Windows 10: Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

Discus and support Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Premise: this is not my issue, but of someone who asked me.He has 2 disks: C with little free space, and D, external ssd, with 750 Gb of free space.So,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MarcoArik, Jul 7, 2024.

1. MarcoArik Win User

Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

Premise: this is not my issue, but of someone who asked me.He has 2 disks: C with little free space, and D, external ssd, with 750 Gb of free space.So, he wants to move some files from C to D, but Windows 11 doesn't allow it because "he doesn't have enough free space". Why?He tried both copy&paste and cut&paste.

:)

MarcoArik, Jul 7, 2024

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jul 7, 2024
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CMving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C? :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jul 7, 2024
  4. Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

How to Move Files (not Apps) from C to D?

I’m asking this common question because of the many different explanations on how to move data files (not apps) from C to D. Some instruct use Windows Explorer, right click Folder > Properties > Move Location; others suggest drag and drop, or copy and paste from C to D. Some say to use command scripts or registry changes, or Partitions. What is the safest way?

• Do I also need to make any changes to my Shell Folders and/or User Shell Folders too?
    • Finally, for the Folder Change Location method, some instruct to move location to D:\Documents, for example. Why wouldn’t the path be D:\users\NAME\Documents?
    Many Thanks! Michael

Michael AP, Jul 7, 2024
Thema:

Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

1. Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C? - Similar Threads - Mving files still

2. Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mving files from C to D, still asks for free space on C?: Premise: this is not my issue, but of someone who asked me.He has 2 disks: C with little free space, and D, external ssd, with 750 Gb of free space.So, he wants to move some files from C to D, but Windows 11 doesn't allow it because "he doesn't have enough free space". Why?He...
  3. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?: All my apps are on "C'. My work & reports are on the "D" drive.It has built up over time & now it locks up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-move-free-space-from-d-to-c/04427e38-7803-429f-9981-afe84a2b07ed
  4. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?: All my apps are on "C'. My work & reports are on the "D" drive.It has built up over time & now it locks up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-move-free-space-from-d-to-c/04427e38-7803-429f-9981-afe84a2b07ed
  5. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Freeing space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing space on C drive: Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110 I am trying to free up space on my C drive which is a 500Gb SSD. I install all programs to my 2Tb HD. Windirstat tells me Tom Tom the sat nav takes up 153 Gb on my C drive. So I want to uninstall it. Windows said it was uninstalling it from...
  7. Freeing up space on C:

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing up space on C:: Is there a simple app that'll show what paths on C: contain all the data? My C: is 230GB and 192GB is used. 5GB is in C:\Users\Me\AppData. Can some (what?) be safely deleted? Thanks. Using Win 10.0.19041.964 180693
  8. Freeing up space on C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeing up space on C:: Is there a simple app that'll show what paths on C: contain all the data? My C: is 230GB and 192GB is used. 5GB is in C:\Users\Me\AppData. Can some (what?) be safely deleted? Thanks. Using Win 10.0.19041.964 180693
  9. Transferring files from C: to D:?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files from C: to D:?: Hello all. I need to free up some storage on my C drive and I was wondering if it is safe to transfer files from the C to D drive. If so, what files would be good to transfer from my c to d? Program files? NVIDIA driver files? Not sure what would be safe to transfer from one...
  10. Move free space from D drive to C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move free space from D drive to C Drive: Hi, I am receiving messages saying my storage is full. Disk manager shows no free space on C drive, but 913GB free on D drive, how can I reallocate free space from D to C? Thanks...