Windows 10: most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.

Discus and support most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; so, i woke up this morning and had an issue - most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty. what?. so i went to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gary wandell, Oct 5, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

1. most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.

so, i woke up this morning and had an issue - most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty. what?. so i went to my steam and tried to create a new desktop icon for a game. error - desktop icon already exists. this makes no sense so i did a system restore to yesterday. system restore succesful, desktop icons that were still there took their original position scattered about my desktop and some of the others came back but most of the desktop is empty i'm still missing a ton of shortcuts. I also had multiple background images, the folder was saved in a de

:)

gary wandell, Oct 5, 2024 at 6:42 PM

2. Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

Redirecting

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 5, 2024 at 6:43 PM
  3. Try3 Win User
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

4. most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Thema:

most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.

1. most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty. - Similar Threads - desktop icons disappeared

2. most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty.: so, i woke up this morning and had an issue - most of my desktop icons had disappeared. i checked my desktop folder, it's empty. what?. so i went to my steam and tried to create a new desktop icon for a game. error - desktop icon already exists. this makes no sense so i did a...
  3. Why do empty folders disappear from my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do empty folders disappear from my desktop: I created a folder directly on the desktopI then created three sub folders within this folderI placed files within one of the sub folders, but let the other two sub folders emptyTwo days later, note desktop was not shut down during this time period the empty sub folders had...
  4. Why do empty folders disappear from my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do empty folders disappear from my desktop: I created a folder directly on the desktopI then created three sub folders within this folderI placed files within one of the sub folders, but let the other two sub folders emptyTwo days later, note desktop was not shut down during this time period the empty sub folders had...
  5. folder disappeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder disappeared on my desktop: a folder with photographs disappeared on my notbook computer. need to recover folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-disappeared-on-my-desktop/122af06d-6a92-4454-b1b8-23364399c368
  6. folder disappeared on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folder disappeared on my desktop: a folder with photographs disappeared on my notbook computer. need to recover folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-disappeared-on-my-desktop/122af06d-6a92-4454-b1b8-23364399c368
  7. Most of Desktop Icons disappeared and remaining rearranged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most of Desktop Icons disappeared and remaining rearranged: Ok so yesterday I was just using my computer as normal and when I was about shut it off I noticed majority of my desktop icons disappeared? It didn't happen right after I restarted my computer and my computer was relatively fine throughout the day. I installed some third...
  8. Most of Desktop Icons disappeared and remaining rearranged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most of Desktop Icons disappeared and remaining rearranged: Ok so yesterday I was just using my computer as normal and when I was about shut it off I noticed majority of my desktop icons disappeared? It didn't happen right after I restarted my computer and my computer was relatively fine throughout the day. I installed some third...
  9. I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't get rid of these empty folders on my desktop icons: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Waffles_in_a_box [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iynycg/i_cant_get_rid_of_these_empty_folders_on_my/
  10. Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop folder stuck with an "empty folder" icon: This is what I see from my user folder: the desktop is now an "empty folder" icon and I am not able to change it back to the original icon. [ATTACH] I even tried every method on this well made guide but nothing worked....