Windows 10: My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?

Discus and support My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In both Fortnite and The Finals I’m unable to join voice chat. My microphone is being picked up when I speak and I’m able to talk in discord just fine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ryan Havern, Jul 12, 2024.

1. My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?

In both Fortnite and The Finals I’m unable to join voice chat. My microphone is being picked up when I speak and I’m able to talk in discord just fine. In The Finals i enable voice chat and shortly after i get kicked. In Fortnite I click join voice chat and nothing happens. This happened after I swapped motherboards. The first game I played with this MOBO I was unable to join voice chat. All the other hardware is the same.

:)

Ryan Havern, Jul 12, 2024
  2. Tohuw Win User

Can't hear other programs' sound when using Bluetooth headsets with voice chat applications on Windows 10

This happens on both my Windows 10 systems, a late 2012 iMac and a custom-built PC using an ASRock Z170 motherboard and an Insignia Bluetooth dongle.

When using either Discord or Mumble and either Apple AirPods or a Bose QuietComfort 35 headset, I cannot hear sound from any other application unless I set the output device to the "Hands-Free Device" instead of the "Stereo Headphones" device.

The problem with that is the "Hands-Free Device" has only one sound quality option, 8 KHz, which is nowhere near the 44.1 KHz default of the "Stereo Headphones" output device. When I select the "Stereo Headphones" device the sound is great, until I open either of the mentioned voice chat applications, whereupon I can't hear anything until I close that program. Also, my mic does not work unless I re-set the communications device or default device to the hands-free option. If I set the hands-free device as the communications device, everything in the voice chat app works, but no other program has any sound.

I believe this is because the "Hands-Free" and "Stereo Headphones" devices are two separate Bluetooth services, and the Hands-Free device is activated whenever the voice chat is engaged, and remains that way until the "call" is over. I realize the "Communications" tab in the sound control panel is supposed to fix this sort of thing, but it changes nothing in this scenario.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've read the suggestions in this post, which I just discovered, and none of that works:

• Removing the Hands-Free Telephony service removes the mic.
    • Changing the "Exclusive Mode" setting on any playback or recording device does not resolve the problem. Sometimes it does temporarily, then it reverts back to the problem described above within 5 minutes or so.
    • Disabling audio enhancements does nothing.

Tohuw, Jul 12, 2024
  3. bro67 Win User
    Mic picking up audio output from headset.

Either they are playing around with you or you have a chat running, with the MIC allowing everything, no matter what. Suggest unhooking your headset when not using.

bro67, Jul 12, 2024
  4. My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?

Disconnecting from voice channels when joining voice chat or configuring settings on my headset.

Is this only happening when using voice chat in a game or in discord/Skype?

My headset won't cut out when outside of a game/voice server. It will only do it after about 3 seconds of joining the voice channel. It also does the issue when I try to configure recording/playback devices as well.

Did you make any significant changes on your computer prior to this issue?

The only change I have made is changing to a usb headset from a regular pair of headphones which a jack. The problem happened before but it sometimes worked.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers?

Yes I have tried this.

Ironicpixel, Jul 12, 2024
Thema:

My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?

1. My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat? - Similar Threads - mic headset are

2. my voice chat not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my voice chat not working: hi, I have been having an issue on my laptop and i cant really either hear calls like google meet and anything, the sound goes very low quality? like kind of cracked and i cant hear the other sounds like youtube, fortnite, and valorant. but discord works fine. I also cant...
  3. my voice chat not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my voice chat not working: hi, I have been having an issue on my laptop and i cant really either hear calls like google meet and anything, the sound goes very low quality? like kind of cracked and i cant hear the other sounds like youtube, fortnite, and valorant. but discord works fine. I also cant...
  4. My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mic and headset are working. Why can’t I join voice chat?: In both Fortnite and The Finals I’m unable to join voice chat. My microphone is being picked up when I speak and I’m able to talk in discord just fine. In The Finals i enable voice chat and shortly after i get kicked. In Fortnite I click join voice chat and nothing happens....
  5. Mic and headset function but I can’t hear how my voice sounds thru the mic

Mic and headset function but I can’t hear how my voice sounds thru the mic: I have a HyperX Solocast mic and a Razer Blackshark V2 Pro headset. Both are set up and configured as input and output, respectively. I can hear audio in the headset from iTunes and I see that there are green bars going up to indicate that my voice is going through the mic. I...
  6. Mic and headset function but I can’t hear how my voice sounds thru the mic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mic and headset function but I can’t hear how my voice sounds thru the mic: I have a HyperX Solocast mic and a Razer Blackshark V2 Pro headset. Both are set up and configured as input and output, respectively. I can hear audio in the headset from iTunes and I see that there are green bars going up to indicate that my voice is going through the mic. I...
  7. Why is my headset mic not working on my pc???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my headset mic not working on my pc???: I recently got my B550 GAMING X V2 pc about 3-4 weeks ago. Whenever I try to connect my headset to it GSP 201 the sound works fine, but my mic does not work. I am not sure how to fix it or what to do to try and fix it. Whenever I try to connect my headset to any other device...
  8. Why is my headset mic not working on my pc???

Why is my headset mic not working on my pc???: I recently got my B550 GAMING X V2 pc about 3-4 weeks ago. Whenever I try to connect my headset to it GSP 201 the sound works fine, but my mic does not work. I am not sure how to fix it or what to do to try and fix it. Whenever I try to connect my headset to any other device...
  9. Fix Dread Hunger Voice Chat or Mic is not working

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Dread Hunger Voice Chat or Mic is not working: [ATTACH]In this article, we are going to show you how you can fix the issue where Dread Hunger voice chat or mic is not working. Many users have reported that the voice chat feature of Dread Hunger is not working. Whereas, there are also reports of Mic not working problem....
  10. Voice Chat not working

Voice Chat not working: I purchased a computer earlier this year and have found problems with the party voice chat in the console companion app. I use a Razer Kraken X headset which works perfectly fine for everything Xbox, mobile, ps4, discord. For a few months, I could not speak at all in parties....