Windows 10: need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

Discus and support need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; replaced hd in a old laptop- used the same install w10 pro dvd. won't let me activate it. its a THX TruStudio PRO laptop if that helps. My son used it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CharlesBiddle, Jun 12, 2024.

1. need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

replaced hd in a old laptop- used the same install w10 pro dvd. won't let me activate it. its a THX TruStudio PRO laptop if that helps. My son used it for work for years with no issues

:)

CharlesBiddle, Jun 12, 2024
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Old hard drive in new computer, Windows is not happy!

Hi Edwin,

If you want to swap hard drives and have the old hard drive activate on that laptop:

The old and new laptop must be running the same Edition (Home, Pro . . . etc.) of Windows 10

The Windows 10 on the new laptop must be activated whilst on the Internet

You must remove the product key from the old hard drive when you connect it to the new laptop:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator

Run this command and hit Enter:

slmgr /upk

Close Command Prompt

Then when the new laptop is on the Internet it should activate automatically!

DaveM121, Jun 12, 2024
  3. New Hard Drive

I bought a new Dell laptop. I took the SSD drive from my old laptop and put it in my new laptop. On my old laptop, my Win 10 Pro version was ok, Activated, all was well. After installing the old SSD to the new Laptop, all is ok EXCEPT I noted that Windows
    is not Activated and I can't seem to activate it. I entered the product key that I recorded, but activation fails. The new laptop hard drive is installed in my old laptop. How can I resolve the new laptop, old hard drive and activation?

GeorgeGold_39, Jun 12, 2024
  4. Jnew- Win User

need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

Windows 10 Pro Activation Key

I have lost access to Windows activation key following motherboard failure. Due to age of laptop, I have replaced it and now wish to upgrade Windows Home to Pro on the new one.

The activation Key does not appear to be linked to my microsoft account although the old laptop is still in list of devices and confirms professional version of Windows had been in use. The hard drive from old laptop is functional and i wonder if there
    is any way of retrieving key from files.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jnew-, Jun 12, 2024
Thema:

need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

1. need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it. - Similar Threads - need activate pro

2. need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.: replaced hd in a old laptop- used the same install w10 pro dvd. won't let me activate it. its a THX TruStudio PRO laptop if that helps. My son used it for work for years with no issues...
  3. need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need to activate windows 10 pro on old laptop with a new hard drive in it.: replaced hd in a old laptop- used the same install w10 pro dvd. won't let me activate it. its a THX TruStudio PRO laptop if that helps. My son used it for work for years with no issues...
  4. Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive

Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive: I installed a new hard drive. Now my windows 10 Home will not activate. According to my old drive "Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." With the new Hard Drive I get the following message: "We found a Windows 10 digital...
  5. Activating 10 pro on a new laptop

Activating 10 pro on a new laptop: I have windows 10 pro on my old laptop and a digital key. When activating on my new laptop it only gives me 10 home. Please advise how I can fix this? Thanks,...
  6. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  7. New system old hard drive?

New system old hard drive?: Hi, I'm building a new system soon, but I have a question. I just have this hard drive with Windows on it and keep the old drivers and everything. How can I avoid a new installation of Windows now? Can I just uninstall all the old drivers and integrate them into the new...
  8. Windows 10 pro activation on a new laptop

Windows 10 pro activation on a new laptop: Hello I am helping an uncle of mine to set up his brand new HP Laptop he bought for over £400, which came with Windows 10 Pro - but the system is asking for activation or Product key. Where can I find the windows activation key or product key? Regards...
  9. Activate Windows 10 Pro on new laptop after losing my old laptop

Activate Windows 10 Pro on new laptop after losing my old laptop: I had an Acer Laptop previously, which I had purchased the $99 upgrade to windows 10 Pro from the microsoft store app on. This laptop was stolen from me at a train station about a month and a half ago, so now that money is down the drain unless I can get that activation on my...
  10. Activating Windows 10 Pro on new laptop

Activating Windows 10 Pro on new laptop: Hello, in May 2017 I've bought an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. Now I'd like to apply that upgrade to my new laptop, but I can't find a way. Could you please help me? Thanks, Francesco...