Windows 10: Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

Discus and support Lost activation after replacing motherboard. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I know this has been asked much, and I followed all methods suggested but nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sofyan Btoosh, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

I know this has been asked much, and I followed all methods suggested but nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation. It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm on windows 11 pro, and I still have the activation key but it's not working in the "Change product key" tab.

:)

Sofyan Btoosh, Nov 9, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Hi Nitin

Yes, that page does seem to suggest, you can do that, so you should follow the instructions on that page, which should ensure against activation problems after replacing the motherboard, Microsoft do generally provide a one time exemption to change a motherboard
    on an OEM licence . . .

DaveM121, Nov 9, 2023
  3. Eray001 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the information.

But in one of the iterations of attempting to activate the license (while my account showed the $99 Windows 10 Pro Upgrade) I did login with the email account as you suggested (was the last tech I talked to after talking to the activation tech suggested). It still did not work and produced the exact same error messages as attempting it under my local account with my MS account being open (and also used for my Office 365 license). After it failed that was when he said the "$99 upgrade was single-use-for-a-single-motherboard only upgrade and could never be used again on a new motherboard". So I asked do you mean that when HP replaced the motherboard because the original had failed, I LOST that license forever, and he said yes, you need to purchase a new license.

I couldn't believe that was absolutely true, but then after trying all the additional suggested steps and it still failed, I was starting to believe it was true. Finally last night I clicked on the Store link and clicked Buy on the $199 Windows Pro Upgrade (only option that came up) and then after selecting PayPal for payment and clicked on the button to complete the payment - 1 second later IT WAS ACTIVATED...

So, as I mentioned, I have now paid $330 for a Windows 10 Pro license ON THE SAME PC.

If the $99 license is such a piece of ****, Microsoft should not be selling it. And when I bought it on 9/26/21 I don't remember a warning being displayed that stated "This is a single install, single use only upgrade for a single motherboard and will never work to activate Windows 10 Pro on your PC if your motherboard fails and is replaced by the OEM. That will require a new purchase of the Windows 10 Pro license." I knew it was for 1 PC only and was not transferable, but not that it was 100% tied to ONLY 1 MOTHERBOARD.

I am hoping now that I have given Microsoft another $220 for a 2nd Windows Pro License this will not be an issue in the future if the motherboard fails again, which of course, I hope that doesn't happen either. I also told the HP tech I talked to that they need to warn their users about this issue if they have purchased and installed the $99 Pro upgrade.

The odd thing now is, I only see the $199 Pro upgrade, not the $99 Pro upgrade. When I searched for the upgrade on 9/26, the only thing I remember seeing was the $99 upgrade. So I selected that. Had I known it was a waste of money I never would have bought it.

And the other odd thing is my MS account shows this PC twice - I assume the latest entry is for the new motherboard and the earliest entry is for the original motherboard, but not 100% sure. Both descriptions are the same, even the same serial number. One does state the OS is "Windows 10 Professional" while the top entry only shows it as "Windows Professional". BUT there is NO mention of the motherboard... If Microsoft is actually tracking "devices" only by their motherboard then that should be listed also. It should also list the date the device was added and it doesn't.

Anyway, my PC is officially licensed again, at a much higher price than I thought it would cost. So the license activation issue is resolved for me. But my concerns on wasting money on a 2nd purchase of a Windows 10 Pro upgrade are still there. But thanks for the reply.

Ray

Eray001, Nov 9, 2023
  4. Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 9, 2023
Thema:

Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

1. Lost activation after replacing motherboard. - Similar Threads - Lost activation replacing

2. Activation lost after hardware replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation lost after hardware replacement: It's an old computer that originally came with Windows 7 preinstalled and I later upgraded it to Windows 10 when it was still free and then upgraded again to Windows 11.A few weeks ago a power surge completely fried the PSU, motherboard, CPU and Blu-Ray drive. I replaced them...
  3. Activation lost after hardware replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation lost after hardware replacement: It's an old computer that originally came with Windows 7 preinstalled and I later upgraded it to Windows 10 when it was still free and then upgraded again to Windows 11.A few weeks ago a power surge completely fried the PSU, motherboard, CPU and Blu-Ray drive. I replaced them...
  4. Lost activation after replacing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost activation after replacing motherboard.: I know this has been asked much, and I followed all methods suggested but nothing is working for me.I changed my motherboard today and I lost my activation. It shows "Windows reported that the hardware of your device has been changed." but troubleshooting does not fix it.I'm...
  5. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  6. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  7. I replaced motherboard and lost Windows activation

I replaced motherboard and lost Windows activation: It was a motherboard and processor that I replaced. I tried to enter the product key and troubleshoot but it is useless. I get an error: 0xC004C003...
  8. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  9. activating windows after motherboard replacement

activating windows after motherboard replacement: Hello, I bought somewhere in the beginning of this year a new windows 10 license, digitally through the windows store, to install it on my new computer, 2 weeks ago my motherboard broke down and needed to be replaced. Now I am unable to activate it with the new motherboard....
  10. Windows activation lost after replacing motherboard

Windows activation lost after replacing motherboard: So I'm asking here because I can't actually put in a support ticket because the windows site is shit. I had to replace a motherboard and now my windows is saying it's not a legitimate copy despite the fact that I HAVE paid for it. It was in a bundle build and I do not have...