Windows 10: My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...

Discus and support My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, community!I use Windows for document work and browsing, and Ubuntu for development. Recently, I performed a Windows update, specifically the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Shabeeb PK, Oct 25, 2024 at 1:17 PM.

1. My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...

Hello, community!I use Windows for document work and browsing, and Ubuntu for development. Recently, I performed a Windows update, specifically the "2024-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5044285." After this update, I noticed that my boot menu no longer shows the option to select Ubuntu, and it automatically boots into Windows.When I checked Disk Management, I found that my Ubuntu partition was marked as "100% free." Without fully understanding the situation, I deleted that volume, and it now shows as unallocated space.I’m not entirely sure if the disa

:)

2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

3. zvit Win User
    Missing Bootable devices in BIOS after removing Ubuntu dual boot

Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OB build 19041.572

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH mb. My BIOS has been set to UEFI for a while now and I had no issues with it. When I needed to boot into some live cd or flash drive, I would press F12 at boot and have a list of bootable devices to choose from. I also saw all of these devices in the BIOS, where I could choose them for a boot order.

I found myself using Ubuntu quite often with the “try ubuntu” option, so last week I decided to install it as a dual boot. I used a secondary hard drive for the Ubuntu partitions (not C.) After a few days, I decided to get rid of the dual boot. I went through all the steps to delete it; deleting the ubuntu partitions, and using diskpart to get GRUB removed from the boot loader. Although after this, the computer would boot right into Windows, for some reason, the ubuntu was still listed in bcdedit /enum firmware, so I also used bcdedit /delete to delete that.

Here’s the issue that I have now:

When I press F12 to boot into a live CD (or flash drive), the only boot option is Windows. In my BIOS, in the boot order section, I can only choose Windows; there is no more list of all my drives and CD ROM to choose to boot from.

The only way to get back the list of bootable devices is if I switch the “Boot Mode Selection” from “UFEI only” to anything else, like “UEFI and LEGACY” or “LEGACY only.”

However, if I switch to anything other than “UEFI only,” the computer won’t boot into windows; I get an error saying, “Reboot and select proper boot device.”

I am 99% sure that before I did the dual boot, I had “UEFI and LEGACY” selected in the BIOS and in Windows System information, it would show that my BIOS is UEFI.

What I need now is to be able to see a list of bootable devices in my BIOS, including my CD ROM, so that I can choose to boot from a CD or flash drive when desired, and of course, that my computer should boot into Windows when I just want to boot normally.

Notes:

1. Fast boot is disabled.
    2. I read that Secure boot should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    3. I read that CSM should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    4. My C drive (SSD) is GPT, Active & System.

Any suggestions?

4. Luftan Win User

My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...

Ubuntu and several Windows partition is not detected in Windows Disk Management | Dual Booting

I have a problem regarding dual-boot installation of Ubuntu. I'm not very familiar on dual-booting but I follow several turtorial to do it. During installation of Ubuntu as dual-boot, I did not choose the option of manually partition, instead i choose the automatically partition and resize it to match the amount of unallocated storage. After installation, it works perfectly fine for both windows and ubuntu. However I found that my Ubuntu and several partition is not detected in Disk Management.

The steps for installation:

• Shrink local disk E: (HDD) for unallocated space
    • Bitlocker is disabled
    • Disabled secure boot and fast startup
    • Boot from UEFI USB Ubuntu
    • Install alongside Windows Boot Manager
    • Partition: choose the default installation instead of manually partition (Using manual partition did not detect unallocated space)
    I have 2 storage, SSD (Windows/ Disk 1) and HDD (Several Windows programs and data/ Disk 0). The HDD storage has several partition;

• Local Disk D: 510.82 GB for some applications
    • Local Disk E: 225.37 GB for data
    • Unallocated: ~195 GB
    Even though it works perfectly fine, I'm afraid it will cause issues in the near future, and i want my linux partition and windows data partition to be shown in disk management. Can you please help me on this issue. It also shows Local Disk D and E which has windows applications and data to have red x indicator in disk management.

My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent... FhERlbKsg2hG4ojanXZiUtt8eKof1mqFPIrtT9Yb2xAvtV1WTztNtCq8QcfROU5gIkznG1ke%2BhmUWqN7CrJodz96T2U%3D.png

My idea: my current solution is probably to delete volume for Local Disk D and E to delete Ubuntu and delete several data I have in windows to reinstall ubuntu back using manually partition. However a second opinion or more can be my consideration to not delete my file in windows.

Thank you for your attention

Thema:

My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...

1. My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent... - Similar Threads - Ubuntu Partition Shows

2. My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Ubuntu Partition Shows 100% Free and Boot Selection Is Missing—Could It Be Due to Recent...: Hello, community!I use Windows for document work and browsing, and Ubuntu for development. Recently, I performed a Windows update, specifically the "2024-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems KB5044285." After this update, I noticed that my...
  3. Hard drive partitions and Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions and Ubuntu: This one is a long one. So, The first OS I had installed on my 1 TB HDD was Ubuntu Linux, and I soon halved the drive to install Windows 10 on the other half. My hard drive reports as GPT, as a Linux installation should; however, the GRUB menu has gone missing I forgot how in...
  4. Missing boot partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing boot partition: 1. The workstation I use in the university consists of an SSD and a mechanical HDD. Recently the HDD failed and caused the system to not boot into windows 10. I tried installing the HDD on other devices, and subsequently those devices fail to boot as well. 2. However, the...
  5. Windows boot drive showing as Ubuntu in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boot drive showing as Ubuntu in BIOS.: My Windows boot drive isn't showing properly in BIOS after using Ubuntu. I have a 240GB SSD with Windows installed and an external 1TB HDD with Ubuntu in it. So, i restarted my pc to log into Windows again, but the SSD was showing as being an Ubuntu boot drive. From there, it...
  6. Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot

Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot: Hi, I resize and moved partition where my windows boot was. Now I am unable to boot windows. Please help. Also, I would like to know the technical details of what happens and why it does not work. Thanks a lot! submitted by /u/last_iteration [link] [comments]...
  7. merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu: after dual booting win and linıx icant merge two partittions and after this disclaimer it gives this error [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merging-partitions-after-dual-boot-ubuntu/fd74f858-cb1f-418e-8ad3-b865fa8a4f22
  8. USB not showing in boot selection

USB not showing in boot selection: I just made a macOS Catalina boot drive on a SD card using a SD to usb and a VMWare macOS High Sierra. When I open my boot selection on my pc (windows 10) it doesnt show up. Any help? submitted by /u/Joester202 [link] [comments]...
  9. Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition: I used to work on my PC which had a C Drive (partitioned with Windows and Ubuntu) alongside an E drive for other storage. I deleted the Ubuntu partition and after rebooting the system, it told me that there was a grub error - 'Error: no such partition". After looking up what...
  10. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.: I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no...