Windows 10: KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

Discus and support KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoskeDP, Feb 14, 2024.

1. JoskeDP Win User

KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 99 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 550 MB Partition 4 Primary 637 GB 566 MB Partition 5 Recovery 502 MB 638 GB Partition 6 Primary 292 GB 638 GB I presume my <OS partition index> = 4and <W

:)

JoskeDP, Feb 14, 2024

2. How to hide recovery partition (/set partition as recovery type) after following KB5028997 instructions?

I solely created the F drive (as a partition of the C drive) to act as the recovery partition after following the instructions. At the time I believed this would create a new partition that was of the recovery type (as labelled in the list disk function of diskpart) and as such would not show up as its own individual 790MB drive hence the reason for asking a way to hide/ change the type from primary to recovery like what I had before following the instructions laid out in "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update". So yes I would like to move the WinRE to the F drive and have the F drive listed as a recovery type so it is hidden.

Livid_Tech, Feb 14, 2024
  3. Broken Updater so I Followed WinRE Partition Resize, Now I Lost My Data

I've been frustrated with the broken windows update, so I decided to try following the guide "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update".

I followed the instructions and it turned my back up SSD and all my files into some recovery partition. I lost about 1 gb of various programs and important files that I had. I had to delete the recovery partition and use disk management to make it a functionining SSD again.

Even better, this did nothing to fix the windows update problem.

**** broken windows.

Default User 2285, Feb 14, 2024
  4. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

The New Microsoft Update didn't work so I followed their instructions on how to resize my recovery partition

Hello, I followed the instructions on resizing my recovery partition and nothing happened where I could download the new update. I checked my Disk Management and it doesn't say recovery partition, nor does it say healthy. I looked into my cmd and it says it's still there even though I deleted it per the instructions. It's still the same exact size as well. Did I mess up my PC? Is my recovery partition okay? I just listened to the instructions they gave me and now I'm kind of upset because everywhere I read online says you should've backed it up and once it's gone, it's gone. But nowhere on that page Microsoft linked to do this say anything about backing up my files. I'm feeling discouraged and worried about my PC now. I did everything on that list and I don't know how to fix this. The link to their instructions: KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update - Microsoft Support

Alicia Cohen, Feb 14, 2024
Thema:

KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

1. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update - Similar Threads - KB5028997 Instructions manually

2. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...: I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. In the instructions you need to enter the <OS partition index>. How can I find the OS partition index....
  3. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...: I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. In the instructions you need to enter the <OS partition index>. How can I find the OS partition index....
  4. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  7. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  8. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 99 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved...
  9. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 99 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved...
  10. Do I need to follow KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to follow KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install...: I tried to get the new update from KB5034441: Windows Recovery Update for Windows 10: Versions 21h2 and 22h2 from January 9, 2024. I got the 0x80070643 error, which referred me to this from KB 5028997: Windows RE location:...