type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter.
    3. Right-click on the network connection you are using and click on Properties.
    4. Double-click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option to edit properties.
    5. Click General tab, make sure the radio button is set to Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    METHOD 5: Change Network Profile to Private

1. Go to Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Click your network adapter.
    2. Under Network profile, if Public is selected, change it to Private.
    3. Restart your computer and check if you can now login.
    Also, make sure both devices are connected to the same network.

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Best regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator

Mara May M, Sep 14, 2023
  4. Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

Windows 10 not accepting Microsoft Account as Network Credentials

Help, please?

I have three computers on my home network, all with Windows 10. They all could access each other's files through the network after entering my Microsoft Account as Network Credentials.

I replaced the hard drive in my laptop and installed Windows 10 again. Now it cannot access the other two computers, nor can they access the laptop. When I enter my Microsoft Account info in Network Credentials, it says "The user name or password is incorrect".

What I have done:

1. Double-checked that I am using the correct password with my Microsoft Account.
    2. Rebooted router.
    3. Connected laptop to network with a network cable.
    4. Tried everything mentioned on Fix Enter network credentials error on Windows 11/10, on the laptop and my main desktop without success.
    5. Created a local account on the laptop with a username & password, and I am able to access the files on the laptop from the desktop using that username & password as network credentials, but using my Microsoft Account as network credentials still will not work.
    None of my computers can be updated to Windows 11, so please don't suggest that.

Bruce A. Johnson, Sep 14, 2023
Thema:

Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

1. Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop - Similar Threads - Network credentials error

2. Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network credentials error when trying to connect desktop to laptop: I'm running windows 11 pro on both desktop and laptop. I have a new laptop and I have added it to my local network, set up the share and all worked fine with bidirectional read/write between each device. Then one day, probably after an update, I was no longer able to access...
  3. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer: Hi guys, this is my current setup.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5bf664c3?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH_SmcI have a printer Okidata Microline 420 connect to a computer and it's being shared throughout the network. I...
  4. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer: Hi guys, this is my current setup.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5bf664c3?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH_SmcI have a printer Okidata Microline 420 connect to a computer and it's being shared throughout the network. I...
  5. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???

in Windows 10 Customization
    When trying to access remote desktop it asks for credentials ???: I have setup a new computer in my network. ALL other comcuters in the network CAN access each others remote desktop WITHOUT asking for credentials. What do I mis at the new computer to access WITHOUT it asking for credentials ?...
  7. Error: unable to connect to this network when trying to connect to WIFI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: unable to connect to this network when trying to connect to WIFI: I am trying to connect to my home internet from Windows 10. This is what is still happening: 1 I am going to put my password to log into my wifi, where it says "verify and connect", and then it tells me that my password is wrong which is not the case, since I have tried more...
  8. Error: Can't connect to this network, when trying to connect to WIFI

Error: Can't connect to this network, when trying to connect to WIFI: I am trying to connect to my home internet from Windows 10. Here’s what keeps happening: 1. I go to put in my password to log onto my wifi, in which it says “verifying and connecting”, and then telling me that my password is incorrect which it isn’t, since ive tried this...
  9. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  10. NETWORK CONNECTION NEEDS NETWORK CREDENTIAL

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NETWORK CONNECTION NEEDS NETWORK CREDENTIAL: Hi, I actually having this problem: I am trying to connect to the other computer printer, but windows 10 has no homegroup. Another problem is that when i try to click computer1 in network it pop out a box "ENTER YOUR CREDENTIAL TO CONNECT TO...