Windows 10: Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

Discus and support Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The "start" icon at the bottom left of the lower taskbar stopped working following installation of the latest security update. I have had to uninstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim Davis6, Oct 19, 2023.

1. Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

The "start" icon at the bottom left of the lower taskbar stopped working following installation of the latest security update. I have had to uninstall the update to restore functionality to the "start " button--is this a common issue??

:)

Jim Davis6, Oct 19, 2023
  2. GabryMail Win User

Taskbar and Start menu not working after the KB5031356 update failure

My PC just attempted the KB5031356 update released on October 10, 2023. It couldn't be installed due to a problem I've never encountered before, which is listed in the known issues of that update here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...045-3570-951fac64-5bf8-4eba-ba18-a9448920df1a. Now, after about 20 minutes of "undoing changes", my PC has restarted, and the taskbar and Start menu no longer work. Clicking on any application icon does nothing, and the Start button doesn't open anything, not even with the Windows key on the keyboard. Only the "Search" function works; the magnifying glass icon works. I've tried restarting File Explorer, a full restart, safe mode restart, sfc /scannow, but nothing has resolved the issue. I've also used PowerShell with admin privileges to run DISM with RestoreHealth, which completed, but the problem persists. On Microsoft's page, it says to reinstall the update after RestoreHealth, but it failed again, getting stuck at 99% and then saying "Couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes," and we're back to square one with the Start menu problem. Will the Known Issue Rollback (KIR) work, and will a new update be released with a fix? Otherwise, how can this Start menu problem be resolved, which is quite serious and inexplicable (if an update fails, everything should be as it was before; there shouldn't be lingering issues)? What's the purpose of RestoreHealth then?

GabryMail, Oct 19, 2023
  3. Desboro Win User
    Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Dear Vijay,

Thank you for your response: apologies for slow feedback.

Regarding step 1 - doing a restore point : I tried this twice and twice it failed. Now, the date of the update that caused the issue (13/14 September 2019) has disappeared from the history list. Is there a way of finding it, still?

Regarding Step 2- the list of updates installed: the two suggestions above do not seem to appear in the list in the window "Installed Updates".

There are two updates listed for 13 September - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

Could you advise what I might try next?

Thank you so much.

Desboro, Oct 19, 2023
  4. Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

Realtek network adapter not working after Microsoft Windows security update KB5031356

THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN:

Realtek PCI GbE Family Controller network adapter not working after Microsoft Windows security update KB5031356.

Updating the driver does not help. But after uninstalling this Microsoft Windows security update KB5031356 - the network adapter works fine again.

Vladimir Gordienko, Oct 19, 2023
Thema:

Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

1. Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue? - Similar Threads - Latest security update

2. Windows: latest security update is causing huge issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows: latest security update is causing huge issues for some users: If you have installed the June 2024 security updates for Windows and managed to boot into the desktop after the required restart, congratulations. Microsoft has just confirmed a new known issue that is affecting some customers. Here are the details: The issue affects the...
  3. Known issues with Microsoft windows defender latest version ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Known issues with Microsoft windows defender latest version ?: What are the known issues with micosoft windows defender latest verion 1.401.3.0? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/known-issues-with-microsoft-windows-defender/9f346964-b8ce-4e22-a593-1043272a4c26
  4. KB5031356 update issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5031356 update issue: I believe many people are experiencing the same issue. I searched for answers and tried the followings, yet nothing works.First update failed and leads to failure to reboot. Using the commands to recoverDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  5. KB5031356 update issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5031356 update issue: I believe many people are experiencing the same issue. I searched for answers and tried the followings, yet nothing works.First update failed and leads to failure to reboot. Using the commands to recoverDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  6. KB5031356 update issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?: The "start" icon at the bottom left of the lower taskbar stopped working following installation of the latest security update. I have had to uninstall the update to restore functionality to the "start " button--is this a common issue??...
  8. Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest security update KB5031356 causes "start icon to not respond. Is this a known issue?: The "start" icon at the bottom left of the lower taskbar stopped working following installation of the latest security update. I have had to uninstall the update to restore functionality to the "start " button--is this a common issue??...
  9. Latest Windows Update causes SSD Issues.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest Windows Update causes SSD Issues.: Hi, Just wanted to raise an issue that the latest windows update causes a hard drive error on my SSD, and leads to windows not starting up properly. In view of this, I managed to uninstall the latest update and now the errors are gone. As such, can I clarify if I am able to...
  10. Programs not starting, videos not playing, cause not known

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs not starting, videos not playing, cause not known: Hello, i have a ''unique'' problem that i have recently ran into, it started yesterday and happened again today. So i was playing Overwatch and after shutting it down and starting up Chrome, i soon noticed i couldnt play any videos, nor was there any sound coming out of any...