Windows 10: Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file

Discus and support Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; We were unable to download a file as Microsoft Virus & Threat scan bloked it. We created Virus execlusion policy to execlude its extension from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ali AliQS, Sep 2, 2024.

1. Ali AliQS Win User

Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file

We were unable to download a file as Microsoft Virus & Threat scan bloked it. We created Virus execlusion policy to execlude its extension from the scan and we were able to download it, but its content has been deleted.Could someone tell me how to download the exexluded files without defender deleting its content? Thanks in AdvanceAli

:)

Ali AliQS, Sep 2, 2024

2. Specific download gets instantly deleted

Hello MamsteriMagic,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community!

Thanks for the description you provided. According to your description, this is usually the case when the downloaded content is deleted by the anti-virus software. I noticed that you have tried to close Windows Defender, but as far as I know, Users of Windows 10 Home can't easily turn off Windows Defender, in order to better understand your problem, I would like to ask you the following information:

• Can you provide a way to turn off your firewall Windows Defender?
    • Are you talking about a Windows Defender firewall or a third party firewall?
    • In addition to Windows Defender, do you have any other antivirus software installed?

In addition, if your downloaded file was deleted by Windows Defender, perhaps your file was not actually deleted, but was quarantined by Windows Defender, you can try the steps in the following link to help you recover your downloaded content:

How to restore files quarantined by Endpoint Protection to an alternative location - Microsoft Support

Please tell me the progress of this problem. If you have any questions or additions about this problem, please feel free to reply below. I will provide you with further technical help and look forward to your reply.

Best Regarts ,

Morning | Microsoft Technical Support Community

Morning - MSFT, Sep 2, 2024
  3. All files on Downloads folder gone after updating windows defender

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to recover the deleted files in Windows Defender and check if it helps.

• In the search box type as ‘Windows Defender’ and click on it.
    • Under the tab ‘History’ select the option ‘Quarantined items’.
    • Click on ‘View Details’ and check if any files are available.
    • If the files are present then click on the file and click on ‘Restore’.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Sep 2, 2024
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Issue with Windows Defender persistently detecting deleted file as a threat

Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Boot Windows into Safe Mode.

Open File Explorer, then on the View menu at the top, temporarily turn on 'Hidden Items'.

Navigate to this folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service

Delete the contents of that Service folder.

Navigate to this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Quarantine

Delete the contents of that Quarantine folder.

Close File Explorer.

Restart Windows in normal Mode.

Open Defender and select the option to perform an offline scan, your PC will restart to perform that scan.

Then check if that malware list is clear.

DaveM121, Sep 2, 2024
Thema:

1. Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender deleted

2. Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file: We were unable to download a file as Microsoft Virus & Threat scan bloked it. We created Virus execlusion policy to execlude its extension from the scan and we were able to download it, but its content has been deleted.Could someone tell me how to download the exexluded files...
  3. Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender deleted the content of a downloaded file: We were unable to download a file as Microsoft Virus & Threat scan bloked it. We created Virus execlusion policy to execlude its extension from the scan and we were able to download it, but its content has been deleted.Could someone tell me how to download the exexluded files...
  4. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder: HelloMy laptop started to sync to one drive and noticed that all my files in Downloads folder were deleted and not being sync. I am lost and lost 20Gb of data. Is there anything that I can do in order to restore these files?Thank you!...
  5. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder: HelloMy laptop started to sync to one drive and noticed that all my files in Downloads folder were deleted and not being sync. I am lost and lost 20Gb of data. Is there anything that I can do in order to restore these files?Thank you!...
  6. Microsoft deleted all files in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Download page for Microsoft Defender Update file

Download page for Microsoft Defender Update file: HelloI have the script that downloads for me McAfee update file daily. It uses this URL McAfee. It works fine for me. Hence I decided that I could use my script and only change the URL.I followed this URL: Update . Then I located my category i.e. "Microsoft Defender Antivirus...
  8. delete microsoft defender

delete microsoft defender: delete microsoft defender and stop windows updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/delete-microsoft-defender/93f64ffb-cdec-4c29-a166-1c0410fbbdba
  9. Deleted Content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Content: This Discussion got deleted! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-content/51ba5d35-5b76-4682-b94e-07582985c18a
  10. [Content Deleted]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    [Content Deleted]: [Deleted] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/content-deleted/22fa2081-21ba-4c24-9674-ffcd2a609457